1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I get sent these all the time, and laugh at them every time. What's worse, if you don't send that on to at least 75 people within an hour of you receiving the email, an axe murderer will arrive on your doorstep to kill your family!

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

does that mean ill get the £500,000 + inheritance from my parents house sooner =o)>

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    That's the thing, I got this from someone who I thought would have known better. had I just checked the link before I sent the info I would have seen it right away! LOL!! I rarely get any spam so I don't usually get any messages like that at all!

ck5134,
    Yes, but you'll have to provide your own Axe Murderer! ROFLMAO!!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    [​IMG]

best Regards,
    Russ :<]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. windman43

windman43 Member

i havent found the time to try any of that stuff yet, bbut thanks for replying. if it work ill let y'all know. thanks again

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Is it Server 2003 and XP x64 compatable? How effective is this in compared to Panda Platinum in performance? Is it a low resotrce app to run as needed? I use a hardware network firewall but want seperate workstation antivirus. I like Panda but has not offered a simple Server and Xp x64 version for 2 yrs now (only corporate network edition). Does anybody know if they are working on one yet?

Just curious!

Oh ya, since we got off the overclocking topic for a bit anywayz, can somebody confirm if Microsoft is modding a DirectX10 for Sever 2003 and XP x64?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just a little side-tidbit, I'm currently using a laptop of my parents' which runs Vista Home Basic (yes, I know, it was cheap). Their old laptop (which ran XP) had a Celeron M360 @ 1.4Ghz and 256MB of RAM. This one runs a Sempron mobile 3600+ @ 2.0Ghz and 1GB of RAM, and it's no faster! If I ever needed a reason not to go Vista, I've just experienced it first hand...

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

sam i cant agree with you more, vista is not suited to laptops at all, its a power hungry os for sure, worth getting your parents an oem xp home or xp pro, ive tried vista on a few peoples pc's and im not going to change to it, if the time comes for a total os change ill move to ubuntu, or hack os leopard to work. but there are a few other open source projects going on recreating windows around their own kernel and still keeping compatibility, some components ie ntfs is taking a little longer to create but theyre getting there.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Graphically, I quite like Vista (although not enough to install a spyware-ridden Vista transformation pack), but I don't like how it's not at all obvious to the average user how to shut the PC down. The tiny little arrow beside the far more obvious button that actually puts the PC into standby just isn't acceptable to me.
    But as for the performance it's an absolute joke. Besides the graphics card, this laptop's as powerful as my last gaming desktop. That thing ran XP and was relatively fast. This is the slowest PC I've used in a long time, although ironically not as slow as the P4s at my college, which only run XP? I knew P4s were slow but good god, I'm so glad I didn't have one now!

10. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I think I'm one of the few people that actually likes vista. I have vista home premium on my laptop and it's fairly fast. Much faster than any other computer desktop we've had in the house. Sure it cost much more to get up to the speed of the same system under xp, but that will change eventually. Vista is still relatively new. I've encountered almost no problems with it (besides a few incompatibility issues, which have all been cleared). With technology like DX10, as well as others that will surely develop, given time, the choice was pretty clear to me. But obviously, vista requires money. For people on a small budget (like I am for building my sister's pc), xp is most likely the best choice.

11. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the thing that makes me laugh is ubuntu is far superior graphicaly, a totaly free o/s too, and will run faster on an old dare i say it xp2500 with 512meg than vista does on a high spec pc with 4 gig, fair enough ubuntu isnt everyones cup of tea, but the point is it shows how bloated vista is. ubuntu has no need for a firewall of anti virus as its all built into the main os and runs transparently. ubuntu also never needs to be defragged as it adresses data on the harddrive in a much better way than microsofts poorly coded file systems :)

I just hope that one day there will be a true contender to microsoft, but linux o/s are getting noticed by a larger user base now and for most general pc users provide all the programs that people need in one tidy package for free :) games support is getting better and if you run 'wine' you can move over to ubuntu keeping all of your old documents , mp3's, pics, ect.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

bricopacks transformation packs are clean, plus get an old version of yod3dm (before he sold the program) and rocket dock and you can have a system much like vista

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

From an overclocking standpoint, pro or not (especially noobs), x86 (32bit) XP/XP Pro and Vista (as of now, today) are just not that great for stability and performance. Why do you think so many performance overclockers use Server 2003 (converted to workstation) x86 or x64 for stability and overclocking or jsut simply XP Pro x64 Edition? Vista Ultimate 64 or coming Vista Server may prove to be OK, but they do need some major tweaking to cut out all the resorce hungry apps us overclcokers just dont need in the way, and to speed up performance. I cant speak for Linx yet, but I do believe it has equally a chance of becoming a good OC OS for low resorce and stability, only being driver limited for today.

Since a lot of biginners are coming herer to learn, might as well know now, overclocking with 4GBs RAM and especially 4 slots used is just hindering your OC limit and stability. $GBz is fine for servers but not overclockers, IMHO. This is not just my opinion, but rather just the design limis of the cjipsets and mobos.

Any news on that DirectX10 for XP x64 or Server 2003 Enterprise?

"My Two Cents"

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Just came across this on the net today! I think with all the negative feedback about vist, it's funny! LOL!!

[​IMG]

Hell, they still don't have all the bugs in XP Pro all sorted out! ROFLMAO!!

[​IMG]

theone :<)

15. REAM

REAM Guest

i like vista.....

honestly. no problem with drivers. no BSOD....nothing negitve to say about it.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The thing about Ubuntu is that flash wont work for me!

Also games don't work, at least the new good ones. If I have to emulate the damn OS, then why not use that one instead?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With a hugely powerful high-end PC it runs great. However, for your average low-spec cheap PC, it's just too slow to be worth bothering with.
    Abuzar: I echo those thoughts exactly, I love my Ubuntu server OS but I see no point in running it as my main OS, I game too much to waste my time with any Linux distro. XP is stable enough for me as a gamer.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I just wanna' mention, that I don't knock any of these OS's, as I used all of them except Linx as a regular, and only x86 XP for limited time till Server 2003.

Some of us may remember what it was like moving fro 98 SE to new XP Pro and it not being ready for lots of high end media apps yet. But then look. This is likely the same for Vista. It shows potential as it's growing. The pro clockers & tweakers will learn to trim it down to perform like Vista Server as worksataion and get the look and style they want till drivers and high end media apps catch up.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just found this sign on the net. It's from Newcastle England! LOL!!

[​IMG]

Wonder how they collect the fine??? ROFLMAO!!!

[​IMG]

theone

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's from england, why is the fine in dollars?