1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

so where do you mount the parallel port? of the header to one of the pci spaces on the back of your case surely

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah well, true, but the cable on the header will probably be long enough to mount it in a slot belonging to an unused PCIe 1x slot of some sort.
    I know you still lose a slot, but it's not absolutely necessary to lose a PCI slot doing it.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

These ports can be removed from the perifial plate and mounted to any slot where size aloows. Back when I actually used such and a older midi port, I did just that. However, it is unlikely that one would use all 7 I/O perifial slots, especially since most mobos only utilize 6 out of 7 slots anyways.

So this is done simply to make more room for the moe favorable USB as it can be used for a lot more modern perifail components.

I'm already getting ready for my new Q9450 (Penryn Yorkfield 2.66GHz/2x6M/1333) and is estimated to cost around $316.00 US

Patiently Waiting!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Um, Perifial?
    Indeed neither of my PC's motherboards use the top slot. With my fanless GPU cooler configured as it is I can't use the top one (but then it does let me use the slot in the motherboard directly beneath, which is nice), but I could with my server. That is, of course, if the cable reaches that far.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I missed this one!
    How do you figure the E6850 is faster? According to the review you posted, it's about 11,000 or so MIPS slower than the Q6600 with both at stock speeds. The AMD 9700 was about 5500 MIPS faster, again at stock speed!

It totally amazes me that no one picked up on the fact that with the 9500 and the 9600, AMD now has something to match the performance of most of the C2Ds! Before these came out, the lowly (???) E4300 could clock past just about all the 64x2s. Since AMD had nothing that could match the E4300 before, now at least they can compete with something! LOL!! NOTE:I know it's a Quad Core! Considering that there's still not a lot of software that takes advantage of Dual Cores, who cares! It's a CPU that can compete with most, if not all of the C2Ds stock! And we still don't know how well it overclocks since the one review so far didn't use any Sandra benchmarks. It's like Noctua with their m³/h instead of simply giving the CFM, so someone can understand it. Same thing with Sone instead of decibels. When I see stuff like that, I always ask myself "what are they trying to hide"? At least Tom's gives us the Sandra benches! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I meant for typical applications and gaming. Of course in a quad core environment the Q6600 pulls more MIPS, but unless you're using four cores, the 600mhz clock speed advantage is definitely going to show better results.
    I didn't pick up on the Phenom's performance because apart from one dubious looking offer, in the UK the price difference is unjustifiable for how fast the Phenoms can go. In the US I'm told that's a different story though. Granted, it's great that AMD now have something that can beat the whole house of Core 2 Duos, but again only if you can use more than 2 cores. Up against the Core 2 Quads, they don't cut the mustard, and that is their intended market.
    With regard to the "who cares, it's faster than a Core 2 Duo", I'll take a £120 E6750 over a £165 9500+ any day.

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

look on aria sam 9500 and 9600 are in the superspecials already :)

oh they were but theyve sold them all they were going for £135 9600 :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's excluding VAT. Add VAT to that and you're back at £160, pretty much.

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

there normaly a shade under 180 there so still cheaper than most places that can get hold of them here, seen lots of places with the 9500 not many actualy with the 9600

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I like getting stuff from Aria, I think they're a good PC parts shop, but I usually see them beaten on price. Not in this instance, obviously!

11. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

ive always liked their superspecials , handy when you want to make a few quid on a cheap build for someone lol, and their gadget shop is good for presents lol

12. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I know it's early and only a guess, but the $266.00 USD Q9300 at its stock 7.5x multi for 2.50GHz is already looking to be an improvement over the Q6600 even at stock. Just like the cheaper E8200 @ $166.00 will be equal to if not better then the current E6850. So we can only imagine it's overclocking performance even if it only gets to the same FSB, but it will/or should do so at reduced heat even on same 1.5v.

"My Two Cents"

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

When is the E8200 coming out? I was gonna buy all the parts for my new build today. Should I wait?

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Abuzar,
    There's always something new just around the next corner. I think the thing to do is go ahead and make your purchase, keeping in mind you may want to upgrade later. It's a judgement call.

I'm not pleased with my Phenom 9500.
    I plan and upgrading as soon as something in the 2.8 - 3.0 Ghz range appears. The beautiful Gigabyte board deserves something better.

My C2D E6700 beats it by 100 points in 3DMark06 with the very same video card. The E6750 is even worse news for this Phenom.
    That may not be a fair test though. I'll have to try some other benchmarking programs.
    I also have to find a program that will monitor a Phenom's temperature. So far none I've tried work. Either they don't recognize the CPU or give nonsense readings... CoreTemp reports temps at 206C. It's hard to OC without knowing the CPU temp.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You don't like it? That sucks...

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The mainstream entry E8200 is scheduled for a Apr/May release, but there is a limited model as the E8190 to be out next month. It is exxenially the same as the E8200 but will not have some new tech features like VTT and something else (I forget but will fill in as I recall). It is listed to be he same $163.00 USD.

If you need or want something now, go for E6550 as they can hit the same 500x FSB or hold out till next month and opt for a E8190 or E8400 in the core 2 dual fmily. The Q quads are not know as of yet how much further they will OC compared to current Q6700. We can only see from early reviews that they can at least do the same clock but still apear limited to FSB.

These new duals are gonna' be way cool to OC for high FSB on the X38. I'm getting a E8400 for the price to play with till I pick out my quad, but will likely be the Q9450 for its low price unless the Q9550 looks to be a shining star.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

And these will kick the E6750's ass? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up these days. Too much school work.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Everyone!
    This is what I'm talking about for the printer port!

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pic! I'm a film person and I've never even looked at this camera!

P.S. ROFLMAO!!!

Russ

19. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Maybe I just haven't discovered it's good qualities yet.

Non overclocked Phenom 3dMark06 Score: 5167
    That was using a Radeon 1950Pro Video card with latest drivers (7-11)
    I put the card in my non OCed E6750 PC.....
    Still waiting for it to finish....
    Hmmm... Non overclocked E6750 score: 5206

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why don't you try a CPU benchmark? 3Dmark is fine, but it really concentrates more on the graphics. Average CPU performance might be different though.

Also I don't really want to wait a month, so if some one could tell me how much better the new CPUs are I can decide whether or not to buy. I am on the checkout page on newegg right now.