1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

cpu-z is an application that tells you what cpu u r using,vcore,clockspeed,memory info like mem timmings,brand and mem volts.

2. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

whats the name of that program for ati cards that scans for artefacts called? i had it a while back and i must have deleted the file. cant think of its name now.

its a popular program so should be an easy question.

a link to it might be useful too :)

3. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Not quite sure, what do you mead artifacts?
    Might want to check http://www.atitech.com and look under drivers & software.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

hi found this thread quite helpful, was running my xp2500 barton at bog standard speeds for ages got bored about a month ago, so started finding all the info i could, and low and behold this forum came up a hell of a lot on the searches =o)>, taken my time to read most of the posts, was blown away by the -70'c cpu, but a bit expensive, also searched for modding psu's, added a fan to the bottom of my psu to help my cpu stay cooler, stays at a reasonable 44'c now, and only goes up to 47'c under heavy load, i like to use a nice fractal genteraging program , that way at least you get some nice videos as a nice little side effect =o)>
    i know that Foxconn mobo's arent the best but mine seens stable so until i find unstability i will stick with it =o)>

good alround thread this , saved me opting for watercooling ;o)
    next thing to buy is a nice gfx card, thinking of the msi 6800, seems reasonably priced for the performance.

5. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

[bold]^^teach and learn..ddp^^[/bold]

6. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Definitely teach and learn. Learning is first though...

7. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

i was wondering if when you overclock the amd 64 if it will show the authenticated name on the system properties or will it show its overclock name liek for example i have a AMD 64 2800+ and if i overclock it to like a 2.0ghz will it read like AMD 64 3200 ? or so on i been playing around i havent goten passed 2.0ghz but i went aorund there and it was stil;l reading 2800+ but i have to continue playing around i have a DFI Lanparty 250gb board btw...

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Well been looking at alot of case options for a couple weeks now, and after much thought i have got together with a mate with a metal workshop, and we have decided to have a go at making alu modular cases, with panels to support all the options an overclocker would want, good cooling, good customisation possiblities, panels to fit in with what ever you want, and if we dont do it we can make it attitude, unfortunatley at first these will only be availible in the uk(if all goes well) with the possibility of selling a franchise to other companys in different countrys with limited control. one question i would like to ask people is whether they want a case fan and ducting mounted about the cpu, as im looking at having the powersupply sectioned off away from the main air of the case. guys tell me what specs you would want to see in a case and if its possible, we will see about making a case for the o/cing cummunity, we recon that we can be much cheaper than most of the exclusive alu case manufacturers :eek:) so plz any input would be appreciated, many thanks..., i think this post belongs in the o/c forum cos its for you guys :eek:)

9. barun

barun Member

well
    overclocking is like a nightmare for me.
    i got the athlon 64 3000+(1.8)

cant even overclock it upto 3200 or 2.0
    i read the other threads and tried to overclock it but couldnt overclock it.

guess its the fan .
    cpu's temperature is 38c in normal.

can any body help me tweaking my cpu

i got 1.5gb ram.
    msi neo 2 f
    450 psu

10. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Yeah, I hope I can help.

I got mine up to 2250 with stock cooling and no memory tweaks. Corsair Value Select mem at that. I was having boot problems that seemed to be an oc issue, but 2 days prior I had it oc'd and then I couldn't get over 2.0. Turned out that the kvm switch was causing the boot problems and was making me think that the oc was the problem. Try starting over, if you just built it you may want to wipe it out and reinstall. If it boots stock, up the fsb 5 mhz. Keep going till it doesn't boot. If you can lower the htt multiplier that's not a bad idea either. Mine goes up to 5 giving a 1000 mhz transport. I've heard that for stability, you shouldn't have it set over 1000. And someone posted that anything over 500 is useless. Didn't verify that though. Do the cpu overclock first and then mess with the memory. Unless you have to divide the mem to find the fastest possible cpu speed. Don't change too many things at once or you won't know what the problem is. And last, but not least, upgrade your bios. Actually upgrade the bios first.

Later,
    Joe

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm looking to possibly overclock my AMD Athlon XP 3000+ to something a bit better than the 2165mhz standard. I am encouraged by the success of other people's overclocks on slightly slower variants of this CPU.

My current heatsink (soon to be replaced) is the AK785cu, which runs at 55ºC idle (131ºF) and 61ºC heavy load (142ºF)
    I am replacing it with an Arctic Cooling 2l Copper heatsink , which i am told runs at a maximum of 55ºC, presumably on the lowest fan setting.

My front side bus is 333mhz, as is one of my 512MB ram sticks (but not the other two, they're 400, but of course run at 333).
    I am planning on putting coolermaster (or similar) paste between the heatsink and the CPU as opposed to the standard thermal pad.
    I will also hopefully soon have 6 extraction fans (2 via PSU) and 2 intake fans. Current is 4 extraction (2 via PSU).

How far do you think I can overclock with nil stability loss?

EDIT: In reply to an earlier post, I am fairly certain any overclocked CPU will show its labelled name, no matter what the clock speed, but the actual reading of the core speed will of course change. By increasing the speed by 10% of an A64 3200+, don't expect it to say Athlon64 3500+, it will be 3200+ but show, say a 2200mhz core rather than 2000.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  12. merlin112

merlin112 Member

Well I don't know why your 3000+ is faster than mine at normal speed, but I got mine to 2.25 with stock cooling and about 38 degrees. Seems like it wants to go faster. Try going up in 5 MHz increments and keep it below 75 degrees.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

75ºC has always been my maximum figure, partly because it's the default red zone on Hmonitor, but I'm worried that damage could occur before that frequency, since there is obviously a point where the electronic signals are too weak to operate properly, hence VPU recover in graphics cards. This has occurred even with a slight increase in mhz on the GPU, so I am a little wary of adding speed even if the processor remains cool.

And another thing, how do I check what temperature the CPU is, since surely I have to enter the BIOS to change the cpu clock?
    I only know of using Hmonitor in windows, and if i have to adjust it 50 times, that's a fair amount of boots, and it may be too late to do anything if i take it one notch too far...

14. atlcj0010

atlcj0010 Guest

hi everyone. My mobo is the AOPEN AX4BS, and i am just beginning to overclock it. Now the mobo can handle 2.6ghz and my CPU is 2.6ghz. So if i try to overclock it will it work? I have overclocked it up to 2.86ghz, but i am not sure if that is making it run faster. can i overclock it all the way up to the highest it goes? when i overclocked it up to 3.004ghz the computer started but when i was in aim and i pressed enter to send a message i believe my speakers were out. does that mean that it cannot be stabilized at that point.? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15.5% is quite a steep overclock, and you may possibly start to encounter problems from that point. One point worth noting is that with most motherboards, overclocking is synchronous, meaning that as you overclock the CPU, everything else does, not just RAM as in all cases, but the AGP and PCI buses too. If the PCI bus stsrts running too fast, certain sound cards may not function correctly. This could be onboard or dedicated PCI sound. The only sound cards that are safe are USB2/FW external ones. GPUs will also become overclocked at the bus end, but usually that isn't a problem since GPUs are a bit more tolerant of overclocking than sound cards, but with hefty increases in FSB, you may want to keep an eye on things, especially with integrated GPUS (since they often use PCI rather than AGP)

Certain motherboards offer asynchronous overclocking so you Don’t have to worry about this lot, but it's best for you to consult your Mobo manual for this. If your motherboard does support AOC, then you may possibly be overclocking your CPU too much, though it SHOULD be ok at 3004mhz (don't blame me if it dies at that speed). if not, then your problems may lie with your other hardware. In either case, try dropping it to around 2900mhz and see, and above all, WATCH THE TEMPERATURE.

16. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello, sammoris that only happens with via and some sis chipsets..
    thats why nforce 2 is so great you can boost everything separate!!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep. Shame i personally have a VIA chipset. The nForce 2 is certainly one of nVidia's better creations...

18. Capncrash

Capncrash Member

HI all this is one of the absolute best threads I have ever read. Thank you all for your help. And I must say that sometimes one or two things will kinna stick in you head ( an you don't know why) but Dr.XP you have come a long way bro!! I have been lurking this forum for what seems an eternity and have in a way watched you grow......Nice job man. I have posted here before asking for help and I need it again..... I have a gigabyte 7VT600-RZ(-C) mobo and Award bios (current updates to both) and AMD athlon xp 2800+ but I cannot get to my multiplier. I am sure this is because of my mobo, but then again I am not 100% sure. I cannot get past 2.27Ghz and be stable. I am trying to get to 2.30 but just fall short.I have plenty of cooling volcano 11 on the CPU Artic silver thermal paste and case fans up the wazoo. Any advice? Thanx in advance.

19. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello capncrash thanx man, when i first post in this forums i knew notting and i learn a lot here like ddp always says [bold]teach and learn[/bold].

ok first of all im sorry to say that your 2800 xp+ barton core is well lock(amd info.) as the rest of us is :( so forget about changing the multiplier.

some other thing ive been reading some reviews of your mobo it is a value mobo it is power with a [bold]value(cheap) version of the via kt600 chipset which even at stock speeds warm´up a lot[/bold]. also via chipsets are not good overclockers because when you raise the fsb everything else(agp bus,pci bus etc..) raise too thats why your mobo wont let you go far pass 2.2ghz.
    what about your ram give me more info like speed,brand etc...?

here´s a good and complete review of your mobo.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1597&page=3

i think your mobo is the main limitation here.

hope i help
    let me know!!

20. Capncrash

Capncrash Member

Hey bro, thanx for the reply. Yeah I read that review of my mobo and I definatly knew that it was a value version (Cheap) I for the life of me cannot remember what memory I have other than a stick of 512. LMAO it is late and I will look it up tomorrow. Thanx for the replie and good work man. Thanx for helping me confirm what I was thinking. I am about to upgrade to the AMD64 chip and I will be researching it and learning more before I do it.