1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

"Quality Or Performance Cooling"
    For those that do find themselves in small cases, look to the Thermal Ultra 90 or 90A. The 1st is the 12 pipe version of the origional Ultra 90A. The 90A is the 6 pipe varient. I haven't had a chance to buy and test the new 12 pipe model but I can give you examples to compare to the faved Artic Cooling Freezer commonly used here.

The ThermalRight Ultra 90A with exact fan off the Artic Cooling Freezer improved by a few C and only got better as better fan was changed. However, if one is already used of the noise of the origional fan then it is cool to note that Artic Cooling make this 4pin fan in both a push and pull fasion so you can again get that extreme cooling somewhat closer to that of the bigger Ultra 120.

I was able to run set of Sythe 90mm on the Ultra 90A (6 pipe) in a push pull manner to geting a good performance. Fairly close behind the Ultra 120 (10 pipe) w/ single Sythe 120 and the numbers were good even if the noise was up. But since a lot of us reach for numbers then it's worth mentioning.

The Artic Cooling 120 fan fits the Ultra 120 fine and is a bonus now since most newer mobos are not supporting 3-pin fan control anymore. The other thing to state, is that these Artic Coling fans look cool as is but if you add a skinned shroud around it, you can shave of another 1 - 2C. I used hardened rice paper but any hobbiest air plane tissue coated in Dope hardener does the trick and can be made to look col if you add coler and UV treatment.

Just thought I'd mention it with something most users here can relate to and have a refference.

Clock On!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    It's not that the case isn't wide enough it's the fact that many cases come with a fan mounted to the case cover, pretty much in line with the CPU. I have a Cooler Master Cavalier case that's 8" wide with a fan in the door (optional,my choice). On an 8" wide case there is not enough room unless you remove the fan, something I'm not willing to do. At 160.5mm it's right at 33.9mm or 1.33" taller than the Arctic and there's less than 1/2" between the fan and the cooler.
    I would never accept a CPU Cooler that blew it's air into the fan of my PSU. These get warm enough all by themselves without help from any outside heat source. Either the Dominators or the cooler would have to go. I do agree that for someone seeking a quieter PC should consider one if they have the room for it. Sam's results with the Tunig Tower proves that!
    I was under the impression that these were actually 3 pipe coolers as each pair is just a single pipe that just goes through the block and not soldered to a hole bored in it. That's why you only see 3 crimped and soldered ends on top of the cooler. I used to call mine a 6 pipe cooler but was corrected by someone here. I could be wrong though.

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Yes, this is correct and I was only mentioning it in a way that appeared standard for the average. But yes, All I mentioned are a through pipe. Builders tend to reffer to the doubled amount. So the eXtreme 120 ends up as 6 actual pipes (to date, the most to fit on the CPU cooler base). The iFX-14 uses 5 larger 8mm pipes but utilizing the same surface area on cooler base. My tes showed that the 6 @ 6mm cooled better by 3c then the 5 @ 8mm.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well thnx for helping me out, i'll get the Ultra 120A. I wonder if it's difficult to install, i never tried installing third party coolers.

Pull and push facter, won't the 2 fans to close to each other on the heatsink?

5. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hey guy i have question for yous.. I want to know what is the best way to control my fan speeds individually. Since i want a positive case ventilation i want to be able to adjust the intake to be less than the exhaust. I was thinking of getting a certain product which i provided a link for so you can check it out. If there is a free way or a better way please let me know. THank you in advance for your help.

fan controller

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well if you have fans that plug into your motherboard headers, then you can use software like speedfan to control your fans.

7. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

ok guys I have never overclocked in my life but here is the board

intel Hazelton D865GVHZ

and the cpu is

intel celeron D 340 2933MHz (22x133)

I think its at 2.93 GHz so any help please

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Do you have a aftermarket cooler? If not forget about it until you do. The Pentium D is a VERY hot running chip.

9. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

well actually nope lol but what if I keep the case open would that help?

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It would probably mess up the whole ventilation. If you open up the case can you put a big ass fan right there?

For all I know you cant even overclock at all. So lets make sure you have the ability to overclock first. Is the PC a pre-built like a HP or Compaq? Or did you custom build it?

11. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

pre built fromm emachines

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

prutsos,
    I don't think the Intel boards of that generation can be overclocked.

Abuzar,
    That's a celeron D, not a Pentium D dual-core presler! LOL!! It's single core!

Best Regards,
    theone

13. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

ok so can someone tell me what that means???

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh shit I didn't even read. My bad. The only way you could overclock that would be software from windows. You might get maybe 100Mhz but you have a high chance of screwing it up if you do it from Windows. Give up the idea on your current PC.

I suggest the next time you want a PC build your own. If you post in the PC building thread we'll be more than happy to give you ideas.

15. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Chances are pretty slim to none, Sorry. you have what looks like an old Springdale (!865 varient) mATX w/ crossover socket to LGA775 to utilize DDR1 (PC3200)and Intel had no features for OC'n then.

The CPU has potential if put on a good mobo w/ good aftermarket CPU cooler and PSU. Any good !925XE, !955x, !975x will be fine for that but you will need to move to DDR2 and PCE-E to use them. At least the !975X is supportive of the recent Core 2's (up tyo E6850 and Q6700, no Peryn to my knowlegde) if upgrading later.

What is your budget for upgrade? There're several options to move in steps if on a budget, so taking as much as possable to the new system.

EDIT: This is the Celeron 340 for Socket T LGA775, correct? Cause it also came as a socket 478. I dooght the Springdale chipset will do anything better then the P4 560 and they get warm, but is a nice CPU for the non 64bit singles and OC very well if you get a different mobo later. I do know the ASUS and Abit !865g/GV series got the Intel 64bit w/ EIST BIOS support so the P4 660 would be possable (3.6 and excelent overclocker but on good mobo and cooling)

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

With that new PC, you sure you don't want to play games. I see you have a PS2 in your sig, but the graphics on that thing have been bad compared to anything else(except maybe the gamecube) since like 2001 lol.

EDIT: Also where do you live and what's your budget.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Is the q-6600 much better then the e-6600?

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well for video editing and other programs meant to use ALL four cores. If a program can only utilize two cores then they will perform exactly the same.

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I am using the e-6600 now and want to upgrade to the q-6600. My only problem is i am using the asus p5w dh deluxe. It is a good board, but not as good as with is out there now. I still can't figure out how to get my memory off of 4:3 to 1:1.