1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. prutsos

prutsos Regular member

its from everex I got it at walmart

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The 200 dollar one? lol forget about overclocking that! They use the cheapest parts they can. Those parts will fail if you try to overclock them not to mention that overclocked is locked in the BIOS. It's from walmart so it shouldn't be hard to return it. Go ahead and do that, then buy this computer. After rebates it comes out to 200 and is miles better.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ame=Computers+&+Electronics&keyword=freespire

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When the HD3850 came out, there was only the 256MB version. If they don't say which size it is, it's because there only was one size back then, 256MB. If they don't specifically say otherwise, any HD3850 test will be of the 256MB version, and that's an end of it.
    Marsey: £230? Ouch. For a card that's barely faster than one for half that price, you got jacked.

Theone: I already apologised for the general bad nature of that post if you look, hard day, alright>
    As far as 12C of chipset temperature, where did you get that from? I've never even told you what temp my chipset runs at, as none of the programs I've got seem able to tell me!

Prutsos: Sorry mate, but I think overclocking that is out of the question.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

show me a £115 g card that will score near 14k in 3dmark 06 or run crysis with 60+ fps(26 in dx10 all maxxed), cod4 maxxed out with x8 x8 at 91fps or ut3 at 120+ fps and i will buy 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

benched on;
    X6800 (2.93 GHz)
    2 GB DDR2-800
    ABI IN9-32X
    Western Digital Raptor 74

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    ck5134 said:
    It wasn't you Sam, it was ck5134's computer that did that! I just thought it was funny and passed the joke along! You have to admit that the GPU fan dropping the MB temp 12C doesn't show the case fans in the best light! LOL!!

Everest 4.20 should give you all the information as it was designed with the new Intel chipsets in mind. I know it works on mine and a few others around here. I have the Corporate Edition, which is non graphical, without all the little icons in the taskbar, and I can live without that anyway! You can download a home version with the taskbar icons, but it only shows the MB and 1 core and doesn't show the GPU, HD or all the voltages. I like this a lot. This was Friday after I hooked up the side fan to the MB and let the bios control it's speed. It's weird as the Manual says that only the CPU fan is controlled by the MB, but then again I have Rev. 2.0 and the Manual is for Rev. 1.0. Whatever, it seems to do a better job of cooling.
    http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3650/4fanxh2.jpg

Russ

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you any idea how fast ATi graphics fans run at maximum speed?
    I appreciate the argument, but it's complete BS.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It seems when you turn up the resolution the 3870 begins to outpace the 8800GT.

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

btu the second you turn AA on, there go the ATI cards. thats the only problem they have had this generation. the AA hit.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They take a performance hit, but it's worth pointing out that the 3800s are the only cards that can render AA in DX10.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

thats true, but there arnt any good dx10 games that are properly playable anyways.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not true, almost all DX10 games are playable to some degree with a decent graphics card. It's only Crysis that runs like death.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

bioshock take a bit hit to FPS with dx10 and dont get me started on CoH

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

DX10 seems useless right now. I would just enable some of it's effects in DX9 and be done with it. Any of you guys have pics of the same settings on DX10 and DX9?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, they run far slower than DX9, but they do run. As long as you use a sensible resolution, you can play most recent games in it (Why though is beyond me, at least until AA).

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

bs??? prove me wrong sam. a 3870 512 needs a 3.8ghz quad to beat my score or a volt mod....hmmm....maxspeed means nothing numbers do.

do you game without aa? crysisplays fine for me in dx9 and i have only twice had small patches of slow down, once when the mountain falls apart and during a tank battle with a few tanks and rpg guys and i think this is more due to my cpu not the gpu. quad next but that will be easter ish, i think. will need a new mobo then tho as this one cant take them above 3.2ghz as its 3 phase power isnt quite enough for quads.

@russ
    the fan on the card cooled the system by 12c because it kept the gpu cooler which stopped it heating the mobo via the pci e slot not the air temps.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Marsey: Do you actually realise what I was saying BS to? it was about Russ' argument about the fans on the NZXT Hush, not the power of the card at all. You're so protective of your purchase that you're responding to arguments that don't exist. You don't need to be so paranoid about us proving anything, neither card is bad, you just picked the one I don't recommend.
    As far as Crysis goes, a) I don't play it because it doesn't run well enough to look at all good, b) I don't play it because I don't think it's as good as it's made up to be, and c) I don't play it with AA because it doesn't seem to work properly in Crysis, and I'm not surprised. I very rarely don't use AA as I think it's a fundamental graphics feature. As far as the game goes, none of the lag in Crysis has anything to do with the CPU. Trying the same patch of game at 2.4Ghz and 3.6Ghz on the same CPU yielded the same results (1680x1050 on all high as well, not exactly low settings). Beyond a reasomable dual core, Crysis is almost entirely GPu dependent.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

As long as this is still on graphics topic, can you gaming fans help pick out a good flat pannel monitor to look good with high res video and gaming. I'm helping a friend buikd his and he doesnt think a flat pannel LCD can out perform his old flat tube 21" It does look nice though as I had , or have the same model and it is great as a refresh of 120Hrz, but my LCD can only do 85HRz.

How big an impact does the HRz refresh play into graphics and renduring looks and quality.

I dont have the best eyes anymore, but I found it hard to see the gaming differesnt in dual SLI on flat pannel LCD over a single fast GPU on cathode tube of same size. What monitor res does a good SLI need to really be noticed?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I posted:
    I try to be fair in my judgments, so I asked my room mate, who could maybe install a new video card, "If you put a new video card in your machine and discovered that when you ran it's fan at 100%, your motherboard temperature went down 12C, what would you think"? His answer was, "I would have to look into improving my case ventilation"! Here's a guy that knows absolutely nothing about the inner workings of a computer! He can see that, so why is it a guy with your experience can't see and accept that?

That's 12C of heat inside the case being drawn through an already warm video card! In my eyes I don't care how much air a video card moves, if it's lowering the MB temp 12C, then the case cooling is inadequate! Solution! Get case fans that move more air! Now why is that such a difficult concept for you to understand? Especially since you yourself had said the the fans in that particular case weren't that great in a post only a few weeks ago.

I'm glad that you are happy with your silent PC. I really am, but every time someone mentions a fan that's not to your liking, and not that there's anything particularly wrong with it except it's too loud for your ears, so it's no good! You are also very inconsistent when it comes to fans!
    Yet you recommended a Nexus at 17.6 dBA that only moves 20.2 cfm, and the Hiper at 19 dBA that moves 21.24 cfm while neglecting to note that at 800 rpm the Silverstone moves a good deal more air at that speed. I haven't tested the airflow at 800 rpm, but it's considerably better than either the Nexus or the Hiper you posted. besides, at 21.8 dBA, it's well below the ambient noise level to begin with, so it's difficult at best to even hear most of the time! Again, I stress that it's not silent, but it is quiet. That's the point for most of us. We want quiet cooling, but no one here but you seems concerned about not having a silent computer. People tell you that all the time, but you just don't listen. It's their needs and desires that matter, not yours! You take it all way to personal almost to the point of obsession.

You've managed to drive off a couple of really good, knowledgeable people from AD over the last couple of years with all this nonsense and your attitude, and now Mort81 has left us for good. Wait up Mort, I'm right behind you because this is my final post here on AD. I won't be back! It's just no fun anymore when you spend half your time defending a position you took on something very simple. It shouldn't have be that way, but I can't control how things go. I'm just tired of arguing all the time about things that just aren't that important, at least not to the forum in general. Do I make mistakes in my posts? Yes I do, but I'm man enough to post a retraction and apologize on the thread when I do!

I'll miss a lot of the folks here, but I just have to move on, as I'm not accomplishing anything when I spend a lot of my time defending my position on something that should be accepted as an opinion, but instead gets treated like I committed a crime! I had hoped that by having the 5 Silverstones tested that it would put an end to all this nonsense with the fans! Yes, I wanted to show up the SPRC for exactly what they are, a bunch of fanatics who are far more concerned with where their money comes from than the truth! I certainly wasn't trying to make you look bad, but only to try and get you see the light by providing un-biased facts. but I can see now that there will never be a last word until I finally leave! I just can't keep doing this! So, on that note...........

Goodbye All,
    Russ

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

SLI really starst showing upwards of 24"

and the best LCD monitors would be dell ultra sharp, or the samsung pebbles.

Russ dont go. your a knowledgeable guy, and it'll be a bit hit to the forums. forget the fight, and start afresh. goes for you to sam.

if he leaves, thats the second one you've made redundant

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

See Official building thread.

I'll be back in a few days.
    Seems I've started a mass exodus. I know where the fingers are pointed.