1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh I would beg to differ, my PC looks VERY nice lol.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only Very nice? Well that's clearly not nice enough!
    I have to spend christmas and new year without it, since I'm spending the time away... :(
    Instead I have to use this laptop with Vista on it. Ugh, I think my old P3 ran faster...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol clearly it must be so. It has lights, man, lights!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bah, LEDs for the lose. Ultraviolet lighting, that's where it's at!

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What does that do? Don't you need a black light to see them glow?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You need Ultra-violet emitting cold cathodes (check), and Ultra-violet reactive cables (check). It's subtle, but nice. UV cold cathodes aren't perfect black lights anyway, they produce a dim purple glow, which I think looks very pretty indeed.
    I don't mind coloured LEDs, but I think Blue ones are heavily overused, and don't always suit their application well. I use a white LED fan on my heatsink, which looks quite nice.

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol, guys stop! you guys have the best PC...

i've checked the toms benchmarks, the cache doesn't really make a difference in games or the apps, well E2140 is a cheap cheap CPU and it clocks well, if clocked it's faster than...than...uh...than...E6750? maybe.

"Ultra-violet" whoa what does that got to do with computers?

oh when OC does RAM and mobo play a big role?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, both play a big role. Without a decent mobo and decent RAM, you can't achieve a high FSB, which is how you overclock!
    As for ultraviolet, it's purely cosmetic, it's not a performance enhancement! :D
    As for the E2140, it'll overclock well, but 3GHz or so is about your lot. You can get an E6750 above 4Ghz, and with 4x the cache, that makes for a meaty CPU indeed.

9. REAM

REAM Guest

this thing is, at those Frames, you wouldn't notice a difference. i dont think the human eye can differentiate above 60FP/s

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hey man, i'm a poor guy, if i can get a cheap cheap CPU and reaches 3.0Ghz, i can't stop smiling for the rest of the day/month, i'm buying E2140 is because it's cheap, bang for the bucks, and i'm waiting for Penryn...

so ram and mobo does play a big role, so how well and you OC on a GA-P35 DS3R, with 2GB DDR2 800 Value ram.

@REAM well you can really, use a app to tell you the FPS LOL, you're right you can't

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Theoretically with value 800 RAM you could reach 3.2 Ghz without overclocking the RAM at all.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I would still recommend getting proper RAM, even if you don't overclock it. This can be something like Corsair Value Select though, just don't buy cheap-ass brand stuff, primarily because it often goes wrong.
    As for the P35C-DS3R though, it makes pretty much any overclock a breeze. It's certainly capable of getting 4Ghz out of a 6750, so a 2140 could probably manage 3Ghz at a squeeze. I wouldn't use the stock cooler for that though, I imagine at that level you'd need at least a Freezer 7 Pro to keep it cool.

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

In an Intel system, any cPU double up of cache is always gonna be btter then the less for just about eveything from initial boot up to shut down, and everything inbetween. Now I can't speak for gamng, but for any media apps, the cache pays out. (ie. Office, Adobe- all, Nero- all, WinDVD, WinRar, WinZip, ISO Buster, DVD Rip software, scan software, IE, and general page filing).

As for overclocking, again, on the Intel CPU cache on die, the less cache overgead is gonna go a little further since it has less to handle, but of corse will not perform as fast in the L2 area where cache is called for.

The best example was overclocking the E6300 to the E6600. They ddn't perform better, just fun to OC and of corsed OC'd to furter FSB and clock beyond their stock. I used to get a 100% CPU FSB OC (E6300 to 532x) but still did not out perform my 840x8 E6600.

As for the AMD, I noticed the double cache limits the equivalent OC of the same CPU model. (ie. X64 X2 4400+)

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

i suppose, yeah i'll be getting better ram, but can i keep the value ram on and install another 2GB of gaming ram? will that work out?

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, it will especially since the gaming RAM should be able to downgrade to match the value-RAM to run as 4GB with relaxed timings all around. Then for gaming or OC purpose, just pull the Value-Ram and time the up the gaming RAM and you are good to go. Mobos with profile saves make this a snap (ie. ASUS and Abit). Not to mention, you will only want to mess with 2GBs in 2 slots for overclocking anyways.

Good luck and happy Hollidays!

"Clockin' Around The Christmas Tree"

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually Gigabyte also has a save profile feature.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

In regard to my XFX 8800-GT 512Mbm It is nice but does appear to be a builder overclocked model but does look to have room for a little more overclocking. It's fine for right now. I'm actually ready to pick a medium priced ATI HD with discrete HDMI out to projector/monitor. Will ATI support 1080i as well as P? What are some good pickings for mild gaming but heavy media 2D HD rendorig?

oh ya, I think only the DQ series, I believe my old P965-DQ6 may have, but never really got to use it long enough. My DS3 does not, unless in a newer BIOS, but then I have not had a moment to play w/ or update for over 2 moths. Maybe on the DS4 if anybody can confirm.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Both my DS3s have had it.

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Wow, must be new revision or BIOS then, cause I got mine way back June and haven't updated BIOS since maybe Aug. or Sep. and used since Oct. What mobo rev and BIOS are you on? This would be cool to see if my early rev can upgradefor it since it was such a pain of the many restart crashes and profile losses. My DQ6 had the rfeature and I sure neded it as it had the reset bug too last year. Sometimes so bad, even wiped out profile saves.

My Abit AW9D MAX had simular isses with profile saves and loading. It was picky. But at least it had load profile on the fly feature to get it going quickly. I like ASUS E-Z Flash where you can back up prifiles to hard disc or USB flash and keep.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I had a rev 3.3 board and I used BIOS F12.