1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Upping the voltage will only make it hotter.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah i know that...so in other words i shouldn't oc this 5h!tty computer...it's old technology...

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the single core amd's clock easily, it sounds more like you need to increase your case ventilation, and get a better heatsink and use some artic silver, my old x2 3800 @ 2.75ghz used to only hit 45 under full load (both cores)

your idle temp should be about 28-30 depending on ambient temps in your room. and under load shouldnt realy hit over 45ºc when o/cd

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

my room temp is under 20c...yeah i think i should get a new case and new heatsink...but it's kinda difficult to find a heatsink for socket 939...any recommendations...

will Thermalright Ultra 120 work?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I assume you are kidding, right? There are bunches of them listed on Newegg! Both Arctic and Zalman have models listed! I would have had links, but Newegg is down right now!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@GTR35
    What case?...How many fans?...

There are a lot of good CPU Coolers for the 939...theonejrs mentioned some good ones...

@theonejrs
    Are you selling that 4300 yet?..

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531,
    Yes! I just decided to sell it yesterday. PM me as I don't think AD wants us discussing selling things on the thread! As long as it's in the US there's no problem. Otherwise you have to deal with Homeland Security!

Pogo was right! "We have met the enemy, and they is us"!

I was going to loan it to someone in Canada, and Homeland Security blocked it when I tried to ship it, for "reasons of National Security"! Maybe they thought I was trying to ship a CPU for a Cray disguised as an E4300! The shipping people tell you it's all right, take your money and then it gets sent back to you with no refund for the shipping! Hey Morons in Washington, Intel sells them in Canada too! Christ, you would think I was selling National secrets or something. Washington doesn't have any secrets! We all know they are morons! It comes with both English and French instructions, so what's the problem? Are we at war with Canada and nobody told us? LOL!! Just venting! LOL

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Just shot you a PM...Lets make a deal...:)

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125 atric coolings frezer 64 is a cheaper alternative but not the best on a 939, doesnt require motherboard removal, can be a bit fiddly to fit in tight cases though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118112
    zalmans CNPS7000B is quite good on 939's running it at around 1300 rpm it stays quiet enough for everyday use, but does require removing your motherboard, although if your on about upgrading your case too it shouldnt be a problem.

either of them should have your cpu temps drop to high 20's to low 30's on idle.

and it shouldnt go much over 40 under load, so will give you some headroom for your o/c.

Thermalright Ultra 120's are good but overkill for a 939, plus youll need to buy the seperate retention kit. save a few bucks there and get yourself a thermaltake soprano case and youll see much better temp.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@ck5134 what do you mean by removing the motherboard?...

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You will have to take the motherboard out of the case in order to install a backplate that the cooler screws into. You will then obviously have to put the motherboard back in the case and reconnect it.

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oh ok...that wouldn't be a problem for me...just cleaned my computer...phew! there are a lot of dust...especially the fans...

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Cool 'N quiet v/s C1E+TM2 (C+P State)

In all fairness, Intels' combined C+P state was very effective ay stock and even up to moderate OC's on stable mobo and BIOS. Abit is a good example of combined C+P state to 425FSB. AND's Cool 'N Quiet was barely stable at stock let alone the slightest OC to try and conserve power for OC enthusiats. Even Intel allows stable of TM1+CE1 at high FSB OC's for reduced ratio on the die. So unless AMD moved to a on "the chip" P state control, we won't be using it either.

When overclockers can benifit from these power saving features to prolong the life of our CPU's it'd be great. I'd like 1.28v at my 500x6 and back to 1.57v for my 4GHz on the fly.

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oh now you've mentioned AMD cool 'n quiet, what does it really do?...its not really cool and quiet tho...

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Cool And Quiet is AMD's branded "P" state thermal control Of the Intel version "EIST", (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology).

This method being the lesser of the two thermal controls since the switching is done through the mobo chipset using system bus resorses. C1E & C2 when combined with TM2 does it's speed switching on the CPU die of supportive ACPI rev. BIOS, so it is much faster.

Let's hope AMD implaments something like this too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    On both the GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 and the GA-P35-DS3R I enable both C1E and TM2 but make sure EIST is turned off and it works right fine! If you turn EIST on, it drastically reduces the performance of the computer. I don't use either Standby or Hibernate as they can be very troublesome when resuming with certain motherboards. I don't need or want either for my desktop! I do use it on my old Dell laptop when on battery but not when on the PS!

Best Regards,
    theone :>}

17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

ok you've lost me...anyways...lets just hope AMD have better technology

18. SonicTH

SonicTH Regular member

I want to attempt overclocking but I'm entirely new to the concept.

I have an AMD Athlon 6000+ but I'm concerned about cooling issues if I were to do so (I'm using the stock heatsink). Do I need to better prep my computer before doing so?

Forgive my lack of knowledge; I've never tried this before.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Since you're using the most powerful X2 in the series, you'll need something better than the stock cooler if you want to overclock, pretty much at all. You could go with something like a Zalman CNPS9500, or better, a Thermalright Ultra 120.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sonic,

before you get too gung ho on overclocking, what mobo and memory do you have? the mobo plays a big part on the ability to OC as the memory can as well. an aftermarket performance hsf is a given just depends on how good of one you want and what you're willing to spend. the choices sam recommended are good as well as a zalman 9700cnps or sunbeam tuniq tower.