1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

OK CRUISERX you are running now at 2.3ghz thats a little bit more than 10% which is ok how? running is there any difference?.

those temps are a little bit high thats do to your 10$ cooler jejeje.
    do you have any case fans?

2. striker68

striker68 Guest

I'm not having any luck with this overclocking thing. Anyone familiar with MSI mobos? Also, my graphics card needs a boost, I know this has prob been covered here, but I don't have the time to look thru all the forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005
  3. evilcow

evilcow Member

just wanted to post my system config here :)

asus p4p800 deluxe
    p4 3.0ghz ht @ 3.5ghz (goes to 3.82)
    fsb 942mhz
    thermaltake spark 7+
    1gb kingston dualchannel pc3200
    xfx 6600 gt w/zalman vf700 610/1160

with fans at full speed i got this temps, makes a hell of a noise (6000rpm):
    cpu idle: 20º cpu full load: 35º
    6600gt idle: 39º 6600gt full load: 51º

4. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

I had a quick question hopefully someone can help me I have

P4 3.0E oc 3.15 (not much)
    p4p800-se mobo
    2Gb pny pc3200 oc pc3700
    1x maxtor 300gb
    1x maxtor 80gb
    9250 Ati graphics card

does anybody know or has the same mobo how much I can oc it.I have gone up as high as 3.60 but my ram drops down to pc2100/pc2700(I just don't like it running that slow) does anybody know or can lead me in the right direction to make it faster.
    thank you

5. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

forgot to add FSB 919.94

6. evilcow

evilcow Member

well, i have a p4p800 and i can oc up to 3.82 with an 3.0 (have to reach 4.0) but i have to drop ram and agp frequencies to min. about the ram, it auto oc with the fsb/cpu if you have 400mhz ddr and you start increase the oc, it'll go up until a certain point then it drops to 266 to prevent damage in the ddr, if you force it to 333 and oc the cpu to 3.6, it'll auto oc to about 400 or a bit more, have do do the math, if you force 400 and try to oc it wont pass 3.15, i have the same problem.

7. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

thanks for the information evilcow

8. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hey striker68 i have some friends with the same mobo ill check it out the bios and everything and ill let you know...

9. striker68

striker68 Guest

Awesome, thanks.

10. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

im using an a64 3800 with an msi k8n neo2 platinum board which has built in overclocking. i have previous overclocking experience but i have some trouble witht this current setup. once i go even 1mhz over default speeds the computer becomes very unstable and all games will cause a reboot.

temp seems fine at around 45c so i was wondering has anybody else got the same cpu and board and tried overclocking using the msi core center?

if so how did the pc perform and what speeds did you get the cpu upto?

11. Jtay

Jtay Member

Hey guys i was wondering if i can get some tips, im sorta new to this stuff but i learn fast.

my pc Specs =

Radeon 9800 pro 128mb powercolor( With fan )
    A7V8X-X Asus MotherBoard
    Amd Athlon Xp 2000+ Processor ( Heatsink and Fan )
    512mb Ram
    300watt Atx Power Supply
    1.6 Volts

my speed im running at currently is 1667mhz and i tried increasing the voltage to 1.8 and setting the core speed to 2.1 it worked good just after awhile i went to play a game and my pc just shut off i tried lowering my voltage to 1.7 but it wouldnt boot so i set it all back to 1.6ghz. is there anyway i can get the 2.0ghz without my comp shutting down on me? or any tips at all to help OC my pc a little bit to get that edge so i dont have to go spend spend and spend :p well ty for taking your time to read and help out!

12. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

I used to have a very similar setup as you so ill try and help you out... could you tell me what cpu temperature you get on full load & idle both overclocked and normal?

also what hsf are you using? default amd, store bought by yourself or a high performance cooler?

Im asking this because what you describe seems like the most common problem of heat. One of the other causes could be the power supply as 300watt is a bit underpowered.

Im not sure if you mean you have took the cpu to 2.1 ghz but if you did this straight from default 1666mhz and also increased the voltage straight upto 1.8 then this was not a good move :p

increase by the smallest ammount you can each time and leave it running like this for a while in a variety of situations and if it remains stable then increase the speed slightly again. To get cpu usage to 100% use a program called prime95 and if you remain stable with this running for a couple of hours then it should be good to move up a few mhz.

I also like to run it through the latest 3dmark program a few times aswell just to be sure its all running good.

13. Jtay

Jtay Member

well right now i got the muliplier set to 14 now its running around 1.857 mhz and thats actually pretty good thats a little over clocked and my temp never passes 45 - 46 celcius with it that high. maybe something else i can do to increase it and be safe? well ty for taking your time to help.

14. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Unstable system...
    I recently built the new computer and everything is fine except that when I turn it on, the screen remains blank. If I hit the reset button it starts up fine. When it doesn't start, the computer doesn't beep. I went back into the bios and restored the defaults and that did not work. I had it oc'd to 2.5+ and it did the same thing. Once it started everything was stable and this thing screams. I would just like to not have to start it two or three times to get her going. Any info???

15. liuanator

liuanator Member

my cpu's temp is at around 48 degrees C without any OC and no heavy applications running. Isn't that a bit a high? and anyone have idea to how hi it'll be after i OC?

16. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello liuanator, 48 cº is not too high below 50c is ok amd diying temp is over 85c according to amd. but the higher the temp the lower the performance!!!.

every system is different,ambiet room temp,case air flow etc...
    but i think depends on how high you go with oc it can go from 48Cº to 55Cº ore more..

are you using stock fan,any case fans??

17. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Where do i find out my pcs temp.

18. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Reboot the computer and hold the appropriate key to enter the bios or setup. Usually Delete, F1, or F10. Go to Hardware Monitor and you can get your base temp without load. Then you can download a monitoring program such as CPU-Z. Look around for something you like. Then start a program that really pushes you cpu and check the temp under load. LOL.

19. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks for the info.

20. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

What do i use CPU-Z 4?