1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Shauntay, if you are getting a core 2 duo overclocking will be a breeze. Just get a good motherboard and you should easily overclock to high levels.

2. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Sorry for the late reply guys, had the dreaded flu!.
    Ok first off, I tried all the tweaks you suggested but nothing worked, It still kept going back to stock speed, even after the most firendly of OC's. So I did what NuckNFuts suggested, reset the CMOS. After that I've been able to overclock again!(THANK GOD!).

Anyway, this time I've been taking things one step at a time and trying not to expect to much from the crappy Kingston RAM I got, which is the route of most of my problems in reaching 3.66GHz I recon.

Does that mean under no circumstances I should go over the 1.40v mark?, I cant really get the overclock I want with those Volts, I'm do ing a test now with orthos:

I'm testing:
    CPU FREQ 345GHz
    PCI 100
    System Memory Multiplyer 2.50
    Memory Freq 863
    Dram Timings all at stock on Manual
    DDR2 +0.1v
    PCI +0.1v
    PCI EXPRESS 100Mhz
    PCI Clock 33.3Mhz
    Processor 1.42v
    FSB Termination 1.40 (Whats this mean??)
    MCH 1.55v
    ICH 1.20v

At these settings Orthos has been running for over an hour with no problems, should I be worried about going over 1.4v VCORE?

Ignore sig OC at the bottom.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  3. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Hi Nuck, what did you mean exactly by 400 @ 1.6 on NB? (NEWBIE HERE!lol)

Best regards,

Sam

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    No, it just means to be cautious and make small changes above 1.40v. keep a close eye on the temps. Usually the setting in the bios will be a little higher than what it actually reads with Everest. My guess is that Everest will show somewhere around 1.39 or so at 1.42 which barring any problems with the temperatures, should be fine.

FSB Termination voltage, is the termination voltage of the host bus but, more importantly, also the bus supply voltage. Raising this voltage has a tendency of raising the CPU temperature, and it may cause sudden freeze-ups. Theoretically according to Intel, it's supposed to be no higher than 1.29v. Raising this a bit in the Prescot days helped overclocking a bit, but I can't honestly say the same thing for the C2Ds. Remember, with todays processors you are doing a lot more work at a slower CPU speed, while the higher fsb of the overclocked Prescot needed a bit more voltage. With the C2D, it just makes more heat, which probably accounts for the freeze-ups! Remember you are doing more work at much lower speeds than say the 3.0/800 Prescot. At my stock 2.66GHz, one core alone would blow the Prescot away in performance. It would translate out to about 10,000 to 11,000 MIPS, while one core the C2D can do about 12,500 MIPS. This is 3.0GHz vs 2.66. Just like the AMD 64x2's used to do to the Intels. The Penryns will do much better overall!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

5. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Well my temperatures are around the 60mark at that OC. How long would you say I should stress test with orthos before I know that its stable?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    I usually run Orthos for 12 hours. First if you already haven't, I would lower the fsb Termination voltage to about 1.30v. That should lower the CPU temp a little bit! We both have the same speed CPU, but the E6750 runs much cooler than the E6700. While at first glance they both seem almost the same wattage wise, These processors have Extended Halt (C1E) power of 22W for the 6700 and only 8W for the 6750. The 6700 has B2 stepping while the 6750 has G0 stepping!

BTW, did you remove EasyTune? If you didn't you should!

Best Regards,
    Russ (<:

7. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Ok, I'm not sure if its my fever or what but I cant find the termination voltage.. Is there another name for it?. Easytune has gone for good!lol

Also, where in Everest can I find the voltage stats etc?

Thanks,
    Sam

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sheeny33,
    Just open the main Everest screen and click on sensor. BTW notice that there are 2 red x's at the top right. The one on the left closes the window but leaves all the information at the bottom. The one on the right closes the program.

I have no idea, I just remember it from a couple of years back. I can't find the setting on mine either. Where did you get it's information (1.40v) to begin with?

theone (<:

9. tinytom

tinytom Guest

*nuckNfuts*

Hey Brandon been a while!
    Bought the P5W to get some use from the E6600 and try and get my head round clocking before the quad.
    It will have a silly water set up and all going in silly huge case now too.
    What FSB are the 2 mobos good for?
    Ive got every waterblock you can for the comando so that will be the easiest to keep cool for a stable high clock 24/7
    Going to be using a Folding@home program for final burn in as they are super sensitive to unstable OCing.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shauntay, unfortunately I have some bad news

Foxconn: A bit rubbish
    Elixir: Absolute *^&@!!&!
    no matter what the brand of the other stick is it'll be better than the elixir
    the power supply will also be woefully insufficient.

@Theone: My motherboard doesn't support coretemp. And when I say that I mean that opening it instantly hard reboots the PC. Does yours do that?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, mine did that too, and then I upgraded to the latest version. After that it never gave me any problems.

12. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

I saw it in the bios settings just under PCI Clock Freq, I swear to god it was there!, I even wrote it down so I could ask you what it was for!!, strange now its gone!.

I was just wondering Russ, do you think I could get my speed upto 3.55Ghz with the memory I've got?. If so, what Volts would you say are reasonable for that sort of OC.

Also I would like to get everyones opinion on whats the best memory to get for overclocking, I want the fastest because I'm running some quite memory hungry programs at the moment (FSX).

Best Regards,
    Sam

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Ah right thanks, I'll have a look.

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Sam,mine does that with the newest version of core temp.

Try core temp 0.9.0.91 Core temp

Regards,Crowy.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

More annoying still, the latest update for HL2 renders it unplayable on ATI cards. How ridiculous a bug is that?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes, but I wouldn't call it a hard reset in the traditional sense, at least not on mine. There's no bios re-set! It's like you reached over and hit the re-set button. The first time it happened I went straight to the set-up only to discover that nothing had been changed! LOL!!

I haven't tried it with this motherboard yet. Maybe when CoreTemp gets around to updating their software so that it supports my last 2 chipsets, I'll try it again!

@sheeny33,
    At 1.42v, you "are" at the limit! I wouldn't recommend anyone run higher. If the heat doesn't get you, the Electro-Migration will!
    I like the G.Skill for it's MB/s performance in these GigaByte motherboards, but the Corsair XMS will usually overclock higher at a bit lower MB/s rate

Clockin On at the Speed of Light<
    theone

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

sheeny33,
    I was talking bout 400 as mobo FSB and NB P35 chipset @ 1.6v (reported voltage). Most medium grade mobos wont allow fine tuing of the FSBT (termination0, CPU PLL (core clock gen), CPU/DRAM/NB GLT REF, so you are left with using higher vcore and IHC volts to get stable OC.

FSBT and PLL kind of work together to tune higher mobo and CPU FSB overclocks on lower multi, & often with less vcore and moderate core clock spds.

It's hard to get high FSB out of the budget or lesser mobos w/o some volt mods.

TOM, as for your Q6600, the P5W did not offer the quad core GLT REF so hit was more of a trial and error to get them all to OC together. Remember, you'r OC'n 4 cores in sets of 2 so soem mobos only let you REF volt cores 1/3 & 0/2 while some now do all 4 to fine tune the quads> otherwise GTL REF is not so big a deal for the duals as far as I see at nominal OC's. Why? Well, say even 1 core out of 4 is weeker and needs 67x on GTL REF and the rest do fine @ 63x, you have to go w/ the higher 67 for all in the 975/965 and most P35's still. just about the norm now for X34 & most X48.

So lest's say you got a $600+ CPU and go for a decent $200+ mobo. I'd try to vmod the mobo to get more from CPU then just cranking up vcore alone. Cause while FSB @ 1.6v w/ 1.7v FSBT is risky if not kept an eye on, it is easier to get a better and new mobo then have to cross fingers and hope for the same god bastch of CPU as an RMA. As for the mobo, likely gonna get the better new rev anyways. If you even still have it in a year.

Clock On!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's what I meant as well, it didn't affect the BIOS. On that subject, I love how quickly the P35C-DS3R resets if your overclock doesn't succeed. You don't even have to press the reset button once. It's also interesting to see that it powers everything in the system down and back up if you alter the BIOS settings, perhaps that's how they avoid the hot-boot issue I had with my P5N-E...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    You just haven't done enough things wrong to it yet! LOL!! I had it going in a power on, power off cycle until I discovered that if I pulled the plug for 5-10 minutes it would boot up at stock settings. No big, now that I know, but I sure did worry the first time it happened! Just one of my "kooky" things I've tried that works! LOL!!

theone

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't worry me! lol