1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, that's fine. I just don't like being accused of being a fanboy simply because I often recommend a particularly good product. I'm willing to buy from other good brands if they're right for me, but for the moment I choose not to.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Know what's funny? I get labeled a Xbox fanboy so much. I just bought a PS3 tho :)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, you must be raking in the money to want one of those...

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

330 dollars for a brand new one? You must be kidding me, thats cheap! I just sold my launch day wii for that!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now I'm no console fanboy (heaven forbid) but I can think of no good reason why you'd do that. Especially now that some half decent games for the Wii are starting to appear.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Resistance fall of man. Anyway if I ever want a wii i'll just buy one later.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    That would be me! So it's wrong to let people, especially newcomers know how they'll be treated at Gigabyte and relate my personal experience to them? Or to tell them about How good I think The 3 top P35-DS3 series motherboards are, thats based on my personal experience with one of them? I'm nothing special! I know no one at Gigabyte, so why would the folks here be treated any different? It could just as well been anyone here! They make a very good product, and there Customer Service is second to none I've ever come across, and I've dealt with Customer Service and Technical Departments with companies all over the world for over 38 years! Gigabyte will even give Help and advice on Overclocking! Try that at Brand X, Y or Z and see what they say. Outside of DFI I don't think any one else does that!
    I only participate in discussions in the two forums that I respect, although I do visit others, sometimes. The ones I respect are AD and DvdHounds! The Hounds is mostly Asus, and then Gigabyte. There are many other brands here that are not represented at the Hounds. That says a lot considering the level of talent there!
    I'm sitting here listening to Theater Pipe Organ Music both real Pipes and Virtual Pipes. One of the most difficult instruments in the world to record and play back because of it's Enormous Dynamic Range, far greater than any other instrument in the world! It's magnificent! There's nothing like it! My hat's off to Realtek for such a great implementation of the 889 sound chip and their HD sound! I use a COAX S/PDIF connection! DVDs are something new with true theater sound. Close your eyes and you're in the movies! With Eragon, you felt like you were flying the dragon with him because that's where the sound places you. I's just awesome!
    Tell you what! I've never had a problem with J-Micron Raid and I use it often. You're dead wrong about the P35-DS3 series Sata3 controllers! The DS3R has 6 Intel Sata3 Ports for raid 0, Raid 1, Raid 5 and Raid 10, and 2 GigaByte Sata3 ports that also do Raid 0, Raid 1 and JOBD. The EIDE is 133 with the proper cables. I've never needed more than 7 USB connections in my life and even then only when transferring data from one flash drive to another, which is rare! Another of them draws no power as it's a powered hub I use for charging the Camera so it doesn't put the voltage load on the MB. 5 is the normal amount used. The only slot I use on the motherboard is the PCI-E slot for the video card so I'm in good shape there!

I did this build and got it running real sweet. I posted Sandra 2007 Benchmarks to prove my claims for Processor Speed, CPU Arithmetic, Memory Bandwidth, and Multi Media. I've validated and Posted a SuperPi 1MB, of 14.735 seconds and a 32MB, of 14 min, 46 sec and 62 ms. It will even fold perfectly! All of that tells me that I've built a real good machine that's a solid performer. Not the fastest here for sure but for the relatively few dollars spend it's a Great job and very far from slow! Does absolutely everything I ask of it and more. So I guess that if it makes me it, it makes me it! "I am GigaByte's #1 fanboy" here at AD, and more than happy to tell and show the nice Folks here why! And if that isn't a clear open minded opinion, I don't know what is!.

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Tear to You and Yours
    [​IMG]

Theone :<}

P.S. I forgot. "GigaByte Rocks"!

Russ

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, for you maybe. Over here, Wiis cost the equivalent of $800 now due to a supply shortage!
    As for the optical sound, I would use it but it doesn't support 5.1, so a nono for me, I'll stick to analog, it still sounds amazing to me.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm yeah it's in short supply here as well, but I have my ways. You know that...

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm a bit puzzled by that as my Sony does! The Dolby Surround is magnificent. I follows the sound very well, like a good sound system in a movie theater. DVD Movies have taken on a new dimension! Just be sure you don't try to enable it through the Realtek program unless your Amp has 6 channels in! Otherwise just leave it set to 2 channel sound and enable 5.1 in the Sound properties in Windows!

Best Regards,
    Russ :<)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's all well and good, but if I do that I still only get 2 channels. If I try to enable something like dts in mediaplayer classic, I get horrible stuttering sound that's completely useless.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Without getting into the tension and animosity I would like to know what you guys think about certain DDR2 RAM when it comes to OC'ing. I posted some choices in the PC forum and got a few answers but I would like to hear from you guys in the OC forum.

This link directs you to the choices I provided. Out of these which one is the best and then which DDR2 1066 would you guys recommend. No choices but I'll let you guys recommend then I'll ask the silly questions. lol.

I'm basically a n00b when it comes to this stuff. I can read but I don't want to read for days and then come and ask the silly questions anyway. I've read a little and know that you can OC thru the mobo software and thru the BIOS. I'm betting and have read that thru the BIOS is the way to go. ;)

For parts I'll have the Intel E6750 or E6850. I'm looking at a great deal but haven't decided to pull the trigger yet. I can get the E6750 for $189 delivered or the E6850 for $261 delivered. :) Is it worth the extra $72 for the E6850? Anyway........

I like the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L or Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R or Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0. link I've looked at the ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 link and like it too. ;) Glanced at the newer MSI boards. link

I know this is a lot when it comes to asking questions and maybe I need to narrow it down to something manageable but that's what you guys are for. lol.

btw I'll be one air NOT water for this so COOL parts is a must I think. :D

TIA.........

....gm

@theone,
    How is that E6750?? I see that you have more than one of them. lol. Is it better with heat than the E6850? thanks....... ;)

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's no need to skimp on powerful parts if you just get good heatsinks! A pair of thermalright coolers (one for the CPU, one for the GPU) will run even top end hardware with good temps pretty much without any fans at all.
    I'm no RAM Guru, but if you stick to Corsair and Crucial, particularly Ballistix Tracers you won't go too far wrong.
    As for the other choices, an E6750 and a P35C-DS3R seems a match made in heaven.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greensman,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148070

Take a look at these! A little more money than any of your choices but they are reported to work great in Gigabyte's top 3 P35-DS3 series and every forum that I drop in on seems to think they are great. I've asked some people who know their stuff better than I do and they think it's the right memory to go with. You know how it is, when you hear something often enough you want to go back and pay a little more attention and the word is they're very good, even without overclocking them! Lower starting voltage (2.1v) than a lot of others. The Dominator I was thinking of buying runs at 2.3 to 2.4v and run pretty warm even when not overclocked!

On the two E6750s! I only have one. the other is an E4300 that I just sold and Priority mailed yesterday! Good Chip! I would love to find the answer to the mystery of how I got and posted screen shots of the CPU Math at 32,000+ MIPS. I was trying to see if I could hit a good stable performance level by splitting it between the Manual overclock and the C.I.A.2 overclocking hardware in the bios! I lost the card I always make of the settings. 32 thousand MIPS is darn good for an E4300!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You and Yours
    [​IMG]

theone :<)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    My stupid! Folks around here all call them Sata3s. I of course meant 3.0 Gb/s ports. Sorry!!

In all fairness to you, I've only been using Raid over the last year and a half or so because a lot of my customers now want a Raid Mirror to protect their data on the hard drive. I use fairly inexpensive motherboards for these builds but I'm very conscious of the features and quality and only use on-board everything. I bought GigaByte for the last 6. As they only run at stock speeds in an office environment I rarely have any problems at all. Last time was a bad memory stick about 20 builds ago. Not bad for the year!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't think S-ATA 3 is going to be too long away so that's a bad habit to get into! :)

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

man...haven't been online for a day...now it's like reading a text book...
    S-ATA 3...pretty interesting...to me...

19. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Hi everyone! I'm sure you all are glad to see me back! (lol)
    Well my thought is this. HAs anyone tried Mushkin ram? I have had
    nothing but great result with it. I have tried corsair and all the popular ram that is recomended on this oc thread. But nothing seems to be more trouble free then mushkin.
    Oh yea... Vista sucks.

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah...Vista sucks...

Oh what do you guys think of A-Data Ram...i think they're cheap and good for a average gamer...