1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good god, be more careful man!

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

About my games? They were downloaded anyway lol.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I'll ask one question! Look around this forum! Do you notice a big influx of MSI motherboards here? The P35 Platinum is one of very few decent motherboards amongst a load of junk that MSI makes. This is really their first foray into trying to make a decent performance motherboard based on the P35 chipset. I have confidence in what I have because of it's quality and designed in durability. I have much the same faith in Asus. both companies make good motherboards. Both companies have created some not so good motherboards in the past too. It happens! Good ideas gone bad due to mostly errors in judgment.

Look a bit closer and you will see where the cheapness is. 5 Sata ports compared to the DS3R's 8. That means a maximum of 4 drives for raid. 3 stage power regulation vs the 6 of the DS3R. Poorer quality sound in 6 channels vs the DS3R's 8 and no HD sound, which I think is great. I could go on but if you compare the two motherboards, it's not too hard to figure out why it's so cheap, and that $124.99 pricetag is only because of the MIR. It's regular price is $20 more than mine while the retail everyday price of the DS3R is $129. Even the eye catching Bling Bling of the roller coaster cooler is designed all wrong. It's "eye candy"! Most cases are designed to flow cool air from the front and exhaust it out the back. To be effective the roller coaster needs to be rotated 90 degrees so that it's cross section is presented to the breeze going through the case. It's the only way it could ever be effective! That would present a whole raft of problems in itself, space wise. Oh! The P35 Platinum has Firewire and the DS3R doesn't! Wow!!! That's the only Spec that's better comparing the two motherboards, and only because the DS3R doesn't have one! I think I'll die! LOL!!

Even the so called performance edge isn't that big a deal. All the good P35 motherboards perform within a very small percentage of one another to begin with. All have their strengths and all have their weaknesses! If you took 6 of the same motherboards and compared them even up, you would see the same differences caused by the difference from Chip to Chip, Memory to Memory and motherboard to motherboard as no two boards perform exactly the same with the same components. In short I see nothing to attract me to this motherboard and a lot to make me pass it by!

My assessment is simple! I'll stick with Gigabyte and Asus both for what they give me, not for what they leave out! I know that if I do have a problem, that Friendly, Reliable and knowledgeable service is just a phone call away! I know from experience that I will be taken care of as quickly as humanly possible by GigaByte! I'll keep my DS3R, thank you very much!

Best Regards,
    Russ :<)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Isn't integrated firewire usually 400Mbps anyway? I'd sooner get a PCI firewire card and do it properly, that is if I used firewire, which I don't.
    I've owned an MSI board in the past, a cheap OEM one, and it was fine, never had many issues with it, but it was very poorly featured. That's also true of the MSI board my friend uses in his server. They work, but you should expect more, esepcially for how much the P35 Platinum costs.

Slightly off topic, did you guys see this?
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/13/ati-demonstrates-hybrid-chip-crossfire-graphics-tech/
    Looks like it's finally starting to come to fruition...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I couldn't agree with you more! There were other differences as well as what I posted. The e-Sata requires a power connection, so one of those powered Sata drives in a case with it's own PS is a must, and they are damn expensive! The S/PDIF is optical only. I'm not about to throw away my nice sounding Sony Digital Audio Control Center because it doesn't have an optical connection, so I would be stuck with analog sound! I also crawled all over their site and there is no mention of any kind of warranty. I'm sure it has one, so why is it hidden away somewhere?

The bottom line is You and I both know what we have, and I'm pretty sure you will agree with me when I say that I think you get much better bang for the buck with either of our motherboards than we would get with the P35 Platinum. If I ever needed something to sway me one way or the other (which I don't), it would be the outstanding service I've gotten from Gigabyte! There are better motherboards out there, but for me, the cost is too high for the amount of performance difference. It's just not worth the money for what you get! I would still spend $300 for the GA-X38T-DQ6 before I would spend $350 for the Asus Maximus just because of the superior customer service! I'm very content and happy with what I have right now!

Oh! GigaByte Rocks!

Best Regards,
    Russ :<)

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

GA-X38T-DQ6 is a sexy board...but too expensive...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    The sexy part has nothing to do with it! It's a damn good motherboard and worth every penny! I would love to have one, but it's beyond my budget, for now! I sure as hell wouldn't take the MSI P35 Platinum over it, or over my P35-DS3R for that matter! I'm planning on being at 3.8GHz as soon as I can get a set of 1066 crucial Ballistix Tracers for it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Those Sticks are 100 dollars at the egg right?

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

what makes Corsiar ram so expensive?...is it because of the heat sink?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I wouldn't call $114 expensive for High Quality 1066 memory. The Crucial was $129, and I have more faith in Corsair!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

$114 theres, it's about $180 here...

is this GA-P35C DS3R?
    [​IMG]

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    That's what Newegg has them on sale for!

I'll give you a few hints on memory, especially higher speed memory. When you read reviews at places like newegg, after a while you can almost tell immediately what someone did wrong to break something, especially memory. I can't really see any reason to overclock 1066 memory very much to begin with. I plan on 3.8GHz for my E6750 and at that speed with the 2.40 memory multiplier this should put my memory speed at 1140MHz with a 1900MHz FSB for the CPU! Plenty fast enough for me!

Some of these clowns in other overclocking forums seem to feel like they can get more out of memory by increasing the multiplier and upping the voltage. I would guess that a lot of the memory that's complained about on Newegg wasn't DOA or failed in normal use. most of it was broken by idiots upping the voltage. I love the ones that that stress that they didn't overclock it! It's as funny as the kid telling his mother that he didn't eat the chocolate but it's all around his mouth and face! LOL!! No big, if you are overclocking 667MHz memory or even 800MHz memory.

My 800MHz G.Skill runs at 1.9V. The corsair Dominator at 2.1v and is about 42% faster than 800MHz memory, at 1140MHz. That's the speed I ran it at when I borrowed the Tracers the other day to try 3.8GHz! I just wish I'd had time to do some benchmarks as I'm sure I would have been impressed. I'm not one who stresses everything out to the max! I like to leave a little headroom. Sure I play with it to find the limits, but I have no intention of leaving it that way. Far too many things can and do go wrong doing that. I've seen computers that passed 12 hours of OCCT or Orthos, only to fail while folding. I had a 3.0/800 Prescot that would pass every test at 3.94GHz that had to be lowered to 3.71gHz because it wouldn't fold properly. That was a warning sign that in spite of all the testing something was still wrong with the computer!

When I get up in the morning and switch on my computer I know it will work. I know if I don't stress everything to the max, that it will last! I've seen that it will run at 4.0GHz, so I have nothing to prove to myself, or anybody else for that matter. I won't risk my CPU running it for very long at the kind of voltage it takes to get to 4.0GHz. Do you think that that extra 200MHz is really going to make that a big difference, because it isn't. The risk of blowing things up is just too great for my budget and I can't afford to be without my computer as I can't just transfer the software I use in my work to just any computer and keep on working!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Yes, it's the same one sammorris has. It's a rev. 1.0 the Rev. 2.0 has no printer port on the MB and 8 usb ports. You can see the extra DDR3 sockets. Look on the left and you can see a black header just above the yellow usb plugs. That's where the optional printer port plugs in!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have the 1.1 rev, for reference.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    Here's a better look at the Rev. 2.0

[​IMG]

You can see the extra usb ports and the black header for the printer port above the yellow external usb headers.

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

since not too many "serious" overclockers here, as I'm told so many times 9yet I get asked high end OC ???'s), then Corsair is fine at stock and mild OC. But since I use both, I can say the Crucial and OCZ go further then the Dominators and especially for the money spent when new. I was totally dissapointed early this year.

As for those MSI v/s so and so. I keep telling you guys, you get what you pay for. buy cheap, get cheap or "just OK". I ran a few MSI's in the past of the higher end Neo and Platinum on the 875/975 days and they were great mobos. I do have friends running the P35 Platinum o both DDR3 and 2 with good results compared to my Abit IP-35 Pro and ASUS P5K Deluxe of same chipset. Even run their GPU cards and good performers for the price. I know there's so much Gigabyte "fan-boi" here so it's hard to get a clear open minded opinion.

So better yet, have a look around the other overclocking forums and you will notice a patern. Granted a lot are followers, but weed out the picky enthusiast and you will see a lot of ASUS, DFI, MSI, and Gigabyte (the DQ series of corse). Just a few Abit recently since the success of the IP-35 Pro, but not a lot.

In my opinion and experience, I have not used a on board audio codec since the nVidia Storm Audio and it was just to test and bild for friend. as a meda enthusiast, I waould just asume the mobos came with no audi sulition since most serious gamers and overclockers dont bother anyways. But that's just me and most the enthusiast users. It's fine on the budget mobos. I liked when ASUS & Intel (built by ASUS) used to ofer the non audio codec mobo for enthusiast.

As for the issues on "not enough" USB or SATA. Well all the mobos you guys are complaining aout at the very least offer the standard Intel 6x SATA 2. all the extras are offered via a cheaper J-Micron controller that usually only offers lagacy SATA in a non RAID function anyways, so as the other guy said, Better offdropping your own PCI-E Sis SATA II card for an extra 4 if you so need them. And for the ones that still have good EIDE, add the same for PATS-133 on PCI-E as well. And if you have so much periffials that max out 8 USB then for stability purposes under OC'n, move some of it to PCI-E or PCI. (ie; PCI-E HD TV and Radio, E-SATA, IEEE 1394 A/B, etc.).

Just My Experienced Opinion!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I take offense to that. There are plenty of decent motherboards out there, but when our Gigabytes are just as good for much less cost, then why not?

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey man as much as I would be willing to switch to anything better for the same price, I have to say all my Gigabyte motherboards have been outstanding!

I don't have any fanboy notions either, you just have to admit they made a great product.

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Wow, now, so sorry, didn't mean to make any kind of offence.

Remember, I own 2 of them myself and can now speak very highly of the 2 I have.