1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sonic,
    Which stock cooler came with your CPU? I know that AMD supplies an excellent heatpipe cooler with some of their better box CPUs, which seems to be a lot better than their ordinary cooler. I've seen pictures of it but don't know anyone who ever used one! Just curious!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nonetheless if it were me, I'd still get a powerful aftermarket cooler.

3. SonicTH

SonicTH Regular member

I have a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 motherboard (socket AM2) and Corsair RAM (I don't remember the specific model).

My stock heatsink is one of those heatpipe varieties that theonejrs spoke of.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

looks like your mobo does have at least some basic OC capabilities. I don't use or have much experience with AMD but some more specific specs of your memory (speed, cas latency, amount) would be helpful for some one here with more AMD experience to help you OC your cpu. I would definately invest in one of the cpu hsf's recommended above if planning to OC. regardless of which oem cpu hsf you have, it will not allow you to achieve anything more than a very modest OC.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

SonicTH,
    If you have a decent case with good ventilation, the cooler you have should work fine. What kind of case, model, amount of fans and fan sizes are you talking about here? I remember Tom's Hardware was pretty high on that particular cooler, so the question remains whether you have adequate cooling, as the best cooler in the world will not do you much good if the heat can't be removed from the case!

Best Regards,
    theone :>)

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

good luck Russ. looks like you da man and you're on your own. I would never recommend OC'ing (to any degree) with an oem cpu hsf.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, I've got to admit I have performed some minimal OC'ing with stock cooler, but for moderate to high OC's I never even wasted my time. just slapped on an aftermarket performance hsf and proceeded to OC. looks like I've been vetoed. forget everything I said. carry on and OC that puppy and good luck.

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Mort
    No way...to be honest...I have not used a stock cooler in 5 years or more...as you see I tried to lead him to an after market cooler...

No matter what...He is better off with an after market cooler...even if he does not OC...

Just like Sam is a noise freak...I am a cooling freak...for me...I always try to keep my temps as low as possible to extend the life of the components...an after market cooler goes on everything I build...even if its not OC'ed...

10. SonicTH

SonicTH Regular member

My case is of no-name origin (its called "VAV") but I've equipped it with as many fans as I could. It has worse ventilation than my last case but the airflow is consistent and I don't think it'll be too much of an issue (venting heat, that is). The major ventilation fan rests right over the heatsink (and it even channels the fan from the heatsink).

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Sent with all due respect!
    Actually, it's a rather nice 4 heat pipe cooler. I know a number of folks who got one when they started shipping them with the Opteron 185 and the feedback has been very good. I'm not sure but I think DocTY has one with his 185 and he said it was pretty good. I could be mistaken but I do know a few other folks who bought the 185 back when I posted it in the Bargain Bin at the Hounds, and all said the same thing! I know it performs way better than the original AMD CPU coolers for the 64 x 2s.

I personally think there should be a distinction between an everyday 24/7 performing overclock and the maximum you can get out of it. I mean you can hammer the voltage to within inches of the downwind side of hell heat wise, but it ain't gonna last at those voltages and you couldn't run it as an everyday computer. There are certain rules that apply to any overclock, and raising the voltage to well beyond the manufacturer's limits is, or should be one of them! I mean what's next, a thread on using Liquid Nitrogen.

Newbies come here and see Nuck (not picking on you, my friend!) running over 1.5 volts using premium everything, but how may folks here have or can afford that price tag? Problem is, is that these Newbies see that and think they can do it with their low to mid-priced motherboards, and mid range memory, and they can't! You and I both know that, but the Newbies don't!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi Russ,

I wasn't pointing any fingers or calling anyone out. sorry my friend if you got that impression.

I admit I am not familiar with rescent AMD cpu's and related components. I'm sure the oem hsf that comes on the later upper end AMD cpu's is better than average/most.

like LP531 I'd rather be safe and go with a performance cpu hsf even if I don't intend on OC'ing (which as you know doesn't apply to me) :) and like you it's better to be safe than sorry to recommend a performance cpu hsf where OC'ing is considered especially where newbies are involved.

LP531 and theone,

sorry if I ruffled any feathers. performance and precaution is just my way of doing things.

13. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Dude...No ruffled feathers here...now theonejrs...he has a bad temper...watch out...LOL...He might not have used his water cooled heatpipe yet today..:)

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hehe,

doesn't he just call that his bong :) :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I didn't get that impression at all, I only said "With all due respect" because in this particular instance I don't quite agree with you. I've never be an advocate of OEM coolers but in this instance AMD should be given their due as all reports indicate it's a fine cooler, that does a very good job of cooling. Certainly head and shoulders above the crappy junk that Intel provides with it's box processors! And it comes free with the higher end box processors!

PS No Bong! I don't like water in my smoke! I'm a purist! LOL!!

Lp531,
    No temper at all, Just controled insanity Dude! ROFLMAO!!

Beat Regards,
    Russ

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

cool. so are you gonna share your water cooled heat pipe?

:( nevermind you edited :(

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Coitenly! :>) (<:

I once saw a guy put Coca Cola in his bong. All of a sudden the bubbles started coming out of his nose! LOL!! Though he was going to die! ROFLMAO!!

Just fired up the new Rev. 2.0 MB! It wasn't gigabytes fault. It would have been here on the promised day, but FedEx delivered it to the wrong address. Not only was it the wrong number, they delivered it to the wrong street! LOL!! GigaByte Rocks! They didn't take any chances and shipped me one out Tuesday and I got it 9 AM the next day! That's service!

Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Stock cooler for that CPU is far above average, but I'm in the camp that "you can do better for cheap, so why not do it?"

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm from the school that says why buy something if you don't need to. You need to purchase the "Box" CPU if you want the 3 year warranty anyway! OEM's are usually only a few dollars less, and you give up a lot of the warranty! All the reviews I read back when they first started including it with the Opty 185 found that it was as good as the Freezer 64 and the Zalman 9500. You don't get much cheaper than just about for free! LOL!!

Anybody having one that they don't use, just send it to me! I'll gladly pay for the shipping in advance! I would love to test one on the 4000+ and compare it to the current Freezer 64 that's in there now!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    Russ :>)

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I seem to recall reading that the Freezer 64 offered inferior cooling performance to the Freezer 7 somewhere, why would that be?