1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fasfrank,
    You also have the slowest of the Phenoms. The 9600 and the "coming next month 9700" will do a lit better!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :<)

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey did any of you guys get your E6750 to 4Ghz? If so what cooler did you use?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Here's a part of the Sandra screen from Tom's Hardware!

[​IMG]

Yes, I got mine to 4GHz with borrowed Crucial Ballistix Tracers. Still using my Freezer 7 Pro. I won't ever run it at that speed as the voltage has to be set too high. 3.8GHz will be fine!

Best Regards,
    theone

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What the hell, it's good enough. I'll just go get it now.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    What revision is your DS3? If it's a 1.33 get back to me right away and I think you may be able to get the same MB I got on an exchange from Gigabyte! Don't hurt to try! LOL

Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I haven't changed my sig, but I sold the PC in my sig for 800. I'm starting from scratch.

This is what I have so far.
    Click here.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Nothing shows. It says your wish list has nothing in it!

russ

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@ abuzar1, If you need to buy now but dont mind buying again in 3 more months then go for the E6750 for the price. If you have to keep for the rest of the year, then try for the E6850, and it will get you an easier 4GHz as 500x8 on air with good temps for the rest fo the year.

My E6750 Ony needs 1.56v to hold Prime stable but another one needs 1.58v, still under 1.6v wich a lot have bean known to do well for few months now. The same for Q6600 to 4GHz, but I cant speak for the more then 1 month as thats all I got so far.

Hope this helps

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NucknFuts,
    The maximum voltage for the E6750 is 1.35v. It takes 1.57 for me to get to 4.0GHz stable and that's just too high for my blood. I'll sit back and watch how yours does and see what happens. Heat is not an issue with mine but I'll wait and see if you get any electro-migration problems over time or not. I was told, off the record of course, by a Tech at Intel that 1.50v is the absolute max for this chip. Mine, because of a corrupt bios hit 2.00 all by itself and set off all sorts of alarms. It got as hot as 72C before I discovered the bios problem and flashed it to the F-9 bios. When it tried to save the old bios it said "Incorrect Checksum" and dumped it! It's been working fine ever since. When I get the 1066 memory I plan to run it at 3.8GHz with a 475/1900 fsb with the memory on the 2.40 multiplier at 1140. That's how I had it running the other day at that speed, and it ran fine.

I am rooting for your two CPUs to survive. If they last I may bump mine up to 4.0GHz too. I only had the memory for a very short period time so I concentrated on seeing what I could do with it. I ran the short OCCT (30 min) test and it didn't crash or get too hot at 4.0GHz. I also did a brief pass with Orthos at 3.8GHz, but the friend that I borrowed it from wanted his computer back so I had to give it up. Wished I could have kept it longer, say a year or so! LOL!!

BTW the voltage drop on this MB is considerably less than it was on the Rev. 1.0 board. It only drops .028 from set voltage under load. I'm using Everest Ultimate Edition 4.20 Trial version until I can get the full retail version. The temps and voltages are spot on with the readings in the PC health in the setup.

Gigabyte gave ne great service on this one and really bent over backwards once it was discovered that the MB they shipped was missing. I called them Tuesday, the new motherboard arrived Wednesday at 9 AM. I wasn't feeling too well so I assembled everything Wednesday night and I had the new one up and running Thursday by noon. I had inquired about purchasing the Parallel port for my old scanner and they gave me one for free! The folks there couldn't have been nicer about it! Gigabyte Rocks! Really nice motherboard too!

By any chance do you have any Sandra 2007 benchmarks at 4.0GHz? Particularly the Processor Arithmetic, Memory bandwidth and the Multi-Media scores. I was too busy checking things out and I only had 1 1/2 hours to do it in, so I didn't get the chance to run them. If you do have them or are willing to run them it would be most appreciated.

theone :<) (>:

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I'm rather new to this synthetic benchmarking. I barely just use Prime95 and sometimes Orthoes, and of corse Everest for basic RAMBench.

PM me if you want to go over the basic set up. I have Sisoftware Sandra Lite Win64 64 2008.1.12.34.

I'd really be more interested in apps that can target certain areas or components to hel adjust volts where needed. I am testing mine too at a 5;6 devider for 480x8 and it took more mobo volts then when in 1:1 to keep from gettig stop errors in Prime in either 1 or 2 tread. It actually feels a lot smoother as daily user in 500x8 1:1 as 4GHz and DDR1000.

As for the stated max (1.35v), thats for max warrenty. How many OC'rs stick around "MAX"? In my past 5yrs of P4's I went easily 0.1v over MAX as daily for 1 year easy. I never kept a CPU as my primary daily rig for more then 1 year, let alone 3yrs. Lol! If I keep it till at least Feb of '08, it will only have bean 8 months and I will then pass it on to workstation as cooler 3.5GHz in 500x7 DDR1000. Beside, I lapped it so no RMA for me, just new Wolfdale to replace for less. I read a lot of guys doing 1.6 on Q6600's so 1.58 is not as bad then. Oh ya, my CPU in sig reported 1.567v so it rounded to 1.57v idle and 1.576c loaded. I like how the new X38 from ASUS give vboost under load now instead of droop.

Clock On!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NucknFuts,
    The reason we all use Sandra is so we can compare results and get an idea of performance between our various computers. Things like Whetstone and Drystone in the CPU Arithmetic test, Memory bandwidth and multi-Media performance are all we need to tell us what we want to know. We all run those three tests and save the window with Screen Grabber Pro as a .jpg, and then use imagShack to post them on the thread. It's very easy to do If you need any of the software,just let me know and I'll be happy to send it to you.

I fully understand the software you run for testing but the only one that it really helps is you. With Sandra you can post meaningful results that we can all relate to. There's no deep dark secrets here! LOL!! Even tom's Hardware supplies screen shots of Sandra as it's a good gauge of the computer's overall performance that everyone can understand and relate their performance to. It's quick and easy too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Pcmark test suites are good overall performance indicators as well, also allows you to see the performance of mobo / hard disk combos ect

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The E6850 is almost a 100 more though. I don't need to be on the cutting egde anyway.

Knowing me I'll probably use it for a couple of months, sell it for a profit, and make something better.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just a Note in Passing!

Someone posted that Asus Owns GigaByte a while back. That information is incorrect! I was talking to the Head person of the RMA Dept today at GigaByte to personally thank them for a job well done, and I thought to ask. They laughed and asked me where I heard that from and I told her that it was posted in a forum I belong to. She assured me that Gigabyte does not have anything to do with Asus and there are no plans for a merger! LOL!! The closest they get is they both buy chips from Intel!

Just a quick note on Gigabyte's service! I only found out that FedEx had lost my new motherboard on Tuesday morning, Yet The fine folks at Gigabyte had me up and running by noon on Thursday. Having been building computers since 1989, this is the best service I've ever gotten from any motherboard company. Like anyone else that buys a lot of components I've had a few failures and had to deal with various Customer service Reps, but I've never had an experience like this, ever! They were Friendly, Courteous, Knowledgeable and fast. They did everything they said they would do, when they said they would do it and had me back in business in no time at all, as promised. Other manufacturers would do well to follow their lead. My hat's off to Maggie, Chuck and all their staff for a job well done! GigaByte Rocks!

The GA-P35-DS3R is a jewel! I have my E6750 running at 3.520 on a 1760 fsb with my 800MHz memory. It will easily hit 4.0GHz with Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066 memory although I don't recommend it as the voltage requirement is somewhere around 1.56 to 1.58V and I just don't feel comfortable with the voltage that high. Heat is not an issue as the chip remains cool, but a process called Electro-Migration is. The real problem is that once it happens, the CPU is history! There's no turning it off and letting it cool down, as it's broken for good!

What is Electro-Migration? Think of the electronic pathways inside your CPU as very tiny pipes. As you raise the CPU voltage you put more pressure on those pipes. If you raise the voltage enough, some of those pipes may break and leak into different pathways, trashing the CPU!

If you do intend to overclock one of these 1333 fsb chips, Keep in mind that there is no heat problem until well past the sane maximum voltage to warn you of imminent disaster like with the older chips, so you get no warning at all. Given this and the fact that I was personally told by a Service Rep from Intel (off the record of course), that 1.50V is the maximum safe voltage for the E6750! You have been warned!

ck5134,
    Sandra gives you better information and it's the standard this Thread has used since before I joined it. back then if you made a claim, Sandra screenshots were demanded to prove your claim! It seems we've gotten a little lax in the last year or so!

theone :<)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Now I just want to add this. There's no right or wrong, just different experiences We all overclock at our own risk. Mowt enthusiast ten to not stay with one single CPU for more then 1 year. This is very so for me and a lot of guys i waork with. So asking how long it will last at a given high vcore can only be stated for the 1 year.

As for the E6750/E6850 they are preoven stable for the length of their life so far at 1.52v as normal daily users. I read somewhere that custom builders are warrenting a E6750 to 1.6v on water. So 1.57v is in my opinion a comfottable range for daily use with TM2 enabled, Because even thogh most mobos unlink C+P state to only reduce multi, you do get less stress load on the cores inside, even if the supply vcore is idling @ 1.57v. Guys are or have bean taking Q6600's to 1.58~1.6v on water and I have not read of any failure yet in 1 year. I myself have done this to many CPU OC's in the past and yes of corse, the quality can be noticed in 1 year as to how stable it is and either needs more vcore or reduced OC to keep smooth. We're talking the difference of a mild OC of 1.47v to last expected to 5~7yrs, as opposed to 3~5yrs @ 1.52v and at last 1~3yrs as 1.6v.

The E6x50's have hope. Intels newest Allendale-based E4300/4400's based off the E6x50's but on the 800FSB are stock around 1.325v and taking OC's to 1.6v just like all the previous Core 2's. This counts for lots of versions of the Core 2 family.

Again, these are my personal experiences and I would not take much form Intel as they do not really support overclocking or will never gaive advice for it. It is us, the end user that can speak for it. It is alos so that not every CPU module can handle the same vcore, so try it as you need.

As for heat break down, YES, Intel still implaments both TM1 & TM2 modes. If you choose to disable it do to OC stress, then of corse you're on your onw there. But it does work if enabled and will throttle when internal thermal reaches a certain point, if not responded to, it then eventually shuts down (deap sleep hibernate). I have seen the socalled voltages leaks happen at nominal vocre so it is luck of the draw, some rev builds can take more then others. Heat will always be a factor, lees of it will prolong the life of any PC component.

So unless you're looking to OC just for points in benchmarks and max your CPU for days on end, then yes, it's quality will degrade quicker then those for daily use. However, I do know guys that do just that and they at least got 1 year easy with early core 2's to 1.6v.

"My Two Cents"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nonetheless, the bottom end of that statistic is a single year. That's not exactly very long for a CPU to last. Sure, extreme overclockers who change CPUs regularly may upgrade after less than a year, but nonetheless the chance of failure during the working life of most overclocker's CPUs is quite reasonable considering that fact. I don't think I'd ever suggest anybody try above 1.5V on their core.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes, you should probably expect a PC to last about 4~5 years. If it is any less than that, then you probably are pushing it too much.

This is of course for the average user. If you have big bucks, by all means buy an extreme edition and overclock the hell out of it.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or if you're like most of us here, buy midrange stuff and overclock it so its like the high end stuff rich people buy!

19. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Speaking of age, my Old P4 machine is 6 years old and it's so slow its unbelievable. One of the reasons why im building a PC.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah and that average person wouldn't want his 200-300 dollars CPU crapping out on him in one year would he?