1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Right now the P35 seems to be the tops in overclocking. Very much looking forward to a DS3L, for cheap! Don't need all the extra goddies! LOL!!

Clockin On,
    theone

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

It will look like this only for a short time being (a matters of day to come) till we have a chance to really use one and especially with the same exact core sameple for ferferance.

On th otherhand is is not even fair to compare the "S" or "DS" series with any P35-DQ6, P5K, IP-35 Pro, & other flagship models for that matter. They are in the top of the P35 class and will likely remain there. It is not just cause they are more expensive, but the "3" for example I mention include such overclocking features needed to get more out of an overclock then any mid range or especially low en solutions out there.

Not to say you can't expect a fun OC with the DS3/R, but it is highly unlikely that you can get the same quality of say with the DQ6 for P35. But then it is only a 3rd the cost so not too bad for getting pretty close. Right? Right! Cool!

OH YA I got the latest Everest Beta v4.10 and it does have more reading so I will edit my earlier POST and share if interested on both the 4GHz/2000FSB and daily user 500x7 (3.5GHz).

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It's a lot closer than you think. The high end model P35-DS3 finished second overall to the DQ6 in performance and got 1 point less! This is GigaByte's new approach and this is the test MB! All P35-DS3s perform equally. I got this straight from GigaByte! The only difference is in the options! No Raid, only 2 Sata 3.0 ports and no firewire! $90!! The high priced one has it all for $179! I think it's a good idea! For me, since I don't need extra Sata 3.0 ports, firewire or Raid, I get in cheap and still get the performance!

Best Regards,
    theone

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

Are you comparing P35-DS3R to P35-DQ6 or older 965P-DQ6 or even newer X38-DQ6? Although points make for OK refference, the dont make up for the real world feel. Also if this is so (right now, w/ erliest BIOS) of the X38-DQ6 model I'm waiting for) then I'm not too impressed after all. I'll just stay with my ASUS on the Maximux Formula. In fact. My own in house test show the older ASUS P5K Deluxe shining ahead by respectable amounts of the P35C-DS3R on same DDR2 & E6750 on air. Some online LAB reports show it as even beating the X38-DQ6, so maybe this is why you found the simular results.

I'm really surprised at this as the sweet 3x4, 12 phase EATX cant outperform a simple 6 phase mobo. to give more FSB at stedier control. Are we talking max FSB v/s throughport power and performance? Cause My DS3R on 0+1 RAID is still slower at getting started copared to Abit IP-35 Pro on same set up, but very close behind on same 500+ FSB marks.

I am told by friend not to expect this Maximus to outshine the P5K Deluxe but much if any in the beginning. Bu like I said before, BIOS fixes can make the difference. Let's hope Gigabyte does something for its X38 solutions quickly.

To be fair though, I'm running all these test n a set of quad 74GB @ 10k rpm Raptors in RAID 0 + 1, and am told be some that they may act different on the lesser to mid range mobos compared to high end or especially SCSI PCI-E drop in cards. Sometimes the cheaper integrated RIADS cant keep up at high end OC's and become a lag on smoothness of OS and other benchmarks. You guys hear anything bout the WD Raptors having issues o some of these newer P35 based mobos?

Keep On Clockin'

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That's what I'm expecting. Like it or not GigaByte has to come through with a bios fix, for sure! They have to show a return of good faith in the people who bought all those 965-P, 1333 fsb boards in the first place, expecting to purchase 1333 CPUs when they become available. They'd have a riot on their hands if they don't make it right! LOL!!

I think there will be a whole heard of bios upgrades in the not too distant future coming from GigaByte!

Clockin On,
    Russ :>)

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Extreme Performance Cooling

I'm looking for unique performance cooling solutions for both GPU and Chipsets to integrate with a ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme on Intel ASUS motherboards. Today speaking of the ASUS maximus Formula SPl ED.

I know all you like to look around so if you come upon a item that is worthy of use for overclocking, please share it by posting liks or pix.

Here's my real challange right now. On ASUS Maximus and dual ATI 2600's in Crossfire, and the Ultra 120 in standard possition (fin venting facing front to back) I can't use both the HR-05iFX or iFX-SLI with any of the VGA coolers wich use one slot width on back of card. Most of the better VGA cooling for heatpipe and fans atop or aside, require a "3" slot usage with card in center andsome more extreme "4" with "2" in GPU side and "1" in bcak. And for my mobo and current PCI audio (waiting for PCI-E Audigy), it is limited as to what I can us as the only "2" PCI 32's are at eah end of the bus (1 over from 2nd VGA, and 1 at top, just ahead of 1st VGA), See the problem. I'm limited to only 1 slot usage to the back of card (limiting chipset cooler selection) or 1 to the front, but not 3 slot. However, if using 2 slot GPU side I have to move PCI audio to no "1" PCI at top and still in way of large chipset coolers.

So if anybody knows of any unique VGA cooling with single slot coolin or front or back convertable, please let me know.

Tahkx in avance!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    What about Water cooling for the VGA...It should only occupy one side of the VGA Cards...I know the HD2600XT cards do not warrant water cooling...but it would suit your purpose...

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Use HR-03s and put the backs underneath... They can be mounted either way round...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

The E6750 came today! I have another couple of days work that has to be done by Friday, so it looks like this weekend before I can install it in my 965P-DS3 and see what it can do! LOL!! I'll keep you posted!

Clockin On,
    theone

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it just me who's spotted this in the specs?
    "Capacity: Up to 120W cooling"

An X1900XT is supposed to use up to 130W. That's cutting it a bit fine, isn't it?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I said the hell with waiting! I installed the E6750, currently running at 3.4GHz 425x8 on a 1700 fsb. The thermal efficiency shows as it idles right at room temp with the cores a bit higher at 23 & 27C! Memory is at the same 5-4-4-12 as it was on the E4300! Motherboard temp is at 35C, so no problems there. I'll live with it for a day or so at this speed and then I'll up it to 3.5GHz. If that works out OK, I'll shoot for 3.6GHz

Stay tuned Kiddies!

Clockin On,
    theone :>):>):>)

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Lucky...

I wish I had an E6750. Anyone wanna buy an E6400?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

[​IMG]

Super Pi 1.5 in under 16 seconds @3.4GHz. Not bad!!!

Clockin On,
    theone :>):>):>)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What setting did you use to calculate?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    1M! Quite a jump from a little under 17 seconds, and I'm not done yet! HEE HEE!!

Clockin On,
    theone :>) ;>) :>)

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

[​IMG]

With me at 3440 Mhz :(

How are you doing better with a E4300 at 3.2 Ghz?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Not sure I can answer that because I didn't say it. Are you asking about the higher number, then lower is better! Here's Super Pi 32M!

[​IMG]

I've only run 32M once and that was a long time ago. I have no idea how good or bad this is! This is also at 3.4GHz

Clockin On,
    Russ

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Didn't you say quite a jump from a little under 17 secs? I thought you meant the timings improved when you switched out the e4300 with the e6750.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Yes I did, but in a different context! Everyone knows what I had before. I just posted Super Pi 32M score validation! I'm surprised it's that low! Don't know if that's good or bad! LOL!!

Clockin On,
    Russ