1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    My CD that came with mine got dropped on a deep shag carpet but unfortunately right into the path of someone walking by, so I would like to discuss an ISO. Thank you!

I've just installed SP3 for my XP-Pro and the current M$ drivers are a great improvement. first really great set of drivers for this card ever! No match for the Realtek 889 HD built in my MB for sure, but the best it's ever sounded, and much better in 5.1. I just decided to put it in and see what SP3 did with it and was very surprised and impressed with the sound of an old sound card, like the "Live" card is! The digital sound is light years better than before, with no more interference or difficulties positioning the sound. No more listening to it hunt for the proper sound location like it did with the old drivers. The sound projects so much more too.

As you well know I rarely cut M$ any slack, but I have to take my hat off to them for the magnificent set of SB Live drivers provided in SP3! They take a card that was always a terrific analog card that performed poorly using it's digital port and make it work the way it should/could have from the day it was new, some 5 years ago.

I like SP3! Boot up times and shutdown times are faster, and the whole computer seems just a little bit faster and snappier! No glitches of any kind so far and I installed it 3 days after it came out, Dec 17th! The difference between it and SP2 is noticeable!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you have proper 5.1 working over optical using the Realtek, Russ? If so, do you mind sharing how you did it?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Remember, we talked about this before! It has to do with the way my Sony processes the digital signal! My amp has a pre-amp input for both the Coax and Optical connections. That means that you get a nice flat even digital feed that remains constant with minimum distortion!

All control of what can be done with the signal, is taken over by the 5.1 PL-2 of the surround sound and the amp. You can't even change the bass or treble with the audio controls. Works very well! What's spooky is when you hear something behind you to the right, just as you go to look over your shoulder, they appear on the screen to your right, from the bottom up! Fantastic stuff! Much like being in a theater!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, I do have working 5.1, but with Analog connectors.
    As for digital, I know the speaker controls have to do it, but I can't figure out how. Whenever I use the optical connector my PC only thinks I'm running Stereo, and my Speakers default to Pro-Logic (i.e. upscaling a stereo signal). The only way I can get a 5.1 signal to appear on the control unit is if I use the S/PDIF channwel in VideoLAN. If I do that, dts appears on the display, but the sound is corrupted and garbled.
    What program do you use, and what audio settings did you set?

5. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Hi everyone - Sam, howdy. I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers? My sys spec is in my sig. I have a problem where I cannot get my machine to boot from a 'cold start' at 2.88ghz. I have the E6320 running 1.425v vcore with Corsair XMS2 800 in linked mode - 412mhz FSB, (1650 quad pumped) 825 on the RAM and 4-4-4-12 timings (which are the EPP timings.) Set it up last night at 2.88 after getting the pc6400 ram and it wouldn't boot today. Tried upping the vcore more - nothing. Dropped the cpu back down to 2.45ghz 1.406v, booted fine, gradually worked back up to 2.88 which it's running at now fine. Another strange thing is it now won't boot at 1600qfsb (400 fsb) but it will at 1650!? Has this got anything to do with needing to up some other voltages like the northbridge or 'cpu vtt' (and I have no idea about this one either - think it's asus specific name tho) I have them all set to 'auto' in the bios - apart from the vcore. Do I possibly need to burn it in with prime/orthos. I have run orthos for about 45mins to check stability but no longer.
    Any help would be most appreciated!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Asus P5N boards are notorious for "black holes" - areas where it will refuse to boot, yet there are higher speeds that will work, it's what peed me off about my old board. What I did to get my E4300 to 3Ghz:
    Memory Unlinked (remain at 800mhz)
    CPU vcore: Default, but with offset +100mV enabled
    RAM timings, voltage: Default
    FSB: 1334

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    The only thing I used was the Realtek 889A HD software that came with the MB. I set up the sound in windows "Sounds and audio devices" to 5.1 surround and that was it. The software for the audio manager doesn't tell you that if you set up their 5.1 with the audio manager, it disables it in WMP 11 and PowerDVD 7! It's there because the software installed it and I leave it set as installed. Other than defining the outputs when you plug something in, that's about it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

What I don't understand though is the fact it ran fine yesterday at 400mhz fsb 2.80ghz, it was only till I upped it to 2.88 that it won't boot again at 2.80 - weird!
    I'm sure I need the vcore where it is at 1.425, as it freezes otherwise so I think I'll leave that where it is. I'll give it a few hours of Orthos and see if that does anything tomorrow.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My board degraded on me over time as to how it would overclock. The chipset eventually failed completely for me, I just don't like Asus' P5N series.

Russ: Turns out my speakers don't actually support dts. D'oh! Thought I was missing something obvious. Time to get a sound card that can do it for me I suppose...

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

sammorris, RE: 5.1 audio to external digital decoder/reciever. There many areas of quality issues. If only using the external decoder for better (if using a quality stand-alone or mid to high end digital reciever) sound processing then any optical SPD/IF will do if system and all apps are set to utilizt NO internal sound processing. If you have an option to pass as descrete digital as RAW or PCM bitstream then do so as this is the best way for both low system resorse d better signal to reciever so it gets to do all the sound workk on its own. most set top digital decoders/recievers have optons to customize 2ch stereo to multi channel. Now some recievers may not offer processing for Lossless audio for DTS and MP3/waV or AVI so not that some files will need to be processed on the PC before it gets to the external.

I set all my media apps to send as pass through or if no option, at least digital as PCM RAW Bitstream and then the sound car also to digital passthrough to external device. if settings are mixed then some stuff will not get read correctly and some channels of multi ch will not get passed (such as in coaxile digital multi out where signal get devded, this is so to my knowlege w/ Audigy and X-Fi series).

MaccerM,
    minimizze the challange by not using the SLI EPP mode and set as manual and add some vdimm as needed. Also keep in a linked mode as close to 1:1 for now. I knw nVidia chips ofer unlinked but there is still bad or sloppy deviders that will not work and you will not get to see what it is trying to use. So link it and choose FSB yourself till you find the FSB holes yorself. I know a lot of the mid range ASUS nVidias to do 1600. As so they are known to already be Penryn capable. BIOS flash will make it easier, but overclockers can tweak it to work and we can help you along.

Good luch to all!

11. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

I have manually set the memory timings, I just set to the ones that are in the EPP profile. I'm not using SLi memory mode as that seems to want to control cpu clocks. I have it in linked mode, but as I say it no longer wants to boot at 1600 even though it did yesterday! Now, as I move up from 1600 in 10mhz increments I get further through the POST and by the time I hit 1640-1650 it will boot up fine. I was not planning on oc'ing the memory as well, but it seems to be running fine - 2hours40 on orthos blend test with no errors so I guess I'll see how it goes. Have ordered a fan for the n/b heatsink as that is getting a little warm - have bodged an old socket A hsf on there until the 40mm comes through.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I have a mid to high quality Sony Digital Audio Control Center that has both optical and coax connections. The HD sound from my MB shuts off all computer control of the sound except in specific applications so you can use the equalizer in WMP 11 as soon as you plug in either cable it automatically switches over to PCM, and I have the controls on the receiver set to PCM.

I have some awesome music I use for testing purposes that pretty much covers the entire dynamic range of the human ear, and it sounds magnificent! People keep trying to find my "hidden" speakers as they just don't believe that 5 small Sony 4" speakers and a 10" sub-woofer can make that kind of sound. I'm also careful to put the Sub-Woofer in the left front corner of the room as most tuned port Woofers usually work best if placed in a corner! I have no trouble shaking the floor and windows. 16' Bass notes have a tendency to do that. Believe me when I say you can feel it! Not a pleasant sensation on an empty stomach! LOL!! Sucker do have "Balls" though! LOL!! The difference between analog and HD Digital is like night and day! Exceedingly good for On-Board sound. It's about time Realtek gave us something good instead of just afterthought crap, and it's every bit as good as most stand alone sound cards! The best part is it was basically free, as it came with the MB LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nuck: I can use Pro-Logic with it fine to upscale it, but personally I prefer CMSS for that, but it is still Stereo. proper 5.1 is nice, and I can get it with analog, but since the hardware decoder in my speakers doesn't work, and there's no decoder in the integrated sound chip, Analog is the only way to get true 5.1.

Russ: I too know what a decent 10" sub and teeny satellites can do. You can fracture roofs and remove plaster if you turn my speaker set all the way up - I haven't tried this myself of course, but playing the film '300' at volume 15/50 was pretty intense, so I've no doubt they're capable. I've run them briefly at very high volume for some extreme bass - very impressed.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I'm assuming that you are using the on-board High definition sound! You are right, it's very impressive! I don't know how heavy your small speakers are but mine are heavy little suckers that weigh over 5 Lbs. apiece! What's really funny is that I would have never bought this Amp for myself, but it was a real steal, Literally! ROFLMAO

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ you thief you...

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    That's what happens when you borrow money from me and don't pay it back! Turned out to be quite a bargain for the $80 loaned and not paid back. To top it off, it was brand new, never used and still in the box! It's even registered at Sony, in my name! ROFLTIH!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Holy crap you did something about 80 dollars not paid back? Did you tell him you wanted something if he didn't pay you back or did you "acquire" it?

One time someone didn't pay my dad back so he took his bike and watch lol.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    It was my Landlords Nephew! He one day went fishing and turned up back in Canada 2 days later! His Aunt wanted to pay me the $80, but I told her that it was his responsibility not hers, and that was I taking the amp instead! So I guess I "Acquired" it!

I wasn't particularly worried about retaliation, as I had already had a run in with him once before and when he threatened me Physically, I "accidentally" knocked him flat, out cold on my bed, with a nicely timed Overhand Right! He shouldn't have put his hands on me, as he learned the hard way! ROFLMAO!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

long time no read guys, had some trouble with my isp, they deceied to cut me off when they thought i stopped paying. turns out it was their cockup as i know i was paying, well some body was taking the money :D
    it was down to me paying telewest and virgin checking ntl records and some other daft thing, anyway i get double speed net, free phone calls and all the cable tv channles for their basic price of £30 a mounth for the next year so not too bad in the end :D

used the time to fiddle with my system a bit tho but i just cant get it to stay stable @3.6ghz. new scores are in my sig so let me know what you think :)

@macca
    teh fsb black holes on the nf6xx mobos are a bitch and caused me some headaches, but dont be afraid to give that chip some more juice if it gets stuck. tbh, sounds to me likes its your nb that needs more v now tho.
    have a read thru the asus forums and see what bios people have had the best oc from and use that if you can as this can make the world of difference.
    sounds like your on the right track tho, gl with it.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    First! Welcome back, and Happy belated Holidays to you and yours!
    As far as 3.6 for the E4300, I wouldn't count on it! I'll bet it won't fold at 3.5GHz! The most I ever got out of mine was 3.384GHz. Any attempt to go higher and the CPU cores started going crazy! It would pass all the tests at 3.384GHz, but I had to drop it to 3.271 for it to complete the work units for folding!

Remember all the rubbish from Tom's Hardware with the E4300 in a P5N-E MB. They got theirs to boot at 4.0GHz and claimed reliability at 3.6. Next time I'll remember to tell Intel that I want a chip like the ones they give to places like Tom's! LOL!! Same thing with that P.O.S. P5N-E motherboard! Of course it's much easier when you have all the components spread out on a table in a nice air conditioned room and don't have to worry about case ventilation! Not very real world, but it gives very good but also, very false results!

Best Regards,
    Russ