1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Neverhap

Neverhap Guest

NuckNFuts, interesting question, what do you do with all those computers?

2. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Whats the highest youve heard of an E6600 at 1.4then?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    I don't know but Mort81 had one running at 3.6GHz at 1.4250. I believe he lowered that to about 3.4GHz for everyday use to lower the voltage and gain reliability on a day in, day out basis.

How hot was the CPU at 1.55000v? I know heat was an issue for the E6600 and E6700. That's the main reason I went with the E4300, waiting for the 1333 chips to become available. I was seeing 3.2GHz with the 4300 at 1.375v. I could push it harder to almost 3.4GHz but it required too much voltage to remain stable and my core temps went crazy. Given what I know now I would be quite happy with 3.4GHz out of an E6600 at a reasonable voltage below 1.40v. Still might be a bit warm, but with a good cooler, it shouldn't be a problem.

If I may make a suggestion! Be more careful in the future when adjusting all the voltages. Take things up in small stages and test, test, test! Memory is a good example! Some memory are 1.8v, some are as high as 2.2v so you have to fiddle around a bit to get it right. Some of the older 965P (and others) motherboards wouldn't even post with some memory. I've known some folks that had to borrow a stick of lower voltage memory, just so they could get into the set-up and raise the voltage before it would work!

The best thing you can do with Easytune5 is un-install it! Stick with doing your overclocking from the bios. Also, Easytune has problems with some monitoring software like my current version of Everest.

Did you upgrade your bios? For some reason, some seem to think that they need the latest bios for it to run better. I can assure you that that is not the case. bios upgrades are there to address specific problems! Rule of thumb is if you are not having the problem that the bios upgrade fixes and it runs fine, don't upgrade. First off, it's dangerous! Screw up a bios flash and you have no computer and no way to fix it, short of a new bios chip being shipped to you or another MB. I tried a bios flash to the F11 bios for my 965P. All it did was make my CPU run hotter and my CPU fan make more noise. I didn't gain anything so I went back to the F10 bios and it ran much cooler and quieter.

BTW! If you experience a point where the power turns on and off but the computer won't boot, turn off the power supply and pull the AC plug for about 10 minutes, and it should boot right up!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone

4. tinytom

tinytom Guest

I did take it one step at a time on voltages in core temp at 1.5v idle was 34/34 load was 58/58 on air so still not too bad.
    At 1.4v Ive got 3.4rock solid with 50c load and 29idle.

Ive got a comando for my g0 quad with FULL water crazy spec sheet on that but will that mobo really let me push the quad...?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    Yes, but I'll wait for the new quads! Read here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/intel_penryn_4ghz_with_air_cooling/
    That's the reason I wanted my new MB! What I would really like is this!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128066
    That's what Tom's Hardware used. 4GHz, Prime95 stable! Amazing! Very low power draw as well. The only other tests I've seen were done under controlled conditions using Intel Bad-Axe motherboards. It's nice to see that the DQ6 does such a great job.

theone :>)

6. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Ill have to wait until the price comes down on the penryns, upgrade this time next year maybe..?
    Mobo looks good tho again like to go ddr3 but will have to wait for next upgrade, spent way too much anodising(outside) and powdercoating(inside) my new lian li 343b.....!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately the revision 1.1 I saw from the board, I don't know how you'd tell in software. Thing is, I've looked at the specs for the 2.0 and as far as I can see my board's identical to it. Meh, I'm not fussed, as you say I'm pretty much at the limit for my CPU, it runs cool as ice, whisper quiet and is still rock stable, at only 1.39V core. Better still, I found out that at DC, my PC's only drawing 200-210W DC, so I'm using far less electricity than I realised! More interesting still, my PC and my fileserver use the same amount of power at idle. Consider that the server only has an X1600 Pro in it. At the moment they use the same number of hard drives!

8. tinytom

tinytom Guest

So is there anything else I can do to mine to make it quicker?
    Ive gone back to 3.4ghz - 380fsb, 1.4vcore, 1.3fsb, 1.5nb and ram at 760mhz 1:1 at 4-4-4-12

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    Run some Sandra benchmarks and see what you have now. You need to see the Processor Arithmatic and the memory bandwidth so you know where you're at now You want the Try setting the memory to 2.40. That should give you 912MHz for the memory. If that works OK, try setting the memory to Turbo. Don't get all fussed about it being not being 1:1. Sometimes you just can't get the OC you want and come away 1:1! I know that some of the Asus motherboards have independent settings for the fsb and the memory, which works to a degree. I know I had to raise the memory bus slightly to get the memory to report 800MHz at the post on Gina's P5N-E/E4300 build.

You could also set the multi to 8 and try a 425MHz fsb for 3.4GHz, 850MHz memory at a 2.0 multiplier and a 1700 fsb. The CPU would probably need a little less volts. Overclocking is all about trial and error. Because of all the different variables, no MB/CPU/memory combination will be exactly the same. Even if you buy all the parts at the same time and place, there are just too many components involved that all have their own tolerance for it to be that exact. The upcoming bios for the Penryns will have better control with narrower spacing between the multipliers, which should help a bit too!

theone

10. tinytom

tinytom Guest

The bios for the p5w has a box that comes up for the ram speeds with different frequencies in it, you have to go in to windows to see the ratio?

Ill give 8x425 ago at the same volts and then back off till unstable?

Can you recomend some good software to stress test with please?

Ive got stresscpu, prime95 but just the basic one you just click 'start' on (lol) I use core temp and everest for temps?

*edit* didnt even boot at 425fsb? even with fsb and nb volts upped?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2007
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    I use Orthos for stress testing and Sisoftware Sandra 2007 Professional for benchmarks. See my PM!

Best Regards,
    theone

12. tinytom

tinytom Guest

Orthos is good.... Had to put vcore up to 1.4125 for stability and its not crashed before even with 4hours of prime95.

Ill keep running it to see how the temps ect get on but thankyou for your help guys.

So do you think the comando mobo is a good match for the G0 quad?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

tinytom,
    Hell yes! Don't know how good it will be for the Penryn, but I imagine it would do well with it too.

theone

14. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

hello folks im new to all this overclocking, i did some reading an thought id have a go myself. so heres what ive done.

im running a intel celeron 3.33ghz(until my core2duo comes)
    ive overclocked it to run at 3.70ghz.

do you think ive gone too far or can i get more out of it, in my bios it gives me a maximum number to type in its 165 i think, and i currently have it at 148.

just experimentin at the moment but dont wanna fry anything

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shauntay,
    First we need a little bit of information.
    Motherboard, Brand, model and socket
    Memory, Brand, type and speed
    Power Supply, Brand and wattage
    What C2D are you getting

I wouldn't really push too hard with the Celeron, it's just not worth it and you could damage the computer. We will be able to tell you more after we get the system information I asked for above.

theone

16. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

ok well for starters most of my stuff is basic as im havin a major upgrade at the end of the month, only really doin this so i can get used to how everythin works an stuff. as i'd rather brake a cheap celeron than a core2duo.

anyways heres what i got

Foxconn P4M9007MB-8RS2H Socket-T (LGA775) motherboard.
    Elixir 1GB DDR2 PC5300 667MH
    and a 512mb of crap lol
    not sure on my psu its what came in the comp

im getting the E2180 2x2.0GHz 800MHz 1Mb LGA775 Retail

thx for your help and dont forget im just experimentin for now

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I wouldn't overclock on a PSU that comes with the computer. Those tend not to be too trust worthy.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Tom, I don't remember if you had told us you had the P5W-DH bk in Feb. when you baught the COMMANDO. I would advised against the new purchase since you had the bestter mobo already (at that time). The COMMANDO was new and looked nice w/ lots of bling-bling but it was still only a cherry picked P965. You were or are not gonna get the kind of OC out of most P965's compared to rock solid and proven !975X (for bk then). At best, the P5B/E would have been the best to date to keep up w/ the P5WDG2, P5W-DH on !975X.

As for today, Either Keep on with your P5W-DH or go for recent P5K Deluxe or Premium on DDR2 this you're ready to spring for DDR3 and look into the ASUS P5E3-WS Pro or ASUS P5E3 Deluxe. I wouldn't wait too long into next yr since these things as you found, out date before you know it. Although, when Intel releases it's new technology by the end of next yr it may be so expensive, it'll bring down $$$ of DDR3 solutions more then likely.

Good Luck!

19. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

ok cool, well im gettin a new psu with my new gfx card and cpu so when i get all that i should be able to give a proper go.

p.s had this 3.33ghz celeron runnin at 3.70 for a few hours now and seems to be ok, but im gonna knock it back down.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"Overclocking Workstation Motherboards"

How many of us if any other here are overclocking highend workstation mobos of any series?

I am finding a pattern lately that these ASUS workstations OC pretty great form the start and head to head cmpared to what the homes series become later on. Example, my ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro may have cost $400.00 bk in DEC of '05 but it was a born OC'r from the get go and still today does a kick AXE job at performance to any home series mobo on same !975X. Not so much a higher OC, as is just build better to take and hold that high OC more stable and longer. The components in these Workstation Series are cherry picked from ASUS to meet the demand of pro/enthusiats users, not so much for OC'n but for reliability under intence workload.

This being said, that is why I am waiting for a new P5E-WS Pro on DDR2 to carry me into next yr as it has everything I need for now. Let's just hope this trend of quality carries over the X38 like it was for 975X

Tom, As for that Q6600, I'm finding them to still be hard to get to where the E6600 (early rev) can. On your ASUS !975X, if you got a luck batch, should or can be good for upto 490+ FSB on a 7x multi, but you will need closer to 1.5 working volts. I got a Q6600 to 500x8 4GHz but on a P35 mobo and everything got hot, CPU cores to 68c and NB chipset (not mobo) to 56c and after 35mns of stressing w/ case door closed 4 treads of blends stress in Prime95 v25.5 went BSOD.

I know now they can and may give it a try on X38 to see if it can smooth out as I got the simuler situation with the E6750 on air @ 4GHz. The Q6600 may do better on extreme water to keep it stable @ 4GHz but hard to say right now.

On your OC and mob, 450 should be fine if your RAM can hold DDR900, This mobo did like 5:6 ratio if you can hit DDR1100 @ 449x8. like the guys here said, give it a try and see. Compare you test results to see what looks better, then do some of what you do in real life and feel how it performs for reals.

Good Luck!