1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I accidentally had it through my e-mail! I opened the page and changed to the right url!

Sorry,
    Russ :>(

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

What do you guys think about X48 coming out so soon after X38 barely got its foot in the door?

X48 is coming soon and likely with release of Penryn. It is said to be offered as DDR3 only solutions from major mobo makers. It really only officially claims support for new DDR1600 and 1600FSB CPU's. Again, notthing big for us overclockers, since even P35 can do this already out of the box. It will also bring Intels memory profile system (like nVidias' SLI memory).

So I don't see X48 being a big deal or even a need for us current X38 or high end P35 users, especially if sticking DDR2 for another year. If anything, for those still on P965 or low end P35's may think about holding for affordable upgrade as new crave for Penryn and X48 hits, X38 will or should go down. Unless it remains like !975X, the high quality, expensive performance chip, to where it ends up cheaper to go with mainstream chip by then.

Only time is gonna' tell. In any event, X38 with it's recent BIOS fixes is more then showing it has passed P35 on the top end. But then, I haven't seen any low end X38, lol. If X38 last into next summer, it's gonna' be the best of the DDR2 CPU/RAM overclockers.

Overclocking My World, One Chipset At A Time!

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh the Spider platform. I personally think it is awesome. I am tired of all these new chipsets coming out, and I read that the new Intel CPUs coming out will not be compatible with the X38 chipset. I will definetly be going AMD with my new build, although with a NVIDIA GPU, unless AMD comes up something good to beat the 8000 series.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for me, I'm not going to rush into anything. I'll see what the Phenoms are like first. Besides, my board will support the 45nm CPUs I'm told, so that may well be my next upgrade.
    I'm a little dubious mainly due to this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

With Nehalem coming so shortly after, I may just wait for that instead. Unless it's release (close to end of '08) drops Penryn prices, then I will pick up one to play with. Beside, I see only two extreme quads for 1sst release this coming Janurary. I can't wait till 32nm Nehalem on quad with integrated DDR3 memory controller and large shared cache and dual tread per core (like HT on D extremes).

I look at it like this, it's a continuing game. The newer, if keeping on track, is gonna' be better then present. So of corse we wanna' upgrade asap. Only question, is how much better for the mony at introduction. At 1st I wondered if my current X38 would be 32nm ready, but then figured, w/ X48 or something newer by then I will have moved on to that by then.

What more can you guys share about Phenoms? Even if it doesn't beat Intel, it should be better then current offerings. I may have to get a new AMD mobo too now most likely. The CROSSHAIR is passing its 2 years now.

Clocking On!

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The phenoms are a little bit slower than the Intels, but they are also a little bit cheaper. The price/performance ration is the same. AMD just happens to offer much better compatibility for future upgrades.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@abuzar1
    The 3870 look like it is close to the 8800 series in gaming performance...beats them in power consumption...heat generation...and HD/Blueray playback...

ATI is going for HD/Blueray playback as one of there big selling points...Looks like there is finally a very good Gaming Card...with excellent HD/Blueray capabilities...

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did you see the screenshots of it playing Crysis?
    It looks like we're back to the good old ways where the nvidia card is slightly faster, but the ATi card renders a better image. At this point I certainly favour the HD3870.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Due to what, there's no link! All that's there is something that doesn't open cause there's nothing to open it with!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah and they DO support DX 10.1, so maybe. Right now I'm happy with my Core 2 Duo, maybe a couple of years later, or if I can sell this, I will see what happens. I am still tempted to go Intel because of their performance lead and the new processors coming out, but if I build an Intel machine it will definitely be using the chipset that comes out AFTER X38.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    All I get when I run the URL is a "500 Internal Server Error"!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That works fine! I still have no idea of what you were referring to! Is there a compatibility issue with the P-35 and the 45nm chips?

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. tinytom

tinytom Guest

I need some help again please peeps, some of you may remember I have a comando mobo, would it be a good idea for me to resell this and get a P5K deluxe P35?

Q6600 G0 cpu
    Dominator 8500

Any advise would be great

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes! I would if you can sell it soon.

The P5K (Deluxe) is become one of the best P35 on DDR2 overclockers since I had it early this spring. Yo can read the review to confirm. The Premium version only came to offer better support for 4 sticks of DDR2 to 1066, but then what serious overclockers try to cram that much load into a OC'd chipset?

X38 is looking to be followed very shortly by X48, so this may make established X38's like P5E, affordable. Now this is good for DDR2 users since X38 will continue to be the better of modern DDR2 overclockers and especially for quad core user. On the ASUS to speak of, higher DDR is easier with new 2 phase DDR volts. DDR1200 on deviders is getting more stable as BIOS's come along. That long hated FSB hole is no more with excelent FSB to NB strapping and the advantage to manually strap it yourself to get the closest best CPU:RAM devider to suite your needs. I now get if needed, 2:3, 3:4, 4:5 5:6, 1:2.

So as mentioned, it's a great stepping stone for now if wanting to stay DDR2 for he rest of the majorit of '08.

Hope this helps!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, it's the benchmark. Note how the Phenom scores lower in Sandra than any of the Core 2 Quads, and by quite a big margin. Not really the most promising of starts...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Notice also that it does a pretty good job compared to the top C2Ds! I look at it this way. At least AMD has something that can compete with some of the better C2Ds even up! Even if it takes 4 cores to do it! At the prices indicated, who cares?? Remember, no one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby! LOL!! AMD will also improve on them as time goes by and the prices will come down. How many people are going to shuck out $1300 or so for the baddest Intel Quad? I just don't see everyone running out and buying one! What AMD has done is give people something in between the Quads and the C2D, that's very affordable! A big plus is that it's backward compatible with older AM-2 motherboards and chipsets!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, agreed, but imo a Quad core should be ruddy better than the Core 2 Duos!
    There's still no getting away from the cost of them though.
    The 9600 is on pre-order at OcUK for a round £200.
    The Q6600 is on sale for only £160 (retail).
    A £40 cheaper CPU earns an extra 30% in Sandra, it's still not looking good for AMD in my mind.
    Don't get me wrong I used to be an AMD supported, but there's no getting away from the fact that Intel have the upper hand by far. I'm not convinced Phenom is going to change anything in that regard.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Again, it depends on what you want out of your system, and if you will OC or not. If you will game, just surf the net on Afterdwan, or get into some A/V transcoding or file compression and data crunching.

A good dual is gonna offer a lil more then some average quads (today speaking) on overclocking for media encoding and data compression, or just good gaming. Those synthetic scores only mean something if you game in a way that can actually use the chip like that. For day to day use, most will never see the difference. Although, better X38 BIOS are giving current quads an edge to catch up to core 2's in FSB so they can now start shine with mobo in high FSB + more clock.

Who will buy 'em, them Penryn Extremes? Lot I can imagime. It's something new and long awaited. The guys who are buying $1400.00 set of SLI and Crossfire dont mind I guess. My 1st SLI set on 6800 Ultra cost only $1249.00 and I thought that was too much. If one has the money, why not. I wont, cause I'd rather wait for the mainstream version. I dont buy extremes anymore. Give me a $500.00 or less Penryn and that'll tide me over till Nehalem and later 32nm with integrated DDR3 controller.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007