1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theonejrs,

don't take this the wrong way, but maybe spending a premium price for a premium mobo has it's benefits. granted, I spent about $150 more for my mobo but I have had absolutely no problems with it what so ever. back to the old saying "you get what you pay for" or "a poor man pays twice".

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Sam
    Here are the marks for the new ATI cards...
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=202465

Have you seen the (New) Corsair P/S...they are now making...(2) Multi Rail units...and (4) Single Rail Units...looks like they are trying to compete with PC Power & Coolings in the Single Rail P/S market...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2010320058+50001459&name=Corsair+Memory,+Inc.

@NuckNFuts
    The 8800GT has a better throughput then the GTS...almost as much as the GTX...

Nvidea's naming nomenclature is a bit backwards right now as compared to the past...The 8800 Rankings from top to bottom go like this...1.)GTX Ultra...2.)GTX...3.)GT...4.)GTS...

I would recommend getting the 8800GT...an absolutely awesome card for the price...and Yes...The 8800GT is PCI-E 2.0 compliant card...I have heard rumblings of a possibly new PCI-E 2.? rev standard...

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lp531,

good prices on those new single rail corsair p/s's too. too bad they don't have modular cabling like the earlier 3 rail models.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TX certainly lookas interesting. With any luck it'll be just as quiet as the HX series. Not sure which I'd rather have.

5. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

620 watt corsair is modular and its a brute..

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah I know. I have one.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Lp531, thankx on the GPU info, I think I will go for the 88GT. Now as for BFG, as that's what my past few nVidias' have been (BFG 6800GT OC, current 7900GT OC), what kind of reputation do they have, compared to XFX, MSI, ASUS and so on? I used to get the OC versions as I never got into manula OC'n but open to new ideas. I dont care bout noise on stock fans, will mod anywayz.

And ya, 2.0 is coming of the new standard for X38X48 forward. That's why I want to try one on my X38 in single card config.

As for those Corsair PSU's mentioned earlier, how do they compare to SilverStone? I been using SilverStone modular on quad rail since new and have 2 in past 2 yrs and love them. Even the older 600W holds its ground under 12hr priming on older E6600 OC on P5WDG2-WS. In fact, if any deviation, it is in the + side to no more then 0.01v.

So true, you get what you pay for. I cant wait for my P5E3-WS Pro. I'm gonn' stick w/ my MAXIMUS ON X38 to hold out for cheaper DDR1800 or 2000 for my next Workstation in release of Penryn, as it's likely to knock prices down.

Clockin' On!

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Not in this instance! It was a premium part that failed. Could have happened with an X-38-DQ6, and that's a premium MB. Same component so it could have happened to any high quality MB! LOL!! Once it boots, It will run forever. I ran Orthos for 8 hours, did some video encoding and played some games. It ran for 22 hours before I turned it off. It's a minor problem that was handled swiftly by GigaByte at no expense to me other than a little time! If I had kept my room warmer I might not have known about it for a while. I'm happy!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did your board ever power your pc off then on, if you turned it on when it was warm? Mine does, but just the once.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This part is true, it happened to mine on P965, it did the reset thing too.
    This so not the case for each Gigabyte and ASUS from medium to Premium mobos. The DQ6 shares downward some of the imspired features to the DS3 series and even DS4, but the bin picked components and just overall newer and better circuttry is what sets the premium from the medium/mainstream and especially budget/entry level motherboards.

You get what you pay for. Solid caps is not it alone. ASUS used older style electrolitics on a few of their high end mobos and prooved that it's the circutry that counts as they held up and better then some of the new stuff featuring solid caps. So much is different on the premium mobos to set them apart, as in the mosfets, cores, regulaters, and IC's. Not to mention better auto control of VTT, GTL, & PLL voltages and usually the added user interface to further tweak as this plat a bit role in higher OC's. Look at the results. How many quads are you seeing get real high FSB OC on a budget or midrange mobo to a premum like DFI's P35's & X38's which allow "4" core GTL FER voltage fine tuning. That alone can boost an additional 15 - 25MHz FSB in basic tweaking.

These are my findings in regards to Gigabyte and ASUS from user side experience.

Happy Clockin' Days, and A Higher Clockin' New Year!

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I never really shut down but used Hibernate and it didnt do it on normal conditions unless I was tweaking in BIOS and testing for different OC. Then yes as warm through the day, it waould do the double boot just as in the DQ6 (assuming you were asking of the DS3 right now). It didnt reset anything unless it locked up, then it would do the double ON, pause and reset to 2nd boot, reseting basic CPU/RAM and voltages to AUTO. This mobo and DQ6 were pick with ACPI drivers in FSB OC's above 425 as if you entered S1/3 and it cooled down enough (5mins), it would have trouble resuming and often crash imediately causing a restart.

As for the cold, I believe the new ic's are sensitive to the cold as even my X38 wich goes in and out of S3 all day long has this trouble if left in S3 without going to S4. In the cold morning, it will resume but it feels like a lot of the mobos functions are slow to respond (ie; ASUS Probe, and some other system 32 apps that were running when put to sleap), till it warmsup. It takes the NB,SB, and RAM a few mins to reach normal temps. Resume from S4 is pefect, since it goes through POST and is usually warm enough in just 10 secs.

So no, it's not just you

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    I know the New standard is PCI-E 2.0...

I have already heard grumblings of a Even Newer Revised Standard call PCI-E 2.1 or 2.A...Or something like that...It is supposed to be coming out very soon...

I Fear that it is like the Whole HDMI Fiasco...All Over Again...LOL..:)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe what about DX10 and DX10.1? Quite a lot of people got served there...

14. REAM

REAM Guest

but dx10.1 isnt even used yet...(me thinks), and DX10, added nothing IMO, then DX9 couldn't handle (bar some extremely minimum eye candy)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That's the whole grand part of the noble experiment with the whole P-35-DS3 series. Sort of like a car. If you want the plain Jane version, you order the L version. It doesn't have the Ferrite chokes or the better Mosfetts If you need raid and Penryn compatibility you get the "R" and so on. From the "R" forward base components remain the same in quality with just the addition of added features!
    It's also the design and designed mods as in the P5N-E, which to this day isn't as good as it was when it first came out! I still don't understand how something can be great, and then bomb out like that MB did. My thinking would be to go back to what worked and go from there. I don't buy the "it's cheaper so they don't spend as much effort" bit. Not when it reflects on your reputation! I'm from the school of "whatever it takes, you do"! It's like what Henry Ford II said at MeMans years ago, "I don't care who built it, it still says Ford on the valve covers"! They won!

The fact is, the solid caps are there for durability! The MB should last longer because of less deterioration of the caps over time. They should last longer and keep their spec values longer!

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Same performance, without the expensive looks of luxury I wish it was like this for motherboards on the top tier. Gigabyte at least doeas it for their mid-range models.

Let us remember the Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado sixty-Special v/s Sedan de' Ville for 1964 and then look at Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham v/s Series 62 Sedan for 1957.

In 1964 one could drive away with a factory fully loaded Sedan de Ville 4 window and have all the driving performance of the higher priced Fleetwood Sixty-Special or even the Eldorado Birratz. Same exact power plant; 429 v8 w/ T400 and 10 bolt Automatic Controlled Differential rear end (AKA; possi-traction) moe of the interior features and electronics to add. Only thing leting your neighbors know you had the money to spend on the Fleetwood, was the loural wreeth and added stainless and chrome trim work moldings.

For 1957, buying the $13,000 Brougham offered more then just some more trim and leather. You got beefed up motor, same 345 V8 but with new GM dual quad carbs (limited for Eldorado 1955-1957), fancy memory and heated bench seat, 4 wheel air suspension, 1st cruise control, 1st CA, USA quad lamps, factory dual exhaust, and a lot more little bling bling features to add. Point being, for that year and line up, one really did have something special to show for the money spent and not just the same "plain Jane" in a new dress.

Again, I can speak for these as I drove them and still have them today, the '57 Brougham & '64 Birratz, Cadillac at it's funnest.

I knwo it's cars stuff, but has a simularity to what we were on subject of above. Well I though so, just for fun anywayz!

Overclockin' & Hot Roddin', Go Hand In Hand!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Funny you should mention the 57 Fleetwood 60 Special! I had one! It was a magnificent Pearl White 4 door hardtop convertible and my second car. I bought it at an Estate sale in 62 for a bargain $1500 with less than 20,000 miles on it. It's "Achilles Heel" was that blasted Jetaway Transmission. I finally went to Lincoln Tech so I could learn how to fix them. They let me re-build it as a shop project there. I think I re-built it 3 times in all! LOL!! I think it had something like 9 Cigarette lighters in it. I owned it for a year before I discovered that the Fog Lights were real! LOL!! By far the biggest back seat of any car I ever owned, and God!! All that Stainless Steel! Loved the huge squared fins! It had cruise control, AC and a pushbutton tuned radio with a button on the floor to change the station. The wipers had a special speed for real heavy downpours that cut the stroke of the wipers down and ran at a very fast speed. We immediately took a Road Trip to Florida in it! LOL!!

I got an e-mail today from the CS Rep at GigaByte letting me know that she received the MB and it was being processed. That's fast as I only took it to FedEx about 3 yesterday afternoon!

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

After reading the many reviews of the new MAXIMUS FORMULA owners, I have to say I am very impressed again for something so new (purchaced; 10-11-07). Getting good variables and good temps considering and w/the same E6750 I moved from Gigabyte P35C-DS3R. Lapping the CPU to ThermalRight base made a good difference for a better 4GHz OC and with no vdroop anymore as fixed by new Loadline Calibration setting in BIOS. In fact, I'm now @ 1.54 idle and boost to 1.55 under load, ya, up, not drooped anymore.

Anywayz, here's a pix of unit in an Antec P-160W removable tray. Everything seams to be allighned nicely and the layout i much like the ASUS P5E Deluxe. Also included is my recent CPU-Z validater link for recent 4GHz (1.55v) @ 500x8 in 5:6 DDR1200 @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.288v.

CPU-Z Validator

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Clockin' On!

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Sorry to keep editing, but how do we get the pix of the above size to appear side by side, connected or just right next to each other?

Thankx!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member