1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I guess that was rev 1 of the P35-DS3Rs. I'm getting revision 2, which differs greatly from rev 1, and has Full DDR2/DDR3 support. newegg has their specs all screwed up. When you click on the Mfg. Product Page it takes you to Rev 2.0, but Newegg's specs are for Rev 1 so it doesn't show DDR3 support! The one I'm getting also has all the Ultra Durable2 goodies like the lower temp MOSFETS in the VR system and the Ferrite Core Chokes. The biggest difference I see between the "C", non "C", "R" models is the lack of Ultra Cooling with the heatpipe chipset cooler. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

I did notice the mis-link from NewEgg just today so I see whay all are confused. If you look for model GA-P35-DS3R and follow link, you do get GA-P35C-DS3R (the DDR2/3 solution). Neither of these will have heatpipes (Crazy-Cool System) That is reserved for DQ6 and new DS4 series. Ultra Cooling is just the large chipset and taller ICH8R southbridge cooler. (Note: most of these Gigabytes with large Ultra Coolers are popping off in shipping from Gigabyte so wont be Neweggs' fult, just to note. I never leave them on anywayz so no biggy for me).

Here is the correct link to the model I belive you to have ordered. , now look at the link for the model I have; . Note the difference of the letter "C" that follows "P35". Both only have had only 2 rev since new.

The two are so easily confused that I go my DDR3 "C" version cause the sales boy at Fry's missread the box even when I had the correct one in my hand. He grabbed another one and rang it up, and I didn't know I left with a "C" version till I got home but they were on sale for only $159.00 (used to be $180) so I kept it and thought to give t a shot. And they still have the X38-DQ6 I wanted. I may just order after Christmas.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Boy is my face red! LOL!!! I completely missed the "C"! I edited the post and you are right! I stand corrected! No DDR3 support for the plain "R" model!
    I've had very good success with modding the Stock chipset coolers with Arctic Silver 5 and putting a 40mm Silenex 6cfm on top of the NB cooler. I don't think much of Silenex's claims for being quiet, but I do have to admit that the one I have at 3200 RPM makes less noise than the fan on the video card, and you have to be less than a foot away from the computer to hear either of them! I've tried a couple of different chipset coolers and this just seems to work better so far. I have very good case airflow, with lots in reserve if I need more, so my MB temps should be good. This CPU is like ice. It's 28C in here right now and the cpu is flickering back and forth between 28 and 27C! And that's at 3.55GHz at 1.450v!

Maybe a week and my new MB will be here. I just sent in the Charge agreement for the $50 charge today! Can't wait to see what this E6750 can do in the right MB! According to what I've read in tests on the net. All the P35-DS3s I've seen tested did very well with this CPU! There was an E6850 in one of the tests too, and it was bad! Beat out everything but the top 3 Quad Cores! I know what the 6750 does now with this MB, and it should perform better on the P35!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  4. crowy

crowy Guest

Even at slow timings, DDR3 shows a great deal of promise. It is as fast as very fast DDR2 on the P965, but it can't match the same DDR2 memory performance on the P35. DDR3 can run at higher speeds than DDR2 and as faster memory timings inevitably appear DDR3 will be the right choice for computer enthusiasts looking for the best performance. While we can't prove better latency or significantly better performance with the slow timings of launch DDR3, the evidence is all there in these tests. DDR3 will get faster in speed and will provide the best performance in the long term.

That brings up the more difficult question: what to buy today? That is a much more complicated question. If you are looking for a new system, definitely choose the new P35 chipset over the P965, as it is a better memory performer. At launch we are told DDR3 will be much more expensive than DDR2. Prices are expected to be about $480 for a 2GB DDR3 kit. At that lofty price it is difficult to recommend DDR3 over DDR2, when DDR2 performs just the same on the P35 chipset and decent 2GB kits can be had for under $150 now.

Two conditions would shift the recommendation to DDR3 instead. When DDR3 prices come close to DDR2 then buy DDR3 instead. More significantly, when DDR3 becomes available at higher speeds and/or faster timings then definitely choose DDR3 if you are looking for performance - even if the price is higher.
    HERE
    Just a thought.....DDR2 seems to be the way to go.I think ddr3 is all overpriced hype for now.
    Regards,Crowy.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    From what I've seen of DDR3 performance to date, it's gonna be a while before the speed gets up and the price gets down. With a lot of choices at good prices for memory right now it's gonna be a tough target to hit. I think everyone's good with a MB like the one I'm waiting for, for another year, at least! There's a lot of problems to solve! Not many people been buying what's been out there for the last few months. Even DocTY tried some! The memory people and the chipset people have a lot of work to do.

Clockin On,
    Russ

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I see it like this from my experience so far. As long as we're comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. That means clocking and timing DDR2-1150 and DDR3-1333 cloose alike ie: DDR2 to 1260 @ 6-5-5-18 & to DDR3 to 1333 @ 7-7-7-20 and you can start to see the difference.

A good !975X with top notch DDR2 and my early E6600 can return better CPU/mobo/RAM scores then most P965 and even some low end P35's w/ DDR3 on a lower devider to match. Now some mobos wont let you run DDR3 too low and as tight to match DDR2.

Now even the die hard P5K Deluxe is scoring right on the tail of the Maximum Formula but testing is in early stage, so let's give it time to shine.

However, one cant go wrong buying into something like X38 on DDR2 and have the best of DDR2 for the rest of its life till you go full X38 on DDR3 and PCI-E 2.0 in true Dual 16x on DX10 and ICH10R. On the otherhand, if you want DDR3 today then stick with the tryed and true P35 ASUS on DDR3 and enjoy it till the newer X38's on ICH10R come to the table.

In any event, it's not a question of if DDR3 can outperform DDR2, it's a matter of what you're willing to spend. Sweet DDR1800 (PC3-14400)@ 7-7-7-20 (Corsair Dominators @ $574.00 will fufill a 6750 @ in 1:2 w/ plenty of bandwidth and fill as smooth if not snappier then DDR800 @ 3-2-3-8. And prices are as low as $310.00 for DDR1333 where as it over $500.00 just months ago w/ timings of 9-9-9-24. I am wishing i forgot the Maximum and went for the DQ6T for my E6850 as it is beautifull at a steady daily 4.0GHz on air and could really benifit from sweet PC3-14400 (DDR1800). Priced at a whopping $574.00 to date. Stay tuned, we should see PC3-12800 (DDR1600) closer to $300.00 in a few months I hope.

Imagine the ptoential of 4.0GHz in 1:2 DDR2000 @ 8-8-8-22! I'm, excited about it already.

Keep On Clocking'

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nucknfuts: Don't worry, I bought the C version. Well P35C-DS3R to be specific.
    As for gigabit LAN, we transfer HD movies over the network. We need it!
    Russ: I see the DDR3 and the 8 inside, but where are the two e_SATA ports you mentioned?

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Hey Sam...
    I see you are streaming HD Video...are you using a Media Center PC with a Blueray?..or a HD-DVD drive?..or a Combo?..
    What video cards are you using?..for Capture?..and Playback?..
    What HD playback software?..WinDVD?..or PowerDVD?..
    Are you using Vista in the Media Center PC?..or XP?..
    Lp...

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sam,
    I messed up! I accidentally got the P35C rather than the P35. No DDR3 support but the E-Sata Bracket is included. Here's the list of what comes with it from the manual!
    Box Contents
    GA-P35-DS3R, GA-P35-DS3, or GA-P35-S3 motherboard
    Motherboard driver disk
    User's Manual
    Quick Installation Guide
    IntelĀ® LGA775 CPU Installation Guide
    One IDE cable and one floppy disk drive cable
    GA-P35-DS3R: Four SATA 3Gb/s cables
    GA-P35-DS3/S3: Two SATA 3Gb/s cables
    GA-P35-DS3R/DS3: One SATA bracket
    I/O Shield

The Sata bracked mounts in a vacant case slot in the back. There's also external Sata power as well, in the middle between the two slots. No mention of the cables but I guess I will find out when the MB gets here!
    This is what Newegg shows coming with it. GigaByte doesn't show as much as Newegg!
    [​IMG]

Like I said, I'll let you know what comes with it, when I get it.

Clockin On,
    theone

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With any luck my DS3R will arrive on Tuesday, so not too far apart!
    Lp: We usually play them directly, we currently only have a 100Mbps network to my room so we can't stream them over the net. It's done using PCs with Windows XP. Things like MKV, TS files etc.
    We use VLC, Media Player Classic and Nero Showtime to play them.

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Sam
    So...you are Not using a Blueray or HD DVD drive in a PC?..
    What HD capture card are you using?..

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Neither, the files were ripped on someone else's PC and transferred over LAN to us. I won't say any more about it, if you know what I mean.

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

No Problem...Got it...just trying to find someone using a PC Blueray drive with Vista...I am having all kinds of problems with playback of blueray disc...I am convinced it is a DRM problem with Vista or simply a Blueray disc problem...I am reading that certain Bluerays disc just won't play like they should...The Vista hourglass comes on...then the movie playback just stops...does it on certain disc...others play fine...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I remember hearing about that. If I remember correctly, there's something within Vista that pertains to DVD regions (specifically, High def) that you can disable. How you disable it, however, I forget. Not sure whether it was a 'legitimate' function or not.

Are you using DVI to your monitor? I believe that triggers Vista to check for HDCP...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    It sounds like Excedrin Headache #454! LOL!! Blu-Ray and Vista! Yikes!!!

Clockin On,
    theone

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the bum of it. It's simpler to do it our way...

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Sam
    All disc are legit...Computer is HDCP compliant...Using DVI to a DWIN Projector...

Some disc will not attempt to play with PowerDVD...the same Disc will play with WinDVD but randomly Freeze...while with Power DVD will not attempt to play because of Region Codes...even thou...every thing is Region 1...and set to Region 1...

I have WinDVD and PowerDVD...having the best luck with the WinDVD play back so far...

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs,

The model you described is not the P35C, you do have the P35 so of corse, no DDR3. Also the P35C (and likely the non C) does not have true E-SATA. It is only a standard SATA bracket w/ molex pwr and standart SATA cables (so no E-SATA cable needed or compatible w/o adaptor) to the "2" extra onboard SATA porst (purple).

Also, so your current P965-DS3 did not have gigabit LAN? You are gonna' need a 2nd PC with gigabit LAN support on a gigabit switch, HUB, or router, otherwise direct connect to 2nd PC to get the spped benifit. Also, for HD media, I like to useCAT-6 for the aded bandwidth over CAT-5/5e.

Lp531,

I use Blu-Ray but for right now just play via set top unit for simplicity & space (Sony PS3 console). I archive only HD-DVD to ISO for conversion to Blu-RAY or play as file like "theone" for smoothness via Nero ShowTime or WinDVD 8 Platinum HD (yes I notice slow responce in WinDVD too but smooths out). Servered from S2K3 ENT R2 SP2 x64 to XP Pro x64 SP2 (DVI) and HDTV in 1080i.

Hope that helps!

Keep The Clock Going!

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

NuckNFuts, eventually you will run out of ideas and stop putting things at the end of your posts lol!

BTW somebody called to buy my computer today, so I might jump on the Gigabyte bandwagon when I build me new PC.

Actually that's a lie, I already own a Gigabyte board, but that P35 chipset looks awful fine lol.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I messed up and got the P35C information by mistake! No DDR3, and
    the E-Sata is really only an extension cord from any 2 Sata ports with power from a molex plug. The cords I was talking about were the external hookup cables that would go from the Sata bracket, to an external hard drive.

As far as the Gigabit Lan goes, my GA-965P-DS3 does too have one! Apparently only the v1.33 has the Gigabit lan. In the hardware manager of the control panel, mine reads: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. It also says it in the manual listing speeds of 10x/100x/1000x. I prefer CAT-6 to CAT-5/5e cables myself, and have been using them for a while now! I also have wireless, but even at 108Mb/s, it's much slower downloading a large video file. Fine for normal things but I switch to the Lan for any really large files!

Clockin On,
    theone :>)