1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah like abuzar1 said if you have a 8800GT you dont need to buy the 8800GTS...since it isn't That much faster...if not...GTS is a good choice

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Trying to boost the post count again GTR?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oooh burn!

Anyway you guys probably don't remember this, but in my old PC I had PC-8000 ram that all software programs showed as PC-6400. Now that RAM could overclock much higher than my current PC-6400 RAM.

So is PC-8000 RAM just overclocked versions of the same chip? Kind of like how Core 2 Duos work? The E6850 is just a higher clocked E6750.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In a sense, that's right. PC8500 RAM doesn't exist, it is PC6400 RAM that's been overclocked to run at effective PC8500 speed. The E6850 vs E6750 is the same process but in reverse. Rather than taking particularly good yielding examples and overclocking them, they take the underperforming variants and underclock them. The reason you can overclock any core 2 duo to be faster than even the E6850 is because the core 2 production process is so good now that there simply aren't very many underperforming chips any more, certainly not with the G0 stepping.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Not quite! An E6750 is a chip that has failed some criteria in Intel's stringent testing that doesn't meet the higher standards set for the E6850. All series chips work that way and filter down to the next lowest model. All the cores are the same in a series but some will perform better than others. 6850, 6750, 6550 and so on down the list.

At one time Intel used to take a perfectly good 486DX chip and deliberately crippled the math co-processor in it to make a 486SX chip. Intel's done some other stupid things as well. When they had a minor math problem with one of their chips years ago, they destroyed thousands of chips. Since the problem would have only affected the Scientific community, they should have donated them to Schools where children could have benefited from them. Instead we they got front page Newspaper coverage of all the IRS guys running around, supervising each chips destruction and marking it on their clipboards! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    theone :<)

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have to say, that is pretty damn stupid.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Intel aren't the only example of that sort of thing either.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    No, but Intel was the only one I ever saw that made front page headlines about it with pictures of all these "pencil Neck" clowns running around with clipboards recording each and every one destroyed! ROFLMAO!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you remember when Atari made millions of copies of the ET game expecting it to be a smash hit? The game was a complete flop and they supposedly buried the millions of unsold cartridges in the desert rather than give them away for free!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    ET Phone Home! LOL!! That was the rumor! Coleco was taking all their game business away from Atari at the time and they figured that if they gave them away, it would somehow show that the Colecovision was a better system! Actually, it was! LOL!! I still enjoy playing them with an emulator on my computer! LOL!!

Russ

11. REAM

REAM Guest

i would got he way of either the HD3850 or the HD3870, only because for HD playback and games they have the ultimate image quilty. its even better then Ultras.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I do the same but with slightly newer consoles... :p
    @REAM: yes it is, and hence why I always recommend them. Some people just won't listen though...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  13. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

whoa when was that...how long ago?

i have a friend he is a newbie when it comes to computers...well he has high high academics, yeah so what...but when it comes to computers...he knows basically nothing...well the hardware side...he has an E6600, and a 7600GT 256MB a 2 cheap kingston DDR2 667 RAM...well to be honest thats quite a decent build dont you think? and when he plays games like NFS Carbon he puts all the settings on high including AA and AF...but that card can't really take it so the game lags like HELL...and i told him to lower the settings and turn off the AA and AF, but he said "Why, doesn't AA and AF makes the edge smoother?" I'm like o_O, "Well, yes but your game is lagging like 5H!T!" but he said "But turning the AA and AF of will make the game look bad"...WTF!

He thought having 2GB of ram is so cool...but the ram is crap...

phew...that feels better now...

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Good quality 800MHz RAM would help speed up his games a good bit too! Any idea what his motherboard is. That can mean a lot to the speed as well. It's not just all on the video card! I'll let you know more when I get some 1066 memory for mine how much better faster RAM works out! Also does your friend overclock because the E6600 at stock speed isn't the greatest gaming chip but overclocked is a different story!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah i know that...i don't know what mobo he has got...nad thats why i call him a newbie...he doesn't want to OC his E6600, firstly he doesn't know how to and 2nd he is scared i presume...

and one day i was talking to my other friend matthew about cooling, and cpu fans...and this newbie has whats the point of making it cooler...hes computer is cool already...o_O oh come on..he is such a nOOb...i don't hate him or anything, i just don't like when he thinks he know everything...Damn!

Oh about the motherboard...what is the difference between the rev1.0 and the rev2.0? bios update?...

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Rev. 1.0 has a printer port on the back while Rev. 2.0 has 8 USB Ports. Most people don't use a parallel Port these days, so it makes sense to have the extra USB Ports. I got the Optional Printer port and it plugs into a header on the motherboard and is mounted in a vacant slot on a little "L" bracket on the back of the case the way an expansion card does. It doesn't use a PCI slot, but one of the vacant ones not adjacent to a PCI slot. I've got an "Antique" Mustek Scanner that uses it. The early Rev. 1.0 had some problems with the PSU turning on and off depending on your memory voltage, but would usually boot up with one stick of memory until you set the correct voltage. I prefer the Rev. 2.0 as it doesn't seem to have that problem and seems a little bit more stable when overclocking it.

Flashing the bios is a snap as you can do it right from the setup. You can install a new bios from a Floppy or USB Drive. Very simple and quite painless. Just put the downloaded bios on whichever drive you use, press the Q-Flash button, insert the media with the new bios on it and follow the instructions. It takes about a minute, and is the safest way to do it. I used a Floppy as my computer has one and it worked just fine. Just don't turn the computer off while the Q-Flash is running, or it's RMA time for the motherboard! LOL!! Do not use anything but bios downloads for the Revision you purchase. Rev. 1.0 bios will not work in Rev. 2.0!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  17. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oh ok...i see...more usb ports are better...well...updating the bios seems confusing...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Trust me when I say, it's so easy a child that can read could do it! You click on Q-Flash and it will show the bios you have on your Floppy or USB drive, click on the file and click on yes! Couldn't be easier!

Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's probably ther 7600GT holding him back, Need for speed games are appallingly optimised, so they demand a powerful PC, especially with AA and AF. If he wants AA and AF one so bad, just tell him to drop the resolution down one. As for the motherboard I agree, a cheap motherboard like the one you've got will harm performance significantly.

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@sammorris yep told him that...won't listen...i can't stand and watch people playing games that lags...

@theonejrs i'll try that when i do need a bios update...theres always a first time...