1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It probably good. BTW do you know how much of a performance difference is between 4-4-4-12 and 4-4-4-10 both at 1000Mhz?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I never tried it so I don't know! Given the multipliers I have to work with I wish I had bought some 1066 Ram!

Clockin On,
    Russ ;>)

3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I believe the Super Pi World Record is around 5 seconds...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Yeah but we're not looking for records here. Just trying to put the performance in context! It' almost 1.5 seconds faster than abuzar1's 6700 at a 40MHz faster clock speed 3440 vs 3400! Oh well, I got to go encode a DVD and see what that does!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha I wish I had a 6700. Also my 6400 has half that cache and that probably effects performance.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Just wanted to give you a little context...It was set cooling the CPU down to something like -132 degrees Fahrenheit...That might be a little hard to do on Air..:)

It wasn't that long ago the record was around 25 sec...They only broke 10 seconds a little over a year ago...So..Not to Bad...I would say...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    ROFLMAO!!!

I just encoded a DVD with DVDRB/CCE! took 11 minutes and change off of the same DVD I processed yesterday! About 20% faster! Mikey Likey! LOL!!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Are you serious??
    As far as I know this is the current world record
    Here
    Unless he has managed to get that qx6950 to around 6.5ghz,5 seconds is not with us just yet.But I hope you prove me wrong!!!
    Regards,Crowy.

Russ,congrats on the new build!!Have fun and keep us posted.
    I'm still waiting for the Phenom release next month(fingers crossed!!)
    I hope it delivers.
    Again(fingers crossed) hopefully by June next year I'd like to be into a 3.5ghz Phenom processor!!(We'll see!)

All the best,Crowy.
    Keep Clockin like ya STOLE it!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Crowy
    I could be wrong...I read the article a couple days ago...I know the seconds have been dropping quickly...

I think it was done in San Francisco...Live at a trade show...with a three stage Cascade Cooler...

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, it looks like the motherboard runs out of fsb between 427-430! It will run all day at 426, but it gives a warning signal when Orthos crashed! That's all right! I was planing on a GA-P35-DS3L anyway! Heat wasn't an issue at all. I even thought it might be a black hole that went away at some point but it just ran out of fsb. I having a bit of a time with Gigabyte! You all be the judge. This is right from Gigabyte's on line advertising!
    Now they're trying to say that it's only the Rev 3.3 that's supported! I told the guy flat out, BS! That's been added since the 1333s came out. My specs just came back on line today! They haven't been there for over a week.

If what he said was true, what was this add even doing in the Rev 1.3 section at all. It certainly implies that you will be able to upgrade your DS3 Rev 1.3 and above! Mine's Rev 1.33 and that's above 1.3!

They want me to go back to where I bought it and return it! In exchange for a P36 yet! I said I would try and if they wouldn't do anything for me to get back to him and he would see what he could do!

We'll see! LOL!! I may even try the F11 bios to see if it works better!

Clockin On,
    theone :>}

11. crowy

crowy Guest

I hope your right!!
    3 stage cascade is as cold as you get (for the lucky one's!!).
    Here's something more exotic!LOL!

Read THIS!!
    All the best,Crowy.

12. crowy

crowy Guest

Russ,
    Just get one of these!!
    Toms hardware
    Regards Steve.

Clock it up....Don't cock it up!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    No offense man but after 293 reviews at newegg, the P35-DS3L had the highest rating I've ever seen for any motherboard of 92%! Now they only list 99 now and the percentages have dropped to 81% excellent!

Weed out the idiots who bitched about what the MB didn't have, knowing full well that it didn't them when they bought it! Hey! Dummo's out there! How the hell can you now complain about something you voluntarily chose not to have when you purchased the motherboard in the first place? And for $90 yet! Especially when 3.8 to 4.0GHz on air is possible with the right CPU and memory!

I've got 1/3 of the equation, the CPU! Get some 1066 memory and a DS3L MB and I'll be good to go!

Clockin On,
    Russ :>)

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theone,

here's my super PI results at 32M, 14 min. 36.516 sec.

[​IMG]

be interesting to see how your E6750 compares when you bump it up to 3.6ghz.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Here is what I got at 32M.
    [​IMG]

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

I'm not sure I got you there. Are you saying now, you can't get 333FSB satble w/ 965P-DS3? Or are you saying they advertised the revision to guarenty 400 or 500FSB? I never seen an add to promise that from any mobo maker. As I did say and test myself, all these !975x and better binned out 965P's hit 400FSB out of the box when new. It meant "overclocking" though, not for use in "auto" unless you did the pin mod, then you'd need the BIOS fix to see stock 333FSB wich didn't come for a few months.

Now my experience has been the same even with the 965P-DQ6 for a max FSB of only 475 (tested last on F6BIOS). It is like the mobo and chipset limitations, cause even my E6600 on an ASUS can hit 495 wich is hard for a lot of them E6600's And we know it wasn't he mobo cause a E6300 did hit the 533FSB mark on a few !975X mobos.

In fact I used to think it was the E6600 limiting the OC beyond 500FSB but now thinking it is part the chipset (strapping an ddeviders). Does anybody still run this CPU to test on a P35 chipset to see if it in deed passes the 500MHz FSB mark? I did find CPU to FSB strapping to be an issue when going backwards w/ E6750 on !975X. few mobos allowed to strap FSB to 1066 and then OC. Weh I was able to it seemed more stable closer I got to 500 with the E6x50's. So maybe the same for E6x00 on P35/X38.

Just curious,

Ohya, can we get the DVD title, app rev. and settings (menues, subs, languages etc.) used for movie test as to refference?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    All it's going to see is 3.4GHz on this MB! Anything above a 426 fsb is a black hole. I've tried everything and 3.4 GHZ is it! Looks like I'll have a GA-965P-DS3 Rev 1.33 MB and an E4300 for sale! Anyone interested, just send me a PM! 2.5 years left on the Intel warranty too! That's a guaranteed 3.2GHz! LOL!! P-35 time! LOL!! The additional 2MB of cache and 200MHz more processor speed than the 4300, really helps and it multi-tasks like a mother! I ran Orthos for 8 hours with no problems. The temps got no higher than 47-48C and it idles at room temperature.

I went to intel to check the specs on the 6750 and I found something interesting.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

The voltage range is 0.85 to 1.5V. On the box the processor came in, it's marked 1.35v Max! I would tend to take the word of the site rather than a printed label so I may raise the voltage some more and see If I can up it to 3.5GHz. Cooling shouldn't be an issue with this CPU if you have decent case ventilation. I'm at just below 1.41v and it's cold as ice, 20C at idle (it's 19-20C in here now). Core temps are much closer to the CPU temp than with the E4300. The HSF barely turns at 500 rpm. The thermal efficiency is amazing!

Clockin On,
    theone ;>)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    The fsb is stable to 426MHz with no problem. Above that everything is black, or goes black as it's booting! If you read what I posted from the GigaByte web site, they imply support for 1333 chips! It says Rev 3.3, so what's it doing as the first item in the Rev 1.3 then? It's not there with revisions 1 or 2, only 1.3 and above, so it's very strongly implied that there will be support for the 1333 fsb!

I was on the phone yesterday with "Tom" at GigaByte technical support and there will be no bios upgrades to address this problem. Now they are saying that it's a limitation of the chipset! Their solution is to buy a P35 MB, and that's not acceptable to me! I'm not quite finished with them yet! LOL!!

Clockin On,
    theone ;>)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey, at least it's not ASUS tech support!