1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

What Sa replied is pretty much what I jsut said several post back, so yes. But as for the CPU, they all start essentially from the same die, but few are so great, they make Extremes, where as others will remain mainstrme with "E" features tuned off (locked out). As for the mainstream, we have to have several rated grades, so lots will be the high-end E6850/Q6700, and rest will be mid and low end. Now the mids do not have to be high-end rejects, just stepped down to make a new model for price bracket and perform as good as need be in that bracket. Now we as overclockers know by now, sometimes we get that lucky high-end CPU branded as mid range and OC it to beyond the high-end model. An vice/versa, some high-end owners (myself included) find them to not OC as well as if we just baught the mid range.

The very same is so for chipsets as I said before. All previous Intel chipsets were !975X but rejeced units became the affordable P965 and so on, such was so for the !875p creating 865P/PE/PE Pro. Chipset asside, mobo makers can add features to the mobo to help make this reduced chipset look better by adding new features and like saome from ASUS even unlock those origional !975X features of the chipset to be used by the new mob as well. (P4P800-E Deluxe for the !865P and P5B for the P965).

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I doubt that the 7600GT is what's holding it back. My young friend Adam just left and I watched him playing NFS Carbon on mine with all the bells and whistles turned on and there's no lag at all! My 7600GT is overclocked to 650MHz (14%) and 1600MHz (11%), but I doubt that would be enough to overcome lag problems. I could be wrong on that front though! LOL!!

SIDENOTE:Forget the PM, It's the Drive! I'll just use Nero to make the CD! Thanks anyway.

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Duly noted. Hadn't seen the PM yet.
    As for the 7600GT I'm surprised, even at 1920x1200 I found NFS:Most wanted just about ran ok at max on my X1900XT, Carbon ran a bit poorly really. On a 7600GT I would expect you'd have to at least turn a few things down, even if it was just AA off.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I have no idea what he was doing to the settings as I don't even know what half of them mean! LOL!! But he said he had everything maxed out. I even thought about installing the E4300 in it to compare the performance, but then I remembered I shipped it out earlier today! LOL!! Damn post office charged me for Priority Mail because even though I blacked out everything on the box that said Priority Mail and removed the bar code, they insisted that if I use their Box it can only be sent Priority Mail. My pleas of "it's a damn cardboard box" fell on deaf ears! Bunch of Damn crooks! Must belong to the villains, Thieves and Pirates Union! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Heh I'm sure you can max it out on a 7600GT if you have it on 800X600 ;)

BTW do you guys know any mini-atx motherboards that will work with Core 2's? I would also need it to overclock well. One my my friends has a Compaq that had it's PSU die and it took the cpu and mobo with it!

He liked how I overclocked my system, but his case can only support mini-atx. I told him he can just upgrade the mobo, PSU, and CPU and be good to go.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

might as well just buy a new case too. he can get a relatively good case for around $50.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He just might, but if he doesn't want to what would you recommend? I haven't really worked with mini-atx before so I don't know much about them.

8. warnerve

warnerve Member

just built a pc with asus m2n sli deluxe,amd athlon 6000,8600 gts

what can i do safely as far as OCing everything

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I have a 1680x1050 Widescreen and it was set to the maximum resolution that fit! 800x600? You've got to be kidding! ROFLMAO!!

You gave your friend some poor advice. The Compaq case has very poor ventilation. Not surprising since none of their computers have decent cases! Tell him to spend $50-$60 for a decent case. cramming all the stuff needed for a decent computer would be difficult in any case that came with a Compaq!

Here's one for $40 from Cooler Master! Not ideal, but light years better than what he has with the compaq case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

I figured that he would just have to have a window case if he buys a new one, so that's what this is. LOL!!

This would cool better and he could add an 80mm fan where the CPU duct is, but no Bling Bling! LOL!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
    $35 with the MIR!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I can get him a Ultra GRID case and 700 XVS Connect PSU for 100, but he doesn't want to spend that much.

He will probably just end up throwing it away and buying another dell lol!

EDIT: Any of you guys tried this motherboard?

MSI P35 Platinum
    I looked up some reviews and it performs better than the GA-P35-DS3R! Maybe I should return mine and gee that one instead!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Really, get a new case. MicroATX ones aren't usually cooled very well, so if you're putting decent parts in there, you'll need something that can cool them satisfactorily. Urge him to get a new case, it doesn't need to be expensive.
    There's no need to get a naff Ultra case & PSU combo for extreme money when a simple bland case and a Thermaltake Purepower will do!
    As for Need for speed, I'll be honest, there's no way that a 7600GT can max out Carbon at 1680x1050 and run it smoothly. There must be a setting he missed.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Any thoughts on the MSI P35 Platinum? It's cheaper than the GA-P35-DS3R!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know some people who have had BIG issues with that board. Stick with the Gigabyte.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ok, returning is a hassle anyway. It has crossfire support though!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Of all the people you expect to be impressed by that, why pick me?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I know it sucks but you never know. It's human hope I guess lol.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

<shakes head disapprovingly>
    Just started playing the Supreme commander forged alliance expansion pack. As long as I have it on Low fidelity with reduced shadows, I can run it at 2560x1600 with 4x AA. Still looks great. :)
    This is me with my humble X1900XT.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah well my system kicks ass too!

Once I get some games that is.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, there are multiple ways of going about that. Some more expensive than others, if you get my drift.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Already downloaded COD4, and the Orange Box is on it's way. I already have these games but I lost the CDs.