1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've ordered the P35C version, so I should have DDR3 ports. Now if only I was actually planning on using them! It surprises me that a not very old board has 100Mbps LAN in it's early revisions! My A8N-SLI SE from early 2006 had gigabit LAN, before it went south...

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The Asus P4P800-SE for my old P4 had a gigabit lan as well. So did the P5P800-SE for the D-940!

Clockin On,
    theone

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then why didn't the first DS3? Was it a bug?

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    No, they just came with a JMicron lan instead of the Gigabit. The GA-965P-DS3 was one of GigaByte's best selling motherboards, ever! I think with the popularity of this MB for C2Ds, when they came out with the improvements in v1.3/v1.33, someone decided to give it a better lan. The v1.33 has HD sound with both co-ax and optical hook-ups as well as better 6 Phase voltage regulation than the 3 phase of the original DS3!

It's been a great MB that's given no trouble and was a piece of cake to set up and overclock! Even the E6750 performed well in it in spite of not being supported by the chipset! I'm anxious to see how much better the P35-DS3R will be with my E6750. Time marches on, and so does the technology!

This last year, it's been all Intel! Who knows what next year will bring. Regardless of what AMD does, unless it's something mind blowing, all Intel will have to do is put their memory controller on the chip and it will be Deja-vu all over again! LOL!!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good stuff. I feel kind of bad ousting my P5N-E given how my system has perked up rather well, but nonetheless I feel it due to get a board that I can OC my CPU with, without fear of setting fire to the chipset...

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Cheer up! I know exactly one person who ever got all the potential out of a P5N-E and he's in this Forum! He's also got 4x512 for memory and got to 3.6GHz with it! Never knew anyone else that could get one to run with 4 sticks of memory! His was also one of the earlier buys. Even after all this time, you still can't buy a P5N-E that's as good! Makes me no sense whatsoever! Seems to me that if you could make something work properly at one time, then you should be able to do it again! I don't know what the deep mystery is but they still don't handle 4 populated memory slots at all! They should name it "The Blue Screen Express"! Sounds like a joke, right? The fact is, I saw more Blue screens building Gina's than I saw in all the previous 18 years! I got people from Asus on the phone that don't have a clue as to what the problem is or what to do about it, but ask the same stupid questions over and over again as they switch you from person to person!

The stupidest part of the whole thing is that I was actually going to build my 4300 on a P5N-E! ROFLMAO!! That was until Mort whacked me upside the head with a 2x4 and reminded me of all the problems I had just gone through, so why in the world would I want to risk going through them all over again? Thank you Mort! A moment of insanity, erased! LOL!!

I guess I'm going to be the local GigaByte Fan Boy from now on! LOL!! Crowy's got DFI, so I got GigaByte. The way they handled the exchange of my motherboard for a P35 was fair, reasonable and handled fairly quick. The new MB is on it's way. I just got the confirmation that it on it's way! I like the way they do business!

theone

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I can't speak for much of the other, but I have been using ASUS for so long, I did and was onboard since their 1st integrated 1000mb NIC and very soon after their 1st CSA integrated LAN on !875P only. ASUS was good to give at least standard PCI integrated 1000mb LAN on their 2nd from top models like P4P800. Even the little P4P-$ got it.

As for Gigabyte, I'd figure ti be in order to keep price low for medium to bargin models, and only added as parts cost was afordable.

Let's face it guys, if we wanna stay close to the front line, we're gonna' upgrade every 4-6 months, 1yr max at the very least and thats pushing it these days. I figure it to be an average of $50.00 a month to keep in the front line of the overclocking game if the average top end mobo is rounding at $300.00 lately. ($100.00 per month if upgrading in 3 months and believe me, I did it a few time to many.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Laugh all you like, but I've only seen two BSODs I think with mine, one very recently after it started playing up. Having got 3Ghz out of it too, I wouldn't say I'd done too bad, up until the recent issues.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Not laughing at all! I'm just glad you didn't have to go through the "Ultimate" BSOD from Hell session of all time, for 3 straight days! You have had higher than normal temps from the beginning though, especially with the chipset, something I didn't experience with Gina's, and her's was set up with the stock cooler. Her's is clocked at the same 3.0GHz as yours and her case is not as well cooled. She actually gets upset if her MB temp hits 37C! LOL!! Called me on the phone and everything! LOL!!

theone :>)

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"Keepin' It Forward"

Those of use here who kept it modern on the cool stuff remember what it was like moving to S478 Northwood in late 2000. We went !845 with sluggish PC-133 to !845D for new DDR266, later 333, ICH2 with Promise RAID and Later ICH4 with Intel USB 2.0 (ASUS let us use 2.0 on the P4B266 in mid 2001), new 533FSB and 533 L2 suport. All that to take in in justthe 2yrs till 02' as we got ready to venture into 8x AGP and FSB 800 and new 1k BASE-T LAN onboard.

Today, we wait for 45nm 1600FSB quads & Extreme X48 chipsets, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3-2000, XMP - Intels version of SLI RAM profil, and ICH10R are just a few to come this year, PCI-E audio cards, and yes, the Intel onboard memory controller is in the works again. We already have GDDR4, HDMI out

Wow, how long ago it sounds.

The Future Is Clockin' it Forward!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My northbridge idles at 36C according to speedfan/everest/the BIOS, but it's actually around 70-75C according to a thermal probe, which isn't lying, because it hurts to touch it.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes, that would be a bit higher than 36C! LOL!! I don't think I ever came across a chipset that got hot enough to be painful to touch. Then again I've replaced a lot of motherboards because of bad chipsets so maybe they were hot to begin with too!

theone

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I can't touch mine either! It burns my finger when I do, and Everest reports it as 42C!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it's not just my board then, fair enough...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Maybe it's just our boards then. Russ doesn't seem to be having a problem.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1 & Sam,
    Sam would remember, but I did have a problem with the NB getting hot (47C) until I added that Silenx fan to the heat sink. You could still touch it though! It wasn't uncomfortable even when touching it with the back of your hand! We'll see how the next one does, seeing how it's chipset is supposed to run warmer. I'm gonna try it this way first, with the silenex fan and see how it works. I may have to buy another one as the NB heatsink is about twice as long. Of course I'll mod the heatsinks with AS-5 first!

theone :>)

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

According to speedfan, the chipset on my old compaq(no video card in my main machine so I use this now), is at 10C. I beating you all lol.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Considering that the room would have to be under 50F, I'll say LOL Too!! I'd also say your temp sensor isn't working right either! ROFL!!

theone

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I gots teh cold romez

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Heatsink hot to touch

This is normal to some degree if the heatsink is working propperly, and yet NB is reporting in safe comfortable range of 35c-40c. This means the heat is moving away from the heat sorce efficiantly so now it is up to surrounding airflow to take it therest of the way.

I find heavy copper with rod type stems to be most effective for this as they allow sink to completely obsorb the heat to be moved by air. Thin copper and especially aluminum cant obsorb the heat quite as fast and tent to cool down much quicker, thus cant fully disperse as much heat in the same amount of time.

This why I can get a small 40mm round copper sink of 2.5mm rods without a fan to cool much more effeciantly the a thin finned aluminum heatpipe unit with moderate fan forced air through it. Both tested on !975X chipsets to 1.6v and solid Enzotech idled 33c, loaded to 36c and ThermalRight with 60x10mm 3000rpm fan idled to 35c, and loaded to 38c. The Enzotech was in the SilverStone TJ-06 tunneled case with very adequate air movement over chipset.

It ended up taking a 80x15mm fan to keep the ThermalRight version equal to Enzotech. Add a 40x20mm 3200rpm to Enzotech and bring a hot P35 @ 500FSB to 34c loaded 28-30c idle in colcase and cool working room.

Is The Heat On?