1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yeh i agree at the moment the 939 socket is the best for future proof but no doubt by xmas the boffins at amd will have come up with something superior :eek:)worth checking if the mobo is dual core ready too. the forums on www.overclockers.co.uk are quite sorted on this subject, takes a bit of digging about but lots of nice info in there :eek:P~

i would avoid the msi motherboards if you want to oc directly from the bios as for some reason they have problems posting after a mild overclock and then you need to use clockgen in windows to knock it up further, this may be sorted in a later bios update though. but yeh go for a 3200 venice is the best bet at the mo, just for the x 10 multiplier over the x9 on the 3000 venice.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

HELP

Ok, so I was fidling with my pc earlier, clocking the graphics card in windows and I put the speeds up high...ok, that was fine, or seemed to be at the time. I have since restarted my pc and now it wont boot beyond the bios counting screen...I have full image of all this, and I can't even get into bios to change any settings. I tried reverting the bios to an older version via the clearcmos jumper but that doesnt seemt to have had any effect.

Does any one have a clue what I have done? As far as I can see the GPU clocking isn't what is causing this, it just happens to have happend when I did it.

:'(

All I have is a black screen with that little command promt cursor thing flashing, and no I can't tpye anyting.

HEEEEELLLPPP??!!!

(I'm just glad I have this laptop to help me out in times of need)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  3. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

No wait guys, it's ok, it's only a broken HDD, nothing to worry about, I've only lost 60gb of work.

4. skidme

skidme Guest

Wow. You have my condolences about the HD I know what its like to lose a lot of valuable info

5. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well it shouldn't be too big a problem, I have most of the info backed up on dvd. It was my spare data drive, I'm just glad really that it was that one, and not one of my main HDDs. I have 3. 1 which is split into 2, has windows on one segment and some data on the other, and another which is a 200gb drive will all my programs and recent data on it. and then my 3rd drive which was my drive that held all of my video footage, well some of it. 60gb aint much space for video, only a few hours.

6. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

7. skidme

skidme Guest

Try to find a balance between the highest rated site and the cheapest price. This way if you ever need customer support, you will receive it.

8. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

thats a good idea :) [EDIT] check out my other post with pc specs, i updated it :)

Heres one, what do you reccon is it good? What mobo would work good with this?

http://www.digispan.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=4386

Heres a review i found on this site:

Digispan is a computer, component and I.T electronic e-tailer, dedicated to providing the best value and online purchasing experience for all computing and I.T needs. Whether it is a corporate professional, government agency, small business, student or home user, Digispan guarantees that all customers will value their premier quality services. Digispan.com.au strives to make itself the ultimate online store for computer components with a wide selection and best prices. With Australia Wide Delivery at low rates consider using Digispan today for
    all your Technology requirements.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2005
  9. skidme

skidme Guest

OK That is a good processor. My friend has one and he has no problems with it, so I recommend it. Now about the motherboard, I need some info: Are you planning on usin SLI; Are you going to use a PCIe GFX Card or AGP? As you're not planning on Overclocking(or have you changed your mind) I would recommend maybe an Asus, or MSI mobo.

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

11. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks. Yeah i wont be overclocking, not sure what would be best mobo to get, is SLI better to get? I will probably get asus thats whats in there now.

12. ppiper

ppiper Member

13. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Yeah, that would be good... but i live in Australia :(

14. skidme

skidme Guest

Well if you're planning on using AGP, theres no way you can use SLI. They are two different interfaces. So first what kind of video card are you planning to get? AGP or PCI Express?

15. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

If he wants to splash a little extra cash he can get an AGP + PCIE board covering for whichever card he wants to get, also meaning that when Nvidia have killed AGP then he still has PCIE to rely on when he gets a new card. If you don't belive me about dual ones, look at this site www.overclockers.co.uk they sell them.

16. skidme

skidme Guest

Wow I wish I hab known those existed...I was looking for one a while ago but now it's too late. I think it may be a good idea for him to get a combo board only if he already has an high quality AGP card, otherwise its pointless...

17. InvGIR

InvGIR Member

Well the setup he is currently running is below low :p It is a fair few years old 733mhz CPU (or something small like that). So I think it doesn't hugely matter what one he runs realy :p

18. skidme

skidme Guest

Well then yes it may be a good idea to buy one of those Mobos, for now and for the future...

19. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

Anyone got any ideasas how to overclock in Sli mode? I've got 2 7800's and I could overclock it when I had one to 498 mhz but now I can't change it past the default speed of 430. Even if I move it to 431mhs and press the test button it keeps saying that the frequency test failed, lower the frequency and try again? I've also tried using Rivatuner with the same results. I'm using 77.76 drivers if that helps.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hell yes!
    Cheers for telling me they existed, I use Overclockersfor some of my stuff.

My next board has got to be one of those, assuming they're still about at that point...