1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Just about all the popular CPU's out today are gonna hit 3.4 ~ 3.6 ojn air. The bigger challange and performance when it comes to RAM, is what ones can hit 500FSB+.

I use both the Q6600 (GO) and E6750 on P35 and X38 mobos right now and the Q6600 is still hard to get close to 500FSB without some major volt tweaks and very unstable with RAM up devides cause of this hi PLL and FSBT needed to keep them there (lots of stress on chipset and MCH)

500FSB for the E6750 is a snap at very minimal mobo volts compared to the mobo volts needed to stable a Q6600 at even 475FSB. Even the E6550 does 500x and of corse the E6850 does this with room to spare. most are doing 4.1GHz on air and 4GHz easy with less vcore then neededfor E6750 (I use 1.57v on mine).

For the other guy into media, an OC'd dual with high RAM bandwidth and ggod timeings will do just as good for the apps you mention in the same multi tread use of 2.

For the overclocker, the E6x50's are just plain fun to play with, clock high FSB and clock and with less heat output.

I do like my Q6600. It may bench slightly higher in some synthetics, but only really shines in multi core app like WinRar, WinZip and several other number crunching aps for media transcoding/encoding. For just ripping DVD, they're the same more less.

"My Two Cents"

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I'm just going to wait until the price comes down on the QX9850. At $989 at Newegg, it's just too damn expensive right now. I don't know how well it overclocks, but at 55,900+ MIPS at 3.0GHz, who cares! LOL!! I wouldn't at all be surprised as DDR3 memory improves it's timings and Latencies, and the prices drop to see a lot of us with a QX9850 in our not too distant future's!

I would like to see a dual socket motherboard that you could use two E6850s (or any of the new Dual-Cores, for that matter) in a Quad configuration for gamers. That would smoke the QX9850 for sure at a lot lower price! I know, keep dreaming! LOL!!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :>)

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I believe these two first release are "E" extreme versions, so prices will hardly drop to what we'd feel worth it by the time mainstream duals & quads release for 45nm.

Even Nehamen 32nm would likely release befor you see "QX" extremes drop to even $800.00. It's like I said above a while back, just cause it is outdated in terms of us enthusiast, it's still cost too much to get out and the price is gonna hold or they just take a loss and dont sell till we dont need or want them anymore. Remembar how long it took the P3 Tualatin 1.4GHz to drop to "worth it" status before just moving on to new P4?

Clockin' Around The Christmas Tree!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    About 3 years ago I had a new Dell 3000 2.8/800. I sold it and kept the old 420 workstation. It was faster on one 1.2GHz P-III than the newer P4. Using both CPUs it was a runaway for the 420! ROFLMAO Even as a 733MHz it was faster! LOL!! I sold the 3000 console to my neighbor and kept the Workstation. Used to tick him off that I could do the same movie with Shrink almost twice as fast as he could with the 3000. Best $65 I ever spent, and the 420 was only a pup at 2, when I bought it. Came with keyboard and mouse! Found the original 19" monitor 6 months later, a D1226H which was one of Dells best 19" CRTs, for $50! Ran even faster when I upgraded the Rambus memory to 2 GB! Worked out to just a little over $1 a pound! LOL!! Still have it and use it! Expensive SOB when new too!

Clockin On at the Speed of Santa,
    Russ :<)

5. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Hey guys, i wanted to see if anyone could do me a favour or point me in the right direction of Super PI usage and how overlocking decreases the calculation time. Like for example making a stock e6750 @ 2.66ghz run pi to 4 million places. Taking that result and then overlocking to maybe 3.?ghz and doing a reading of how much time is saved.

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

theonejrs, I too still have 3 of the old PIII OC'd workstations I ran. on ASUS P2B-DL w/ SDRAM and P3 DL w/ RDRAM 1200 and dual Coppermiine 933MHz to 1.14GHz and a dual s370 Tualatin 1.13GHz (while waiting for new 1.26 release) to 1.4GHz

Anywayz, as for new Penryn based offerings v/s AMD's new parts, most of us here will not be dabbling with "QX" Extreme chips. "They're not the ones to really look at when it comes to sizing up what's going to happen in the overall Intel/AMD picture,". "It's the Core 2 Quad Q9550, Q9450 and Q9300, and Core 2 Duo Q8500, Q8400, Q8300 and Q8200." that will be in the hands of us real world overclockers.

Just some of the lastest findings on upcoming releases for Intel by next month we hope.

Clock The Cache Box!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NucknFuts,
    The Dell 420 Workstation was something special. It's only real flaw was a 1x - 4x 4x AGP slot instead of the 4x - 8x one. You couldn't use an 8x AGP card in it! It had a full server board, Optional 10,000 rpm Scsi drive, external Scsi port, and it was fast with 2 733s in it and a lot faster with 2 1.2s. You couldn't overclock it but it would blow the doors off of the older P4s. It had a hard drive cage that would house 4 3.5" hard drives and handled both Scsi and IDE. With four 512MB sticks of Rambus in it it really flew. I wasn't joking about the dollar a pound it cost me as the console weighs 58 lbs!

BTW, I had my new GA-P35-DS3R Rev. 2.0 MB all hooked up and with a pair of Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066 memory sticks I borrowed from a friend and it easily hits 4.0GHz. I just don't like how high you have to push the VCore, so I won't be running it that fast. It's nice and stable at 3.8GHz running on a 1900MHz fsb, and that's where I'll probably run it once I get the memory. I wish I could have kept the Tracers a bit longer (say a year or two!) LOL!! Oh well, he was nice enough to let me use it for a few hours, so I shouldn't complain! LOL!! The G.Skill 800MHz memory I have now is only good to about 890MHz so I'll have to wait until I can get the 1066 Tracers first. Very nice motherboard, BTW! Gigabyte really came through for me on this one and it runs like a dream. FedEx really screwed up and delivered the new board to the wrong address and it was lost for about a week. I had a new board the day after we found out it was missing. They even "gave" me the optional Printer port that hooks up to a header on the motherboard so I can run my ancient Mustek 600 III EP scanner on it. I offered to buy it and they sent one along for free! the extra 6 USB ports on the back is a big plus too. At last I have enough USB ports! It has a few other little goodies that the Rev. 1.0 didn't have and is a completely different motherboard. Even the bios is different and not interchangeable with the ones for Rev. 1.0. Gigabyte Rocks! Best service I've ever had in my life! Very nice people too!

Clockin On at the Speed of light,

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I mentioned in an email Russ, the printer port came as standard on the backplate for my board... it's the purple parallel connector at the top of this picture right? That's what I used to use for printers before USB.
    http://img.clubic.com/photo/00502960.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    [​IMG]

As you can see by the pic the printer port is no where to be seen. On mine it goes into an emty slot on the back of the computer and plugs into a header on the MB. You can see the black header on the extreme left! It has 2 USB ports below the LAN port and you can see the additional ones to the right of that. Like I said in my e-mail, it's a completely different motherboard.

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How interesting, the one I got is like the the link I showed you...

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Here's the rev.2.0 of your motherboard. Looks like my new one, but has the DDR3 slots!

[​IMG]

Best Regards,

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So they removed the Parallel port? This is all very confusing!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Look again! I forgot to put the pic in first time. It has the same printer port header on the left as mine does. It just gave them room for the extra 4 USB ports. The optical sound port is under the coax one as well!

Russ

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Maybe you better lay off that water cooled heat pipe...sam...or...are you a Purist...like theonejrs...LOL..:)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Nah! He's just too overclocked! ROFLMAO!!!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Call me suspicious, but I feel like I'm being made a joke out of here. What exactly am I doing wrong? I see no parallel port in either of the two pictures you posted. I don't even know what the header looks like, because I never knew such a thing existed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

sam the large black header by the leftmost pci slot

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah yes, I see it now. However, my point about 'removing the parallel port' is surely still true. If I'm being shown revision 2 of our board, and I have 1.1, the subsequent absence of the port means it's been removed!

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

seems pointless losing a pci slot to the parallel port, when it would have been as easy just to have usb headers and usb ports taking up the pci slot. they must be making some sort of performance gain through having the ports there or being able to produce it cheaper....

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They don't lose a PCI slot doing it, so it kind of makes sense.