1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Happy new year everyone!! Hey does anyone know when the new intel chips are set to come out. Right now shopping for a chip either a 6750 or wait for the new 45's if there coming soon and hopefully the prices are resonable..

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The Core 2 Duo E8400 comes out January 20, 2008 for 183 dollars. It's 3Ghz btw.

3. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

OOh that sounds nice.. I hope they overclock well. Hey seems i cant get on the gigabyte site right now so question, Does the ga-p35-ds3r
    support the new chips?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think it does.

5. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Nevermind i was finally able to get on the site. That motherboard does support the new chips..

6. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

WEll i just got my hands on the antec 900 case for 89.99 bought the gigabyte hd 3850 512mb for 200 and the corsair psu 620 for 169. going to get corsair 1066 2 gig ram for 110. Going to buy that motherboard was looking at the x38 chipset but too expensive at the moment..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Get the Crucial RAM. It's only like 92 bucks. Get the GA-p35-dsr r or l version.

8. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Are you running 1066 crucial on that motherboard. Just checking cause on gigabytes site they state only certain 1066 is supported

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm running PC-6400 on my motherboard.

10. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

I hear ya. Well the price difference isnt so great so it wont be a big loss. Just dont want to have to return anything and then get stuck waitng again you know. Dont know why it only supports certain pc-8500

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah the price difference isn't that much but I prefer Crucial over Corsair.

12. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Is there a reason that you do? ALso the Crucial set of pc2-8500 is actually 5 bucks more.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Most people around here tend to use Crucial. I've personally have had very good experience with them.

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

hey guys, when overclocking using a Thermalright Ultra 120 is a superb idea right?...but do you need a fan? if you do, can you use a 80mm fan instead of a 120mm, very curious.

Any one here have a GA-P35-DS3P motherboard? is it any good

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try to get a 120mm fan, its going to make much less noise. Also many of us here use the GA-P35-DS3 motherboard. The variations offer some different things but they are mostly the same.

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah, the P version supports CrossFire, and i not getting dual GPU's so it basically no use to me. Yes getting a 120mm fan is a better idea.
    What is the difference between the Ultra 120 and the Ultra Extreme?

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Either of the Ultra 120's are a good choice, but the Xetreme version is a step above with the 2 extra pipes and has actually prooven to be more effective then ThermalRight's own iFX-14 (twin tower version). You can mount any size fan you can get to size up, just as long as you can get it to tie down and plug in, you're good to go.

For stock cooling, yes, you can run without a fan and still be as cool if not more but much quieter (speaking for E6x50 models). Although, adding one and even two (in a push/pull config) can make big difference in overclocking performance.

Happy Clockin'!

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@GTR35
    As long as it fits in your case...or on your M/B...it does not fit in...or on...all of them...

Also consider clearances to P/S...and particularly the P/S fan...You do not want the (2) fans...working against each other...

You should also consider the airflow pattern wanted in your case...and on your M/B components...If you are using M/B with Heat Pipes that want cooling from the CPU Cooler...a downward firing cooler...or a flower cooler...might be more in order...

You have to consider all the components...as a whole system...in determining what particular component you want to use...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Lp531,
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

First off, the Extreme is not going to fit in the majority of the cases that most of us here have! It's 160.6mm high and 132mm wide! It also weighs a whopping 790g. I have no desire to have that much weight hanging at a 90 degree angle, from my motherboard! Add a fan or two and the weight goes up even more!

Most of us here are not seeking every last .01GHz they can squeeze out of their CPU, they are seeking good overall reliable every day performance, knowing that when they start up their computer every day, that it's going to work and do the job they want and expect it to do! Very few of us here would ever need or want such a monster! There are many proven CPU Coolers out there that fill our needs, for much less money and do the job we need it to do. Need is the key word here! More than that is just unnecessary overkill!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Just to clear it up as to not be mislead. The Extreme version is exactly the same size/shape as the non Xtreme version of the ThermalRight Ultra 120. It has fit every Intel LGA775 mobo I have listed in all my past post. Since most are following toward the Gigabyte, I can say it fits perfectly on each of the models I see listed in the past year of post. It works in either direction of placement only concidering high-rise RAM such as Dominators on some small mobos if fan is set facing up toward PSU. In fan facing backwards, it comes right to edge of mobo. So unless you have sch a tight case where PSU is actually touching mobo edge, you simply mount fan w/ plastic tie.

As for the case, most of the cases Other then micro or small form factor, are suitable for this cooler with an average of 1/8 - 1/4 inch clearance to case inside door. PM me if you need closer tolerances of case door clearance and such.

As I stated before, it is a good choice for many uses. Perfect for mild OC w/ quiet cooling. I thought I saw a lot of us asking for that. And I dont read of a lot of mobile LAN party gamers, so no worry there. Even though I have moved mine many times in good care, both on the open road and around the office. So it's not about maxing anything out, it's just about good solid performance. Yet having that extra room under the hood. Can't be any worse tehn buying a big truck w/ 4x4 and never even testing it out. But hey, guess the 4x4 stcker looks cool. Lol!

nevertheless, they do make a 90mm version ThermalRight Ultra 90 Extreme that is every bit as good for everyday use w/ slightly more fan speed, yet still has OC potential over even the biggest Zalmans to date

Hope that helps clear things up.

Good Luck To All!