1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. He_Man

He_Man Regular member

Depends if the average guy has a good job, :p
    And his wife is less demanding on purchases :p

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I used to buy "E" "EE" Extreme Intels in the past ans I didn't always find them to OC as far as a good midranged. Sure, they find on the high up multi if clock was all you wanted, but most I found could never really get that low multi, high FSB. I speak even of this for todays current "QX" compared to mainstream Q9450. I myself like the overclocker challange.

As for overclocking the hell out of, that usually requires above max (reccomanded) volts, or elst it wouldn't be a max OC.

As for my 1 yr estimate, that was just that, a guess. All of my maxed OC's have mae it 1yr and back to average there after so I cant say how much longer beyond that. In all honestly, how many of us need that max OC everyday. That's why the better mobos have profile saves or you can just make your own. Afterall, I notice a lot do this to a GPU.

My 5mn old E6750 will be out dated in 35 days so if it died next month, I got my use out of it. Lol! I'll do it all over with a E8200. It's just for fun anyways. For those daily users, I keep the best of the batch and use it as my home fil and net servers. Right now, and old E6600 and P4 D-950 do that great.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm using my old celeron D right now. So it goes to show you that old computers are useful as backups.

In normal usage it should not be slow as hell. Re-install windows to see how much it speeds up.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    With all due respect! This is an Overclocking Forum, not an Extreme Overclocking Forum. It's a place a lot of first timers come to learn! Lots of young people come here! Some have some computer experience and want to try overclocking. Most have little or no experience at all! One of the Rules of this thread used to be that if you make a claim, you had to supply links if it was something you came across on the net, and show screen shots of what you are saying you are doing. I don't know whether they've changed that or not but it certainly makes sense to me. You are giving these New Young People the idea that it's all right to set your processor to a voltage that any experienced overclocker would not recomend to anyone! To them, they get the idea that you should just drop the processor in and crank up the voltage! Young people take it this way, literally! Youth is also impatient, I know as I was very impatient myself when I was young. They see you talk about doing it and someone advocating 1.6 now and guess what they're gonna do! I'm a Psychologist, and they're gonna up it to 1.6. Not a healthy starting point for someone doing his first overclock on his first computer that they just bought ready made from Tiger Direct. A lot of damage can happen just setting it to 1.6v and starting it up!

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything but this belongs on another thread man! Start one for Advanced Overclocking! You could call it "EXTREME OVER-CLOCKER'S ANONYMOUS"! I know I'd join You're a fascinating person that very much enjoys taking you components to their limits. You can see the joy in your posts when you start posting about it. For a guess, it's your most favorite thing to do! Start a thread and I'll bet, the way word gets around and it should attract a pretty good technical crowd pretty quick. Folks that want to take their computer that One Step Beyond!

I thought of putting this in a PM but those things tend to become rumors pretty quick. I'm an honest person! I haven't flamed you, but rather praised you for your considerable skills and talents. I just think it would be a good idea, and I think it might help give AD a shot in the arm they could use. I would love to join a thread like that. DVD Hounds used to be like that as Sam will tell you. Folks that really know their stuff. Some with experience from before the PC even existed! You didn't post a benchmark and they would drop a few hints. You know, like "Where's The Benchmarks" and they would hound you till you die! I guess that's where they got the name, "DVD Hounds! LOL!! You would also see a generous amount of posts with a "Smilie" of their BS Flag going up and down! LOL!! Great bunch of folks! A lot were members here, at one time! "That's a thread"! I'd love a group of talent like that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. windman43

windman43 Member

sorry to butt in on your conversation but im i having trouble OC'ing my comp. ive had it to 3 GHZ before, but i down clocked it for better temps. but now ever time i try to get it to 3GHZ it just trys to start up a couple times then it will, but the setting go back to 1.8GHZ. i cranked up the voltage and changed the other setting for the better. but it just wont overclock. i really wanna try and get my e4300 up really high before winters over, lol.

6. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@NuckNFuts
    it might help give AD a shot in the arm they could use. I would love to join a thread like that.I agree with everything you said theonejrs...but that last line deserved the double post...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

windman43,
    I had an E4300 and 3.0 was easier on some motherboards that it was on others. Try setting the base FSB to 333Mhz, the memory multiplier to 2.4, memory timings of 5-4-4-12 and leave on standard performance for now. Adjust the CPU voltage to about 1.375v. It should boot up at those settings. That should give you a 3.0GHz CPU on a 1333 FSB with the memory running at 800MHz on the nose! Just check that bios! I didn't like the temps I got with F-11 bios

Make sure that CPU EIST is turned off, and your and your CPU Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled in the advanced bios features. In the PC Health section open Smart fan control method and be sure it's set to auto! Go to Smart fan control mode and select PWM. What revision MB do you have? I have Rev. 1.33 and bios F-10 works the best. Just be careful you get the bios for the right revision as they do differ. The f-10 on mine kept the temperatures much lower, especially the CPU and motherboard. You have a good power supply although I don't know how much power the 8800GTS with 320MB of memory pulls!. It should hit 3.2gHz fairly easy on your MB!

If it should crash under load find out what crashed. Most times if the screen freezes or you can't make anything work except the mouse pointer, it most often related to memory. If it happens let it boot up at 1.8 and make sure it comes up in windows and then re-boot and enter the setup and see what settings the bios changed in the setup. It should work. I did essentially the same thing when I set up mine. You also might try another click of MCH voltage too.

My new GA-P35-DS3R Rev 2.0 will lock me out of a setting if the bios deems that it might hurt something. I've never seen anything like it! It turns the numbers red in the box you just set and won't give you access to the box! Even if you save it, the bios is smarter than you and it re-sets to the previous setting! Not sure if I like that but I guess it's a good thing in case someone does something stupid. My old board you could set all the voltages to max and it would make smoke! LOL!! My rule is "Always keep the smoke inside the computer"! If all runs well you should be able to make some small adjustments to things a bit at a time and you should be able to get to 3.2gHz at 1.43v or so. I check the voltage in Cpuz and it's always around 1.39v or so. Don't know what your Cooler is so I can't be 1005 certain but whth any half decent cooer and dacent case airflow and it should run fine!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Best Regards,
    theone :<)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    Thanks Man! I hear you talking about the last line! Amen!!

It's very hard to learn anything meaningful when you are just handling the basics when your helping someone. You just don't have the time to catch up n everything new and you get a bit stale. Time to take a break and watch the others and see what they've learned! To have a place to go to discuss every leading edge bit out there! "WOW"! When's it open cause I want to be the first to join! Then I'm going recruiting! LOL!!

Warmest Regards,
    Russ :<)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

AMD Guys;
    O.K. I finally had a moment to fiddle with the X2 6400 BE. Is anybody here using an nVidia 590 chipset to shop talk with on BIOS features and tweaker setings for high FSB overclocks?

Any links to other treads is more then welcome in case I do not get time to surf.

Thankx in advance!

"Clockin' Around The Christmas Tree"
    is the best time of the year

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    You know me! I stray outside the box once in a while and play "What if I do this", what would happen? LOL!! I had some settings that were part manual and part CIA2! set to sports on my gA-965P-DS3 Rev.1.33. Weird Idea, I know but I was getting 32,000+ MIPS out of it at 3.2GHz! Maybe 200-300 MIPS less than my E6750 at 3.520GHz. I can't find the card I wrote the settings on! Not knowing what the overclocking hardware is doing in the system at any given time it needs a better educated guess than I can make. I wish to hell I'd just left it alone!

Best Regards,

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Out of interest Russ, when you noticed your board had Vcore set to 2V, did you spot anything else out of place? Certain viruses can maliciously edit such values and see if they make your CPU go pop! Of course the protection on most motherboard prevent that nowadays, but there's always a chance you'll catch someone out...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's another reason I think the guy FedEx delivered it to tried to use it! it may have gotten a virus that messed up the bios. The settings should have been defaults, but were set wierd! I spoke to the Tech that tested the board before it was shipped and he told me the last thing they do before they put it the box. They pop the battery and short the CMOS pins, then put the battery back in and seal it up in a box. The reason I don't think the problem came from me is that as soon as I flashed it and it tried to save the old bios, it gave an error message about a bad checksum and dumped the file! I had to go in and raise the voltage only after reaching 3.2GHz. It reached 3.520 at 1.47v set in the bios and delivers 1.44 at Idle and 1.28 under load! Survived 12 hours of Orthos so I guess it's good!

Clockin On at the Speed of Light,
    theone :<)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, a full BIOS flash should solve the problem, but imagine the horror of having a virus, using an entirely separate hard drive and OS and still having it!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry!! Incorrect Information!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So just delete anything that has merry Christmas in the header?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Sounds like a plan to me! I wouldn't delete I but would use eraser to get rid of it entirely so the code isn't floating around somewhere on your hard drive!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/merry-christmas-virus-hoax.shtml

lol its an old hoax just revamped for this year

According to this warning message, a new and very destructive virus is being distributed that carries an attachment named "Merry Christmas". The message claims that opening the attachment will activate an "Open Log Fire" that will "burn" the hard drive in the computer, thereby damaging it beyond repair.

However, this information is untrue. There is no virus like the one described in the message. This "virus warning" is another incarnation of a long running virus hoax email. Aside from the Christmas references, the message is virtually identical to the widespread Olympic Torch Invitation Virus Hoax. The following example of the Olympic Torch version illustrates the similarities between the two:
    You should be alert during the next days: Do not open any message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it. It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept. SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US
    And both versions are derived from the Virtual Card For You Virus Hoax, which has been circulating continually since 2001:
    WORST VIRUS EVER --- CNN ANNOUNCED PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!! A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner:
    It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title: "A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York , according to news broadcast by CNN.

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.
    So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You. " As soon as you get the mail, delete it !! Please pass this mail to all of your friends.

Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people, like myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not at All.
    All three versions of the warning are equally false and should not be taken seriously. Forwarding bogus warnings such as these is counterproductive. Forwarding false virus warnings can cause unnecessary alarm, and people who have received such hoaxes may be more likely to ignore genuine warnings. They also needlessly clutter inboxes.

While the information in these messages is invalid, it should be noted that malicious emails that are designed to look like email greeting card notifications are being distributed. As Christmas approaches, the criminals responsible may send out fake Christmas greeting emails. Some versions of the Virtual Card For You hoax try to make the claims seem more legitimate by including some factual information about these malware eCard notifications. However, this genuine threat is in no way related to the fictional viruses featured in these hoax emails. The eCard notification emails try to entice the recipient to visit a malicious website that can download and install a trojan. This trojan can give a hacker access to the infected computer but it certainly does not destroy the computer's hard drive.

Before forwarding any virus warning email, it is important to check that the information is valid. Even virus warnings that were originally legitimate often become seriously exaggerated or hopelessly outdated during their random and uncontrolled journeys through cyberspace. For these reasons and others, sending virus warnings via email may not be the best way to alert Internet users of potential security threats.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    My apologies! I was sent this information by a friend and didn't really check it out myself. I put a little of the blame on Snopes for the way it was all written. Still I'm the one dumb-ass that didn't take the time to completely research it before I posted!

Here's the correct information from Snopes:
    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/invitation.asp

Again, my apologies!

Best Regards,
    Russ )>:

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

lol no problem, i just knew i had seen the basic mail structure that you posted before somewhere. still if it keeps people on their toes about internet security its not all bad.

all the best Mark

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    LOL!! I should know better. First off if there was a Virus like that for real that Anti-Virus Programs couldn't remove I would have been notified by Kaspersky to watch out for it! I notified my source and let them know that it was a Hoax!

I'm afraid I've gotten a bit lax as to my Anti-Virus! Kaspersky is so good and becomes more invisible over time, I don't even think about it! nothings ever gotten by it. One time I got a Virus that Kaspersky flagged but couldn't remove. They had me run an external program from their lab and it removed it! It even gets Root Tips!

The way the e-mail was presented with the warnings about no anti-virus could remove it was designed to induce panic! And Panic I did! ROFLMAO! When I went back and checked after I read your post, I realized I had just been "reeled in"! Got me Hook, Line and Sinker! LOL!! Oh well, there's a first time for everything!

Best Regards,