1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At this time of year I'd say it's between 23 and 26 (73 and 77F) - the PC is currently what heats my room, so there's a bit of 'feedback' in that respect.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I think that comes under the category of rubbing it in AMD's face!

Got my new one up to 3.552GHz 444x8! So close to 3.6GHz, but it won't do it, it just black holes and resets the bios!

Here's the latest benches and Super Pi!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think i can get any more with this MB. Still not bad though! LOL!!

Clockin On,
    Russ ;>)

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    After you posted this it got me to thinking about the temps I get with the 6750. I have the AC on most days as the sun hits my side of the house (SW Corner room) until mid afternoon. I would turn on the computer and see 17C, and ever so slowly it would climb to 22C over a couple of hours. I decided to check the temperature at the air vent on the side cover of my case and discovered it's 64F or 16C. Even if the room temp is 22C. The air outlet is only 4' away from the vent and blows right at it. If I turn the AC off, as I do from mid afternoon on the temps climb to 25 to 27C. I guess I never noticed this before, or it just hasn't been warm enough.

What I had been doing in the past with my other CPU was when the MB temp hit 38C, I would turn on the air. Now it never comes close to 38C. I've turned off the air as the outside temp is starting to go down, so I'll see what effect that has on the overall temperatures since it's just 90F (32C) out!

I remember you saying a couple of weeks ago that your temps can't be below ambient, but in this case they can, only because there's a localized cold air source blowing almost directly at the side vent of the computer! Interesting!

Thanks for getting me thinking about all of this. I learned something! LOL!!

Edit:Letting the room come up to 80F (23C) checking at the side vent results in a MB temp of 37C and a CPU temp of 27C!

Clockin On,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I went in and did a little fiddling and tweaking with the memory. I turned the memory to turbo and it fattened up the memory bandwidth a bit more. Not bad considering the chipset!
    [​IMG]

I also turned my graphics settings back to Robust! It all seems to work fine!

Clockin On,
    theone

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

For any interested, I'll be testing the E6750 on the DS3R under ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme.

These coolers really need to be lapped to insure the best interface with CPU IHS. You can get one already lapped from some places but will cost closer to $100.00 or $65.00 and lap yourself with a little effort. If not, expect to loose 2-3C.
    [​IMG]

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I guess no one seems to be impressed by 3.52 Ghz anymore. Although it is on air, and on an E6400.

How do you figure out the memory bandwidth BTW?

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Abuzar1,
    PC2-6400 is the speed in megabytes per second the memory module can transfer data.. So having two PC2-6400 modules in dual-channel 128-bit = 2 x 6400 MB/s.
    So Pc 8000 =two PC2-8000 modules in dual-channel 128-bit = 2 x 8000 MB/s. etc.
    This is where cpu speed vs memory bandwidth comes into play.

With the athlon cpu's a 3% increase in cpu speed is the same as a 7% increase in memory bandwidth.That's where you reach a fine balance between cpu speed v memory bandwidth.Not sure if it's the same with Intel processors.

Regards,Crowy.

P.S..... The pipes doing overtime tonight:)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Don't get too excited now! LOL!! We're all about to get "assassinated" by NuckNFuts very shortly with the same chip as mine, yet! LOL!! My bet is about 3.8GHz, Stable! Heat has never been an issue in any of the overclocking forums testing this chip. It just seems to lose stability above 3.8GHz! As far as the 6400 goes, you would think the 4300 would do better given it's higher multiplier, but it runs out of gas at a bit over 3.3GHz. I'm curious! What's your temps like?

As far as the memory bandwidth goes, most of us check it with Sisoft Sandra 2007 these days. I'm very surprised by the higher bandwidth as I though that the chipset was more responsible for that. It's a good deal higher than it was with the 4300.

Crowy,
    Does it get paid for overtime? ROFLMAO!!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My temps are in the low to mid 50's. That's not core temps BTW, they are like 62-65 when running prime 95.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

abuzar1,

I hope that low to mid 50's isn't at idle.

Russ,

what are you're timings set at? here's my sandra benchmarks from a while back but nothing has changed.

[​IMG]

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No it's load.

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

4GHz is been pretty common for the past few yrars now, but only on the right mobo and with the best of air or better yet, water. I myself have had every CPU to date since the 1st P4 s478 Prescott @ 4GHz. Only exception to this was the E6600 wich never was too stable @ 4GHz even on P5WDG2-WS Pro.

I think we'll find 4GHz more common as we see the new 45nm hit the scene and likely be hittin' for the 5GHz mark again.

I like the challange of the budget overclock. CPU's like the P4 506 & D805 are cool examples of the 4GHz on air. The E6300 may not have hit the highest clock but had the best overall OC in terms of bandwidth. A 100% FSB overclock. My classic fave was the old P4 2.4c (s478 Northwood) on P4C800-E to hit 3.20GHz.

For right now, the 4GHz challanges the mobo just as much as the CPU as it need to be on 500FSB for the 6750. And for the E6850, 4GHz is less of a challange. A small hadfull of P35 mobos will be good for 500FSB+ OC but many of the coming X38s are going to exceed this challabge in short time, especially when we learn to make best use of DDR3 and on the 45nm proc.

Clock On!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    That's pretty much the same problem I ran into with the E4300. Once I got it up to right around 3.4, it took too much voltage to stabilize it and it ran hot. It ran much cooler at 3.2GHz so that's where I put it. The difference in performance just wasn't enough to justify the risk of trashing the CPU and abusing the rest of the system!

If it was me in your shoes, I would lower it to where you get lower temps. It's nice to get to 3.52GHz just as it was for me to reach a hair under 3.4 with the 4300, but at the end of the day it's just too hot! I could live with low to mid 40s for the CPU and low to mid 50s for the cores when running Prime95, but your temps are just too hot!

NuckNFuts is going to obliterate my CPU marks with his E6750 anyway, as well he should! He'll be using a newer, motherboard with a chipset that's more designed to run this CPU, that has been known to clock the 6750 to 3.8 and higher. My older tech can't compete with his newer tech. I'm just pleased that my older tech MB did as good a job as it's done!

Mort81,
    And just how did you know it was blue??? ROFLMAO!!

My memory timings are 5-4-4-12. My benches are just a little shy of yours, but I'm also about 50MHz slower!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Are we taking the weekend off? O.K., it's Wednesday and time to get the clock going again. Let's hear soem cool results for the latest E6750 and /or P35/X38 users.

Just to note, I am getting better results with the E6850 on P35 chipset to 4.2GHz @ same so 4.0 is now a comfort spot for these E6850's @ 1.5v. That Q6700 hit 4GHz but not as stable and w/ much more heat. I will be anctious to see what quad core on 45nm can do beyond 4GHz.

Clock On!

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It's been very quiet the last few days! I'm as far as I can go with this MB at 3.55GHz, so there's nothing to report other than I like the hell out of the 6750!

I'm presently negotiating with GigaByte for an exchange for my 965P-DS3 v1.33 with a GA-P35-DS3R. They are in agreement that they mis-represented the old MB in their overview of it on their web site and are willing to make a swap. I'm waiting for their offer right now! It's all a question of "how much"! I decided on the "R" model instead of the "L" because I want to eventually use Raid. It's also a bit more heavy duty in terms of voltage regulation and has 8 Sata ports instead of 4. It also has 2 external Sata ports. Once I get the new P35 MB, I can finally see what the 6750 can do!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can they do that for my motherboard too?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I have no idea! I assume they do it on a case to case basis. It's been 5 days since I returned their e-mail so I should know pretty soon. I'll let you know what, if anything they will do!

BTW, here's my SuperPi to 32M

[​IMG]

I'm amazed! it's under 16 minutes!

Clockin On,
    theone

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Let's recap for a second. Is this because they don't claim native 333 (1333) support out of the box w/ current BIOS and in stock or "auto" mode? Cause this was the case for a lot of !975x mobos as well. Like my P5WDG2-WS when it was new, it would never have said core 2 dou ready but did eventually list as supportive as soon as the core 2 and binned P965's hit the market and offered a BIOS flash requiring an older CPU to be used to do the flash before installing the core 2. This later became the same for the E6x50 series on my same !975x from each ASUS and Abit.

I did look at the link you posted and it match what you said, but you also told us from the past few months that you were running @ 400 (1600) or above w/ a E4300 I believe. In fact a lot of early P965's in this tread were doing 333 (1333) easy since they 1st hit the scene.

Just Curious!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Yes I am complaining that there is no support for the 1333 bus. You read what they wrote. If you go look at the same url right now, it's disappeared! No mention of the 1333 bus. The original that I went by when I was picking a MB didn't mention the Rev 3.3 as it did until they changed it completely! I bought this MB with the intent of using a 1333 chip in it, and they encouraged it! Had I known at the time, I would have bought Rev 3.3 for about $15 more! I even talked to their techs on the phone about it an they never said boo! I have to say it made my choice of Asus or GigaByte much easier!

I'm a man of very strong principles, and GigaByte knows they did wrong! I don't think it was deliberate, but the cover-up most certainly is! It certainly was a sloppy job. I just happen to have screen shots of all 3 versions! The first one I captured was the info from their site just extolling the virtues of the "World's First Natively supported 1333 Front Side Bus"! The second one was where they added the bit about "from ver 3.3 up", to what they have now, which is no mention at all of the 1333 FSB!

I'm not alone either there is a number of complaints from other's as well who feel exactly as I do, that I was cheated! If I was GigaByte right now, I would swap every one without question if requested! First, it's good PR! Second, how many people are actually going to be looking for a replacement, especially those that don't overclock. They won't lose very much and.... well, word does get around!

Clockin On,
    theone

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007