1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    While the CPU's performance does help the GPU, it doesn't work the other way around. The only thing a lesser GPU will do is reduce the gaming performance. An old XFX 5200 does just as well when watching ordinary DVDs as an 8800GTX. Most modern half way decent video cards will do everything but games and perhaps HD video. I've only got an XFX 7600 GT in mine and the computer performs very well, even at most games. Not as good as say Sam's, but still more than adequate and has no effect on the performance of the CPU and memory. The E6750 @3.52GHz more than doubles the performance of my video card compared to the E4300 @3.2gHz on the same MB.

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The E6850 hes very good OC potential and can do the 4GHz makr quite easily on air and on medium priced mobo @ stock multi as a snap. 500FSB is just as easy on mid to good boards just the same.

So to wrap it up, 500x8 is a butter zone for this model on air.

Clockin' It Forward!

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah Russ is right the GPU shouldn't mess with your overclock. Get your self a decent video card anyway, some new PC games look like lots of fun.

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

man, cache does affect the performance...anyhoo...3.0Ghz is quite good

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    On mine what improved a lot that I didn't expect, is the video 3DMark 06 performance. 3DMark 06 was in the mid 1800 range with the E4300 and 2MB cache at 3.2GHz. With the E6750 with 4MB cache at 3,5GHz, it's 3917. I realize that some of it is the extra 300MHz but not that much. That extra 2MB of cache memory really helps the video a lot.

Happy New Year to You and Yours,
    Russ

6. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Nice to see some familiar faces over on this thread too haha...

I got everything up and running finally, I was hoping to try some over clocking. Heres a run down of my parts, realistically what am I looking at for max ghz?

Gigabyte P35C-D3SR
    Intel QX6600 w/Tuniq Tower 120
    Corsair HX520 Power Supply
    Corsair 2x2gb XMS2
    ATI Radeon X1300 512mb

Oh, and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 is installed if that matters at all.

According to EasyTune5 (Gigabyte's little overclocking utility) my idle temp for the CPU is 20°C, and my system temp is 31°C.

Thanks for the help.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

hydro x86,
    You aren't using EasyTune5 to overclock, are you! ROFLMAO!!
    And you're most welcome!

So where's the OC bencmark pics??? LOL!! We all want to see what that baby can do!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Hey Russ, haha no I'm not using EasyTune to overclock, although it is tempting - 20% overclock with a few clicks.

I haven't OC at all yet, I'm still trying to get a grasp on how to safely overclock with the hardware I have. My older ASUS board actually had a little overclock setting in the BIOS that let you pick an OC % and go, Gigabyte's settings are a little more cryptic and I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing. So before I fry something I gotta read and poke around a little on this thread.

I found a decent guide over at Tom's Hardware forums for OCing the Intel Quad Cores, but it was for an ASUS board, and for my first time OCing I'd prefer a step by step for my own motherboard, or a similar board, ya know?

Know any good places for overclocking Gigabytes

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well why don't you just raise the FSB in 5mhz increments and when it gets unstable increase the voltage a little bit. I don't know what the max safe voltage for your cpu is, you would have to google that, or you could ask Intel.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

hydro x86,
    AnandTech has a good overclocking guide for Intels. The article is for the Quads but the methods used, apply to all C2Ds and up.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3184

It will teach you a lot as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey do you guys know what the vdrop on our motherboards is?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    On mine it's 4/100 of a volt between idle and full load. My CPU voltage runs at 1.46v at idle and fluctuates back and forth between 1.42 and 1.44v under full load. I would call that minimal! LOL!! The P35-DS3R has very good 6 stage power regulation. Much better than the 3 stage power regulation of the 965P-DS3 I had before!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The ASUS P5K Deluxe and Premium for P35 have zero vdroop with CPU Voltage Damper Enabled. The ASUS P5E and MAXIMUS for X38 have zero vdroop with Loadline Calibration feature Enabled. This feature may carry over to the DDR3 versions and forcoming ASUS models. As for my MAXIMUS, on a 1.56v idle I get a +0.01 vboost under load.

My Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R had as much as -0.06 vdroop under loading under most voltages over 1.45v and no less then -0.04v.

My Abit mobos usually had a fair -0.02 - 0.03v but worked in C+P State to reduce vcore under idle. (ie. IC7-MAX3, AW9D-MAX and IP-35 Pro).

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Suffice to say that all the motherboards NuckNFuts posted have real good voltage regulation. A lot depends on the power supply as well. I just plugged in a Cool Max 500W (came as a freebie with a case! LOL!!) I have laying around and the voltage drop is more than 1/10 of a volt, and both idle and load voltages are lower. 1.36v at idle and crashes the computer at my current settings in about 10 seconds after starting orthos. I got 1.23v just before it crashed! LOL!! Guess that's what they mean by GIGO! LOL!! The 12v really suffers as it drops to 11.36v when you load it down (before it crashes) and barely makes 11.76v at idle.

Attention Newbies! That's why a good power supply is a must!

Best Regards and Happy New Year,
    theone

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Just keep in mind that it's an "open Box" special.

Russ

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I know, the last time I got an open box it didn't work. That's ok though, because Gigabyte did a good job replacing it.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

abuzar1,
    Open is cool, since you get the same warrenty and most agree that Gigabyte is customer friendly.

Instead, I'd concider that the X38-DQ6 since it is gonna offer more for the money and a step forward chipset-wise. ZipZoomFly in CA has the X38-DQ6 for $264. new or $225. open box. Not bad for X38 solutions. Remember, unless you're wiling to go DDR3, then Forget X48 for a few months and stick with X38, since it's likely to be the last best supported DDR2 solution till the end of DDR2. It's performance has already passed up prooven P35 and BIOS is growing as we speak, so it will likely only get better in the months to come till X48 takes the lead market.

Good Strong Power; I 2nd that. Look for good amps on the 12v and 3.3. For duals, look for dual 12v rails as well and for quads, concider quad 12v rails. I can OC w/ a SilverStone high amp 600w quad 12v better then my friend can do with a dual 12v lesser amp 800W (I dont remember the brand). But just to show, you do get what you pay for when it comes to PSU and Mobo.

Happy New Year!

19. REAM

REAM Guest

id prefere to go with 1 big 12v rail. more stability.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My max limit is 150, I cant do more than that.