1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Oh, O.K. now AI hear you. I had a 1333 strap for my !975X's but it did better as a 1066 strap on the Abit, My ASUS didn't even allow a 1066 strap manually, but the newer X38 ASUS Maximum does. So will be interesting to see how I can twek the CPU/RAM ratios to get the best of both high RAM MHz and CPU/mobo FSB. The P5K Deluxe was more picky with RAM deviders over 1.4x.

Soya, good luck on that trade up if they honor it. I do knw when it was me and my early P4C800 (non "E") trying to get the "E" Deluxe, they didn't go for it then or with the "E" version of the P5AD2. I'm cool with whatever they do for the MAXIMUS, cause I'm just waiting for ICH10R and better DDR31600. 6 - 8 months is fine, but if it was 2 or 3, I'd be mad again.

Clock On!

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I just heard from them this morning! $50 (USD) and my old MB for the GA-P35-DS3R. I think that's a very reasonable offer and will go for it!

Clockin On,
    theone :>) (<:

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Who is soya?

BTW what did you tell them to get a trade?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice negotiation!
    As for soya, perhaps he means "So, ya" in other words "so, yes"

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Just everything I said here! You couldn't do it the same way because I doubt that you saved the manufacturer's specs and overview like I did. I've done that with everything I buy as I screwed up Royally one time, going by newegg's information and have saved them ever since!

sammorris,
    They were very nice about it, and I think quite fair. This is what she wrote!
    I had very carefully explained to them that I believed that it was an honest mistake on their part and not deliberate. It also helped having screen shots of their specs and overview before they were altered!

Clockin On,
    theone

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well guys, my P5N-E SLI has finally bitten the dust, so I will be getting a P35-DS3R! Hooray!
    After wreaking havoc with keyboard and mouse control for a few days, a few BSODs and strange errors later it can no longer load windows, or even the windows installer.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    As long as it's still under warranty, return it for exchange replacement and sell the new one when it comes! Help defray the cost!

I downloaded the manual for the P35-DS3R and the MB is quite different from what is shown on Newegg! There are 8 USB headers on the back and the LPT (printer) port is on an "L" bracket for an expansion slot. Since most printers these days are USB, most people won't need it anyway!

I now have an E4300 for sale for a good price. 2.5 years left on the warranty. Drop me a PM if you are interested!

Clockin On,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, only time will tell. I didn't want to shell out the extra £15 for the DS3P since all I can really gain is an extra PCI express 16x slot. 6 SATA ports is enough for me in my desktop, it's my server that needs them.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I agree totally. The most bang for the extra bucks is from the "L" to the "R"! You get Raid, 8 Sata ports (6+2), the Extra-Durable2 features, 2 E-Sata rear connections w/power, full support for the Intel 45nm CPUs that are due soon and supports both DDR2 & DDR3. Should be reasonably "Future Proof" for a year or more!

Clockin On,
    theone

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? Half of that seems missing from all the specifications I read!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair, the three boards I've owned prior to this one have had gigabit LAN, as has the laptop I'm typing this on, so that doesn't really amaze me much, but being told '8 SATA ports' when on all the pictures I've seen there are only six confuses me. I can only assume it's revision 2 that has them.

Update: I have got revision 2, there are 8 SATA ports on the picture on the main website.

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"My Two Cents"

I'm using the Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, hence the "C" version is the DDR3/DDR2 solution, while the "T" is gonna be the descrete DDR3 for each P35/X38. The "P" does offer (2) PCI-E 16x but not sure if in ATI Crossfire yet, (is supported on P35, as is on DQ6 but only in 8x8, not dual 16x like that of X38 support), and of corse no nVidia SLI.

If you're not planning an upgrade for more then 8 months to a year, then think about the "C" version as it is DDR3 forward compatible and should keep you going for the rest fo next year if not planning on the expensive X38 in full DR3 flavor. Although, I believe DDR2 will serve as a good purpose for a good yera to come easily. For us overclockers anyways, who need and want those high RAM clocks over DDR1600, you're gonna' be waiting patiently for affordable DDR3.

Clock On!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

LOL!! Good! Because I was just sending you this! ROFLMAO!!!

[​IMG]

I was going to simply say "Count Em"! LOL!!

Clockin On,
    Russ

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Honestly, it is very few in my experience that actually utilize gigabit LAN as well as even have a 2nd 1000mb NIC PC to connect to or router. Cat 6 will be more improvement on a basic system for more bandwidth and even the better Cable Networks barely work just under 10mb.. I like the idea of gigabit LAN on a notebook, I use it myself, but not too people with Wi-Fi at home or work will even use or bother w/ a hard wire LAN, let alone 1000 LAN. I on the otherhand, have been using it since the early part of this decade when a drop in PCI 1000mb NIC was in the upper neighborhood of $900.00 and a bargon solution of $300.00, So yes, I was excited when my P4C800 offered a built Gigabit LAN, and CSA at that. Well worth the $279.00 I thought.

For the few that do, try upgrading to cat 6 and add a little

Clock On!

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have rev 3.3 so I might not get the same treatment.

@Mort
    Can you please edit that picture? It's making viewing this thread a pain, sorry.

EDIT: Nevermind, already on new page.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    The "R" version also fully supports all speeds of DDR3 as well as DDR2. See here:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...board&ProductID=2577&ProductName=GA-P35C-DS3R

abuzar1,
    The DS3 v 3.3 supports the 1333 FSB, and the new 1333 processors so there's no need to change motherboards!

Clockin On,
    theone

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but... you know, it's better lol!

Yeah I guess I'm good. I keep on thinking about making these upgrades, then I realize I can't pay for them!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    That was my position with GigaByte! I told them that I bought it because of their claimed support for the 1333 processors and then went and bought one only to find out that there wasn't any support for any 1333!

I just sent off the Credit Card OK today so I guess it will be sometime next week before the new MB gets here. I can't really complain about the $50, as I get more than enough extras to make it a worthwhile tradeup! Being able to use a 45nm chip when they come out is a big plus too!

Clockin On,
    theone

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

I was reffering to the P35C of any suffix to support DDR2/3. the suffix models "R" with no "C" in the prefix do not support DDR3, they are DDR2 (only) models. This is the one I baught when it was the only DDR3 model, but yes, now their is a budget DS3 and now S3.

Let us know how your new P35 and E6750 do you. Like I said, I did get 4GHz stable but the mobo gets hot under load around the PWR area so need to mod in a way to get some copper chip sinks over the 6 phase PWR reg IC's. I cut up small VGA RAM sinks from Enzotech and soem so small that it only used 1 single rod on a small copper base, but it should help. It can run as low as 1.49v under vdrop but as 1.52v Everest but set as 1.26875v in BIOS vcause of the big vdrop on these mobos and no CPU VTT and GTL REF adjustment. The ASUS P5K Deluxe only needed 1.52 BIOS to be 1.51v Everest and 1.49v vdrop loaded in Ortohs 100%. I will try to edit or repost the 4GHz temps results cause I got wrong readings from Everest Corporate and the Beta appears to work better.