1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. crowy

crowy Guest

Whats also going to be interesting is how each of the four cores overclock individually??
    Are they all going to max out @ the same frequency or is one core going to be better than the rest??Cant wait to see some independent testing!!

Regards,Crowy

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I'd have to believe it will very just like Intel quads. without "cherry picking" each individual, stress testing each, it'd be a long shot to have them match beyond rated specs. Look @ OC'd E6x00's. Overclocks would be great if we can tweak the individual PLL & GTL Ref per core. But very few mobos barely allow for tweaking 4 seperate GTL Ref voltages.

I don't run enough AMD/nVidai systems to know, but none of mine ever offered this. However, w/ nV770/790 right around the corner on DDR3, maybe we will get some better voltage tweaks.

My Two Cents

3. crowy

crowy Guest

Nucknfuts,
    Now there's food for thought!

How about four cherry picked individual cores on one die with unlocked multipliers??

AMD Phenom Extreme Black edition anyone??!!

Dreaming on,Crowy.

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

K, guys, I'mopen to some X2 on nV-590 tweak options and opinions if any. As I said before, I've never been heavy in the nVidia for AMD as I'd hoped to. So getting back into the swing of things and need to better understand the nVidia chipset and platform as a whole so I can get more out of my AMD overclocks and better stablize them.

Who Let The Clock Out?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I didn't know you could clock cores at different frequencies.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think it's an ability unique (or so far unique) to the Phenoms.

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

If reffering to my post, no, we don't get to dajust core frequencies individually. I was speaking of tweaking individual PLL GTL Ref voltages wich can help for quad core OC'n when any one single core needs to be upped to equal the stronger one in set so to keep overall vcore average and thus heat produced down and now allowing higher FSB sinve overall core set is cooler.

GTL Ref is directly tied into VTT or PLL, so when we fine tune these individually, we can tweak to add a pinch more PLL but lower vcore (less heat) or same vcore but more FSB/OC.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No, I was actually talking to crowy.

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Sounds like somehing Nehalem mobile on is going. Thermal Monitoring TM2 + C2E. Not only can it reduce the FSB instead of multy, but on Nehalem desktop quads on 32nm, it can shut down 2 or 3 cores to conserve power if they are not called for after a such time of idle, and allow full use of single core to woak @ 100% wich will again have multi-tread per core (like old Hyper-Threading).

I can't wait.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Wow, the new Phenom X4 9700 is available here in our area and cheap too, at 1/4 the price of Penrin 1st releases for January. I can get one here in CA, USA for $330.00.

Don't see any officail support for the CROSSHAIR yet. But the Opteron 2350's work now on this mobo. Are these known to hit 3GHz since it runs so cool as is at 2GHz at 45W?

Clock On!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Abuzar1,
    Not only different frequencies, but voltages and multipliers as well. I imagine it's so you can tweak the individual cores for overall performance. If 3 cores make it to say 3.2GHz and the 4th won't, you should be able to raise the core voltage of that core only, for a little more stability to get that core to 3.2! Not a bad idea!

I don't look at it as a Quad-Core, I look at it as a CPU capable of 35,000+ MIPS right out of the box. Who cares how many cores it has? That makes it AMD's fastest chip ever! It also makes it the 5th or 6th fastest CPU in the world, and only the Q6600 is cheaper and it doesn't overclock particularly well! The 9700 may well be faster overclocked than the Q6600! That would shake up Intel a bit! LOL!!

Frankly, I wasn't expecting much from AMD at this time but I have to say, I think AMD has something and at the perfect speed to sell. The Q6600 isn't going to be around that long as Intel wants to convert to 45nm as soon as possible and it will probably be the first to go, being the least profitable. If an overclocked 9700 winds up being faster than an overclocked Q6600, the Q6600 might be gone in very short order! Especially if AMD brings the price down a little bit, as you know they will. I'm especially impressed that none of the 40 some-odd computers AMD provided had any problems and remained stable throughout the entire overclocking and testing session! That to me, bodes very well for the future. The Phenom is also cheaper to manufacture since it's a true Quad! Far less human intervention, so if it sells in any kind of numbers the prices will drop. I personally think that it's nice to see AMD doing something more than expected, so "Go AMD"!!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Both versions of the Q6600 can OC well I found. It looks liek from all the forums I read, people are focusing on unlinked and out of sink deviders to get RAM score in benchmarks, and usually requiring a sloppy timing, and high mobo volts, yet not so excitinglu high mobo FSB.

I ended up getting my GO Q6600 to 4GHz on air w/ same ThermalRight and it can do 500x on the X38 chipset and some P35'x with the right PLL & GTL Ref tweaks.

So it's not that they don't OC that well, it's more of, they tend not to OC as high FSB or clock MHz as a dual of equal stock rating.

@ Theonejrs,
    Where did you find this? I'd like to know a little more, as I may be getting one for my 2nd AMD rig. The X4 9700!

Happy Turkey Day!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It was in the Tom's article. Here's the page! on this page they only mention the multiplier but elsewhere in the article, the mention the voltage!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/19/the_spider_weaves_its_web/page19.html
    At last direct control of the CPU right from within windows!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    I guess that answers the question as to whether the 2.2GHz 9500 Phenom can hit 3.0GHz as there will be no 9700 until some time next year. I can't wait to see some real benchmarks, but I'm already impressed! If AMD can get the pricing a little better, it's got a market!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's going to be an interesting one. Despite my scepticisms I'd like AMD to have a competitive product at last...

Clock to it!

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I think it's fairly safe to say that AMD is delivering a good bit more than was expected of them. Their response to Intel's performance lead is far better than Intel's was in their early attempts of battling the 64x2s. There all we heard was rhetoric and talk about clock speeds, but all we got was dogs form Intel for a few years. Once the enthusiasts get there hands on the new AMD Phenoms, we'll see what they can really do in the hands of experienced overclockers! This could really heat up the competition quite a bit. If it does, guess who wins! LOL!!

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok someone please correct me if i'm wrong...

about OCing...if over clocking the cpu by 100 - 200mhz - don't need to increase the volt, but clocking by 300 - 400 - need to increase the volt. am i correct so far? but when OC do you also need to increase the volt for the ram?...

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

GTR35You only need to increase the voltage if you reach a wall in the overclock, ie if it wont run prime without errors/ orthos crashes the system / wont boot into windows or post.

if your o/cing your 3500, you should find that it wont need any extra voltage until its reaching its maximum clock, i could boot my 3800 x2 up to 2750 at stock voltage 1.3-1.35v, and it took 1.48v to get it upto 300 fsb and 3ghz on air which was my best clock on it. didnt bother going over 300fsb and dropping the multiplier but it would have gone further im sure, but as I gave the system to my daughter its back running stock :)
    tried a x2 4200 before but it was no where near as good for clocking on my msi k8n neo4 ultra plat.

youll probably find after 275 you might need to increase the vcore slightly, but not by too much as the heat goes up pretty quickly too, overvolting the memory is dependant on if your running it 1:1 with the fsb and to how tight your timings are. my geil 2 gig value pc3200's never took more than 2.6volts to be stable, but memory varies alot and combinations of mem / motherboard effects this too.

when you do hit a wall just increase the voltage until it runs stable again each time, dont make massive jumps as youll just create heat and limit your clock.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@ck5134 yes i know that but my cpu temp is about 40c idle, it reaches 60c when gaming...thats why i post in the cooling thread asking for help...