1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Don't you mean 8800GT? :)

These new cards do have DX10.1, which the 8800GT doesn't :(. Also NVIDIA never came through on their prices, instead of 200-250, we are seeing 250-300! They aren't in stock anywhere either.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I mean GTX. In one benchmark (Need for speed Unlimited) it does best the 8800GTX, just, but on average it's 77% as fast.
    As for the 8800GT, overall that sits on top, but the 3870XT is stiff competition, it's cheaper, it's 10.1, and it's quieter. Wins all round I'd say. If I were a little more affluent, I would already have ordered one.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I am happy for now. Maybe later I can upgrade. I need to get some RAM(I've been saying that forever lol),some more fans and cold cathodes before I do anything else.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    10 to 1 you shut off the power switch like I've always done in the past. It's the active bios sampling the live settings. When the switch on the PS remains on, it doesn't do it, at least not on either of the GigaBytes I've owned!

LP531,
    AMD/Ati must love Vr-Zone. The tested against an 8600??? What kind of real test is that? ROFLMAO!! Come on guys, where's the 8800 results!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you looked at the tom's hardware benches I linked here?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes, but Tom's Hardware didn't have their head buried in the sand like Vr-Zone! LOL!! Makes you wonder who Vr-Zone's major sponsors are! LOL!! April Fools Day was in April guys! LOL!! That's why it's called "April Fools Day"! So much for credibility!

Nice showing at Tom's but AMD/Ati has a lot of work to do yet as nVidia still holds the crown by a decent margin!

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh definitely. I think it may be some time before ATi makes a card that can best the 8800GTX / Ultra. Bad news for the industry as without competition, there'll probably be very little in the way of advance.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Speaking of RAM, I har a lot of guys complaining of some of these overclocked Micro D9's killing over on above 2.2v, especially the "quote" high speed DDR2 as in PC2-8200/8500/9200/9600. I use the Crucial PC2-8500 at average of 2.45v on one rig as DDR1000 @ 4-4-4-12 and the 2nd set as DDR1200 @ 5-5-5-15; 2.28v. The 2.28s has only bean going for a month now. The other 2 sets I have @ 2.245v have bean as so for over a yr now. Just wondering if this is felt to be too high for some of you out there using D9's OC'd to the gills. These have done DDR1266/2.34v but get warm and need better forced air.

Who can share results of high RAM volt/OC weather tight timingss or high Frequency?

Happy Clockin'

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Regarding Gigabyte RMA! Can you post that contact info w/ number and email so I can get started on my RMA for rev. 2.xx? Was it any different for you? I am on the origional rev.1.03 since I got it when brand new and no ver 2 yet and still on 1st only BIOS then. So will I even get a rev 2.xx?

Thankx in advance!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    No Problem!
    Which MB is this for? What's the problem with it? Check on their website, but do it through Newegg! Just click on the Manufacturer's Information and go to the Product page. It's faster and easier. If you look up top they list the revisions for the particular MB. That way you'll know what's available.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Regarding Gigabyte GA-P25C-DS3R. Not to alarm any would be buyers, it's fine as of now other then lil' quirks as metioned earlier about loss of OC profile when crashing from fail to lock to ACPI when coming out of S3 "Stand By" at over 450FSB. S4 is fine up to 505FSB, 510 and 515 is slow and iffy going into S4. Buts thats not really a big dealsince it's already a high OC for most midrange mobos righ now. (Just to note, the MAXIMUS only did 505 stable in full ACPI w/ exact saem CPU)

I do plan on moving to DDR3 w/ likely PC3-12800 or 14400 so would wonder if deviders on the DDR3 side will be compatible w/ NIOS flash alone. What was revised in new rev. 2.00 other then the visual changes we see.?

I am pleased to hear of the good service you guys are getting from Gigabyte and may look into the X38T-DQ6 for my next project. Oh ya, I see a new X38 as GA-X38-DS5, may be entry since it has no RIAD but offers PCIE v2.0 and of Corse Crossfire dual 16x. See their Product page for more info. Already on sale @ NewEgg for $299.99

Clock On!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    I was only giving you guys the numbers for the New ATI cards...I figured you already knew the #'s for the 8800GTX and GTS...LOL..:)

On the New 8800GT I got a close to 12,000 on 2006 3D mark and around 19,500 in SLI...No OC...No break In...

Off to Bed...Got to get up in 2.5hrs and do another show...Me very tired..x)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531,
    I was talking about the figures shown. Looks suspiciously like the info came straight from AMD to make themselves look better to less knowledgeable people, instead of showing it against the 8800GT. We all know Ati has a bit of work to do yet, but let's face it, comparing benchmarks between old technology and the latest Ati has to offer is suspect at best. Maybe AMD never heard of the 8800 series! ROFLMAO!! Then again, it looks good with all that red at the top of the graphs! LOL!! It's not dishonest, only suspect, to those who know what they are looking at. Must be after the "newbie" market! LOL!!

theone

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, the definitive chart (after a lot of statistical analysis - meh, I enjoyed it)
    1. 8800GTX
    2. 8800GT
    3. HD2900XT
    4. HD3870XT
    5. 8800GTS 640MB
    6. 8800GTS 320MB
    7. HD3850 Pro
    8. 8600GTS

15. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

Why would you say the 8800GT is better than the 8800GTS, when the GTS seems to cost more?

16. REAM

REAM Guest

just caus it costs more does not justify it being better.

the old e6700, costs way more than the newer, more OCfriendly, faster e6750, but that dont make it better. ddr1 ram costs more than ddr2 ram, but that dont make it better.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well put.
    The 8800GT is newer than the GTS, and uses a revised version of the architecture meaning that not only can the card be made cheaper, but also faster. The GTS is being withdrawn from sale at a lot of places, since it's now pointless.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Little more to it then that. Like Sam says, it has more to do with newer revision and technology. So comparing thoase older CPU's or RAM was not fare. That goes to supply and demand. Less DDR1 made so it cost more to get out. Just like SDRAM or RDRAM RAM-BUS. So little made it cost a lot to produce today, yet people are using it. As for the CPU, well Intel has to ginve the go ahead for retailers to drop prices to a certain degree. So an expensive E6700 can only come down so much before, Intel and resellers have to take a loss. And we know that wont happen for quite some time. So others just move to the new revision.

Better example is more memory = more overhead for both the GPU and mobo bus and PCIE lanes. So of corse a less amount of better OC'd GDDR can feel faster and also be more stable then a large 512 or 768mb of averge GDDR, cause it now need to be a bit relaxed to be as stable. Same reason Serious Overclockers do not try to run more then 2 sticks of 1gb (2gb kit, 2 slots occupied). More overhead on the NB and MCH as well as the overall system so it is either needing to be relaxed timings or slower speed. Al in all, meaning slower responce or less stable at higher FSB.

2x512 was ideal for those of us remembering what it was like to OC on Northwoods w/ !875P, and of corse 2x256 could be faster if in the right set up.

My Two Cents!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I'm not a gamer but this seems to be an interesting concept!

http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_spider.aspx?p=1

Don't know what AMD is up to but this things supposed to be made primarily for games!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The link doesn't work.