1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I think that was true only with the older 64s before they went to the 92mm fan! The coolers are identical. Just the mount is different! I know as I own both and have closely compared them side by side! Even the fans are interchangeable! It may also have to do with the socket's position on the motherboard. It does a good job on the 4000+ which is overclocked to 2.8GHz. It should even do better in a case like mine! It ran all last summer and never came close to overheating without air conditioning, just a swamp cooler in an ambient temperature range of between 30 and 32C! Not bad considering it was in the low 100F degree range with outside temps as high as 115F.

Best regards,
    Russ :>)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know, that's why I was confused. That's an impressive stock cooler then, if it can keep up with the 9500 and the 64 Pro!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    It's funny, the heat pipe is a very old idea. Back in the late 40s they had Christmas tree lights that had a sealed glass tube about 2 inches long that had some sort of liquid in them that would bubble from the heat of a 7 watt bulb. Same idea! I always thought the Freezer 7 was a 6 pipe cooler until I saw a 3D drawing of one and realized they are 3 pipe design that goes through the copper base and up each side. That's why you see 3 rounded ends and 3 that have been crimper and soldered.

The AMD is made for them by Foxconn, I think. It even looks nice! I'm trying to find a pic of one to post. I even called AMD and they sent me a URL, but I can't get it to work. It's more than likely from e-bay and I'm banned for life. I got rooked one time and when they wouldn't do anything about it I desputed the charge on my credit card and they didn't get the money! Hey, you buy a Compaq K-6 with a 15" screen, you shouldn't get a laptop motherboard instead! LOL!! Their "Guarantee" isn't worth a flip as they don't want to know you is something's wrong. I stopped the payment before I even called them. The told me that I had to pay or they would see me in Court! I'm still waiting! ROFLMAO!! E-Bay is a den of thieves! I think they are members of the "Villains, Thieves and Pirates union"! LOL!! I tell people all the time not to use Paypal but use their credit card. Let Visa do your fighting for you! What's E-Bay gonna do stop doing business with them? Trick is if it doesn't come within the 3 day shipping, call Visa and dispute the bill! You can always call them the next day and say the package came. This way all they have is the promise of payment that has about the same guarantee as E-Bay! Pay with Paypal and don't get it, Too bad!

Remember that guy and his friend that were bragging about blagging things on e-bay and ripping people off? He didn't stay long after I got done with him and everybody here knew he was a piece of crap (not the word I used)! I thought I was going to get at least suspended for it but nothing was said! Guess the powers that be, agreed with me! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you were right, I held the same view. That seems such a long time ago now...
    As for paypal, that's a worthy insight. I tend to use Credit card payments where possible, but most of the time it's paypal.

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, a 5-bladed fan, how interesting. You don't see many of those on CPU heatsinks...

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yeh looking like theyre set at about 45º so quite agressive. long fan blades too so it should force a fair bit air through, but is it at the cost of noise

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    Thanks for the pic dude! I've been looking for hours!

I don't think it will be too noisy as if you look carefully you will see that the curve of the blade is very flat. combine that with the wideness of the blade itself and you can move a lot of air fairly quietly, and at lower RPMs! That's one of the advantages of the 5 blade design! The down side is that it will never be quite as smooth as a 7 blade design, which isn't quite as smooth as a 9 blade If I could get a better picture I could run it through my air turbine program and make a fairly close guess as to the noise level, + or - a couple of Dbs!

Best regards,
    theone :>)

9. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@theonejrs
    Paypal is a den of thieves...I had the same thing happen with E-bay and Paypal...My problem was with "Paypal Certified"...Bought a P/S off a dealer that required certification...so I did it...

They sent a P/S with wires cut...and case lid to P/S open...Paypal would not Do anything...I contacted E-bay...I asked them about how I had just been certified and that I was told it would provide added security and help with disputes...they told me as long as the seller sends you something...even if its a rock in a box...

They told me...that as the buyer...I lost all rights to dispute...That is what Certification is for...they then told me it only guarantees that the seller is guaranteed payment...

Why would the seller ever need protection...they are protected by not sending the item till the money is sent...Called my Bank they fought and got my money back...E-bay and Paypal are in cahoots...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Taking from personal experience, at the same rpm, a fan with 9 blades produces more air than a fan with 7 blades, but also produces a LOT more noise. I tested this with a Silverstone FM121 and a Scythe S-Flex, both at 1600rpm. The Silverstone pushed a lot more air, but the Scythe was pretty much inaudible over the din the FM121 caused. Due to the fact that 9 blades cause a higher pitched noise, which the ear is more sensitive to, technically a lower blade count should win out.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Amen to that! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It all depends on the design. It's not just the amount of blades. there are always trade-offs to any blade design. It all has to do with the surface area and how it's shaped. It all depends on how much air you want to move. The turbines I design are just the reverse of a fan as they are driven by airflow, but the same principles apply, just the opposite direction. It's all about how efficiently you can get the air to flow through it. My designs have to move 23-25 cfm of air in a space that's less than 1/4" wide and 3/8" long. less than 1/10" of that is the actual turbine. At 450,000+ rpms, it's a real high speed balancing act. LOL!! That's also why they are about 60-70 Dba! LOL!!

You are willing to accept higher temps to have less noise, while I'm willing to accept a little more noise to get cooler temps. We're both right, as we both get what we want. It's just what each of us prefer! Yours doesn't get excessively hot and mine doesn't get excessively noisy! We both win!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hello gentleman, Well im doing my shopping for my parts and looking for a good bargain. I noticed that the Cpu Q6600 and the E6850 are both the same price. Is there a big difference between the two. Im researching the data on both of these chips at the moment from Anandtech and and Toms hardware to see how they stack up. But i want some field input from those that have used it or are well versed in it. Thank you in advance for your input...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It depends what you'll use them for. The E6850 is faster stock, and of course can be overclocked far further, but if any of the programs you use can make use of 4 cores, then the Q6600 will almost certainly be a better bet.

15. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Well i use alot of video editing programs Nero and TMPGEnc and the likes. 3D programs as well Lightwave 3D. Also do alot of website work and flash as well. Im sure lightwave will make use of this not sure on the other programs though...

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Couldn't say for certain but it sounds like you'll make good use of a Quad core CPU.

17. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

Do you think it would be worth it get a quad core cpu if I'm going to be primarily doing heavy gaming with upcoming titles?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For gamers, I'd say stick with dual cores for now. The few games that do make use of extra cores don't make very good use, and you can get current dual core CPUs to go faster than Quad cores.

19. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Well as for Anadtech they pushed the Q6600 with the GO stepping to about 3.4 and reviews on this have said that some have pushed it to 3.5 to 3.6 thats a decent overclock. Depending if you get the chip with the lower voltage settings. Going to see what tom has to say about these chips...

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Of course from what I've read the E6750 can make 4Ghz quite easily...