1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Honestly I don't know much about o/cing, I just do simple safe things, but I am tempted to push my VCore up as I think my current fsb is about as high as it will go and it would be nice to get 2.3ghz out of a 2.0ghz stock chip without too much heat increase. I don't have the money for thing like water cooling, else I would get a beast of a machine AMD Athlon 64 Dual core 4200+ (one HUGE beast of a chip) and o/c that and have water/liquid cooling etc..

Sorry I can't be of much help, but if you are running watercooling then even so I think 2.0V is your top end, because the review I read for my chip the guy was running watercooling on his. The problem with increasing the VCore and also asjusting your fsb etc is that the more you push them the hotter your CPU gets, so push one and if it is getting hot without much extra power, drop it down, push the other one to highish temp/till your pc wont boot up, then run them both fairly high but within a safe temp 60-70deg C is normaly the MAX range you want on your CPU.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

to alien13, IIRR, it would be more worth your while investing in a new CPU and motherboard set since the oc potential of a P3 or Duron will be small (high in percentage, but low in mhz).

To nohelpme, i pity you for having a Celeron D, i really do.

3. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Anyone ever overclock Celeron D?

4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks, we were lookin into getin a new mobo and CPU anyway, so will do that when we get the money :)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, if finances are tight i'd suggest a Sempron, none of this Celeron D rubbish... :D

6. Molks

Molks Member

those celerons are real good for oc'ing though eh.. wicked smooth:)(

I picked up a venice core 3200, and got an Abit guru kt800 or something. The temperature sensing was all off by 13 degrees (did a heat change with clock speed check). Needs 1.6V at 2.55Ghz whereupon that speed with a stock heatsink it dumps on me. The mobo is good (the HT is on 200 x 3 - is that stable?) - any advice? (like would a thermalright xp120 actually allow me to stay at 2.6Ghz?)

7. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

8. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

I've noticed a few people in this thread have been OC'ing there AMD64 chips. Well, i recently put together and OC'd this spec:
    AMD64 3000 Venice, ASUS A8N-E, Geil DDR400, Seagate 160GB Sata, Antec case + psu.
    The system is running 100% stable (prime95 & memtest86) at this spec:
    CPU 2.568GHz
    DDR Dual Channel 428MHz

Max temp under load (stress test) is 49c

I'm really impressed with the Venice chips and the relative ease at which the ASUS OC's would certainly recommend.

9. skidme

skidme Guest

I'm thinking about getting an MSI board. I heard they're very easy use for overclocking. Also for those of you planning to buy new Processors, AMD lowered prices today, so wait a bit and there should be some good deals out there...

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

ok how to unlock pipelines on a leadtek 6200 td in riva tuner
    install the graphics strap driver so you can edit the graphics processor config, then simply :)allow enabling hardware masked units
    ,click customise by this option and simple put a tic next to bit 00 and hey presto 8 pipelines :) =o)>

anyone got any advice on the overclocking settings for my new mobo, its way different to my old mobo and a tad confusing, seen cpuz benches done with a similar components with the processor hitting 2.7 ghz on air, but i cant fathom these new mobo settings at the moment , any help would be greatly apreciated. as i want to get the most out of this pc and the loan that paid for it lol

11. ppiper

ppiper Member

Yes the msi neo2 plat 939 is easy to oc but the DFI board will yeild higher ocs. I have a neo 2, im getting a X2 this month either 4200 or 4400 and giving my winchester to my son and slapping in a nforce4 board in a new build for him. Im thinking of building a dual core pentium d also to play with.

12. Molks

Molks Member

not all the dual core P4's have hyperthreading - is that right? are you going to pick one of those up? How well did you manage to overclock the venice

13. ppiper

ppiper Member

Yes not all dual core pentium ds have hyperthreading. As for the venice i do not have one (winchester@2.6) but i have seen people hitting 2.6 easy and higher if i was stuck at 2.5 i would try running a divider to see my limitations.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To Alien13, a 939 PCI-express motherboard is heavyweight stuff, for high end Athlon64s only. I can't really say exactly on "not too much" but that mobo certainly doesnt fit that description. You'd be looking for a Sempron 3000+ with an ASUS AV motherboard or IDEALLY a Sempron 3100+ with a similar mobo (socket 754) - the 3100 is a great processor for the price and asus mobos provide fantastic overclocking potential with this combination if you're into that sort of thing.

15. datageek

datageek Member

Finally made up mind on what to build - Dual Xeon For analog to digital capture. Just got a Asus PC-DL from E-bay for a decent price and will be using this for reference (just one of the many sites) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=363017 http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50314 http://www.ctechnet.com/hardware/Asus/PC-DL/asus_pcdl_5.htm http://www.datamine.tk/forum/

The fun begins to make all the necessary mods to OC P4 Xeon 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz on air cooling.

Thanks to you guy's for the insparitation

djcsurf - what voltage are you at for the OC? Also got a new Asus A8V from Ebay for the wife and will be getting a Venice 3200+ for that rig.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  16. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

17. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

what is it with people and semprons...eurrcckkkk nasty chips, go for an Athlon XP meaty easy OC chip

18. Molks

Molks Member

athlonXP's arent all a piece of cake to overclock, unless its an M of course or a 2500. Some semprons will oc well too, and soon will be made on 90nm die size with more SSE instructions, so expect a pentuim beater that will oc well.

19. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

AMD = Pentium Beater anyways, :Þ

Well I have an AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+ and it is currently overclocked to 2.3ghz on cheap fan cooling. My mobo a Leadtek something or other makes it a piece of pish to O/C it, because all I need to do is make sure HT multiplyer is set to x4 and up my fsb as much as I like (currently 231mhz) I also increased the Vcore to 1.6v rather than 1.5, so there is more power for it to handle the higher speeds.

My mate has a sempron and cant O/C it very well. Glad I went for the Athlon 64 :Þ

20. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ok, could some one suggest what athlon64 and mobo to go with it?