1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

hey now dont bag the ps2 lol yeah ps3 is alot better even though I have a wii lol

I live in california usa lol

my budget it 2$ really its whatever though I not too too expensive though

and I have to 500GB sata drives and a case so yep please help abuzar1

ps lol I got the nintedo 64 lol those graphics kick ass jk

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I use both Q6600 and E6600 side by side and can say good about each for different reasons. Of corse I overclock so each one becomes better at different speeds and apps or games. At stock or same clock speeds, the quad is gonna feel snappier in just about everything, single tread or not, just because of the extra core for reserve. But add in multi treaded apps and the quad get ewven better.

I liike to OC mobos and RAM too so the duals do a better job at reaching higher FSB and clock. So naturally, for todays games, the OC'd dual has some potential.

Oh ya, I get to put the order in for my new Penryn mobile T9300 on my PM965 notebook to replace current T7700.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. Normal Intel boards like that can't be overclocked, and even if they could, the hardware in most emachines units is of too poor quality to overclock well anyway. We're active in your other thread, so if you want advice a new PC build, post more details in there.

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

I have a GA-945-GCMX S2 motherboard, yes yes i know it sucks but this is just a "backup" when GA-P35-DS3R is avaliable in SA i'll get it, anyhoo how do you OC the ram? i can't change my multiplier, i can clock it down but not up, oh the mobo only supports dual channel DDR2 667 and not DDR2 800, and only 2 ram slots, max ram support is 2GB and i have 2GB DDR2 800, so i used it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it you that has A-Data RAM? if it is, I wouldn't bother overclocking the RAM, you probably won't get very far. If you want to try though, there should be a FSB:RAM Ratio section in your BIOS. If your FSB is 1333 and your RAM is 667mhz, it should be at 2.0. You may have to change the FSB to overclock your RAM because I think the next option up is 2.4, which will overclock the memory all the way to 800mhz - it probably won't handle that.

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes i have the A-Data ram and it's DDR2 800, and i don't see FSB:RAM Ratio section in my BIOS?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, maybe the low end Gigabyte boards don't support it then. Either way it's not necessary to overclock your RAM to get a good CPU overclock. It's just an additional performance boost.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    What you are seeing that you can lower but not raise is the CPU/FSB Bus Ratio, not the memory. Hit Ctrl+F1 which will let you into the more advanced settings and enable you to save them, when you first enter the setup (only works on the main screen). Scroll down to the memory and put it on Manual and you should see the memory settings. I'm not very familiar with your MB but you should see the memory multipliers which should read 2.0, 2.40, 2.50 and so on.

BTW, the performance boost from overclocking the memory is much smaller than the performance boost you get overclocking the CPU. A lot depends on the CPUs multiplier as to what you can do with the memory speed. A CPU with a low multiplier makes getting to even stock memory speed difficult sometimes.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I know it's off the subjuct, but can somebody help with where to find replacemen or download for a Creative X-Fi Xtreme PCI-E Express mobile sound card CD?

Anybody here use it?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe I have that problem too, and Creative force you to buy replacement CDs, they don't post the drivers on their website. I lost my SB External CD a while back - only solution I can suggest is to buy another and make an ISO of it so you never lose it again!

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Wow that's total bullshit. Every other company has drivers on their website and they want people to BUY them.

12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

If they are not posted on the manufacturer's site...then you know...there has got to be a torrent out there...with them...
    If not...once you get them...put one up...

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Creative has usually at least provided he driver and a few apps or plug ins but rarely do you ever get the entire CD contents like volume control, EAX console adn other basic hardware suport on CD like Diagnostics, sound fonts bank (I dont need but some use them).

I had the sammwith my x-Fi Elite Pro for my workstation, a friend couldnt get hld of the apps on CD so I had to upload it to file share. Back then , there were only few x64 drivers that worked and not all hardware console stuff worked in Vista or x64.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's right - you get the basic driver functionality, but not the graphic equalizer and other audio programs.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creative labs must be the most BS company on the planet. I had all sorts of problems just getting drivers years ago for a Sound Blaster Live sound card. You would think that you owed them something the way they don't support you with the proper software. I can't even find the product listed on their website.

X-Fi Xtreme PCI-E Express mobile

They have a X-Fi Xtreme PCI-E listed but no mobile! What's up with that?

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, I decided against buying my 5.1 speakers from them, not just because of that, but also because my last set of creative speakers became faulty, that and the fact that I was offered my Logitechs at a competitive second hand price. Their support isn't great (non-existant if you don't have proof of purchase) but I have no doubt they'd be slightly more willing if you could prove you owned the product.

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The thing I don't understand is how they stay in business treating their customers like that! It's not a recent development either. They've been like that since the late 80s. I remember going crazy with their first CD-Rom, which had an interface for it on the sound card. When you do call them (if you get them at all) they treat you like you were a thief and were trying to get over on them. I mean it's their friggin product! I mean is there a big market for "Black Market" sound cards! LOL!!

Russ

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

It's basically the PCI-E version of the Audigy 2ZS Notebook card but in the new APU plus xpress card slot.

I had to up that for another friend 5yrs ago, so I do still have the CD to convert to ISO if interested. It was the 5.1 Dolby (no THX or DTS) with older style game port on I/O plate.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ck: You'll find they're the basic drivers. You want the full set of software you have to pay for it.