1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Even the nice aftermarket coolers, like yours, keep the hot air INSIDE the case. I would really like to avoid that.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah but do they? Most gaming cases these days have a side fan, and if you turn that to blowing out rather than blowing in, you effectively isolate the GPU's heat from any other of the PC's components. As long as your case has a vent of some kind in addition to intake fan(s) you'll be fine - I have two unused 80mm fan slots!

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My case doesn't unless I buy the side panel with the 25CM fan and that would cost me 45 bucks.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well at the rate you sell your PCs, you won't have to do without one for long!
    I paid £85 for my midi tower NZXT Lexa. Today's money puts that at $167. The Armor with 25cm fan, without the rebate is only $170. You think full towers are expensive? Not in the US they're not!

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah well I only paid 70 for my case so if I buy one now for 170 it seems expensive.

EDIT: I also replaced the validate overclock in my sig, not it shows the 3.6 E6750 not the 3.5 E6400!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the way i see it the stock cooler does a good job, going to a passive cooler with a side case fan would generate as much noise, mind you saying that mine isnt noisey. Thats the good thing about building / ocing comps its down to personal preference =o)

No one is right or wrong(unless they keep blowing up rigs lol) but each to their own ect, learn by others experience / mistakes and save a few quid so you dont have to buy top of the range to still get good performance.

must admit ive got an artic freezer 64 on my 5000 black edition, and it hasnt reached 45ºc even when gaming running at 3.2ghz :) seems to work better for this than it did the older amd cpu's. mind you its only pulling around 75watts instead of 65watts as its at stock vcore. only gripe with the processor is the core temps arent reported right, it says core 1 = 8ºc core 2 = 9ºc and cpu = 26ºc at the moment, core temp reports the same silly figures, ah well lol

lol edited cos i got the processor speed back to front hardly an overclock if it was 2.3ghz lol

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Kinda off topic, but did you guys notice they make Building your own Pc a different forum now?

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

9. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

To astral2k5,

I have the 512mb version the one you posted is the 256mb version

But yes its basically the same cooler and card.

Im a fan "no pun intended" of the thermaltake armor. As i see it i would put one fan at the bottom skip 2 slots and put the other fan so that its direction is inline with the cpu cooler " thermalright 120 extreme" Since i would really only need one bay for the dvd burner.So with 2 120mm fans for intake and mesh bays and 4 exhaust fans 1 120mm 2 90mm and 1 the PSU as it also exhaust's hot air. That imo is a good example of positive flow. With decent heatsinks on all other
    components should prove enough for your endeavors. Would you agree?or disagree?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

in rivatuna you need to click on the little triangle in the top box of the section called driver settings, this will bring up 5 icons. you need to click the one on the left to bring up another window that allows you to oc your card on the first tab or set your fan speed on the second and somthing else on the third that i cant recall atm.

the latest version of it supports the 88gt fully but you need to edit a .cfg file to add support for the 88gts.

each type of chipset offers different pros and cons. intels favour the cpu intensive tasks, nvidia have more emphasis on gaming and tend to give better fps and ati/amd tend to give better memory bandwidth. people are going with a x38 and a 88gtx due to them being the leading tech in each componant. x38 clocks like a mofo and the gtx is still the best card money can buy (ultras are just overclocked gtx's so no) if they had much sense they may swap it foe a 88gts 512 as it also has pcie2 but hey ive not really seen any conclusive proof that it shows any real gains over pcie1 yet so... if they do tho imsure it will be a feature i look for in my next mobo.

@chops
    2 in 4 out will most likly be negative preasure as im sure the 2 90mm and the psu are pushing more air than the second 120mm does.

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Well, I finally also converted/upgraded to the mobile nVidia GO 8800m-GT 512 and it seams nice as is stock for mobile but then I upgraded from the 6 month old 8600M-GT 512. I hear lot argue that the 256 version was better but I only had 1 256 version to compare and it was my 1 1/2 yo GeForce GO 7900M GT (on older mobile 945GM chipset) I'm still on PM965 (Santa Rosa) for now.

So as long as we are stuck on nVidia tread, what do you guys have to say about the mobile GO version for notebooks as for overclocking?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ck: For passive CPU cooling that's potentially true, but my experience with Thermalright has been a bit different. Of course, the heatsinks are far from cheap, and the Ultra 120 barely fits in many people's cases, but using a side case fan exhausting as an effective graphics fan, I'm using case fans that produce a mere 19dB to replace the Freezer 7 Pro (which could only keep up at load at at least 25dB) and the X1900XT stock cooler which was at least 35dB at load, probably a great deal more. Ugh, what a racket that made!

As for the duorb - a pair of 80mms at 2500rpm. Well, it's certainly not going to be quiet. Given the lower noise of recent graphics coolers (the G92 8800GTS and the HD3800s specifically), there's a risk that'd be even louder than the stock coolers.
    Abuzar: Ah, so that's where all the other stickied threads went!
    Ck: Interesting WC setup. I must admit, setups like these make a lot of sense if you don't want to go the whole hog with watercooling. If that system is based on one that can cool a 500W array of 2900s, the mere 270W of 3870s should mean it pulls some pretty good temps too.
    Chop: One way of sorting the airflow arrangement would be to use a fan speed controller to equalise the airflow in and out of the case. I don't think the Armor has hefty vents, so having drastically different airflow coming in and going out could mean you're not making the most of the Armor's cooling potential.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think you should tell us how a notebook does for ocing :p

i would be interesting to know, can you get desktop mobos for that chip?

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

NuckNFuts, what do you mean when you say the 256MB version better?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A lot of midrange GPUs are offered in both 256MB DDR3 and 512MB DDR2 forms. Often, the 256MB version outperforms the 512MB due to better memory bandwidth. By the time 256MB gets used up, the core usually can't keep up anyway!

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh I thought he said the 256MB 8800GT was better. I was about to say, the 256MB is nowhere near the 512MB version of the 8800GT.

Anyone know the pricing of the 3870X2? I don't plan on getting a CF board soon so that will be nice.

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I ended up with the 512mb version of the Geforce GO 8800M-GT and it seams finne for my mobile video and light gaming needs. Since I do more Presentation and graphice desighn and DVD/HD/BD, I may look to the new ATI offerings for mobile. Who knows the better of the ATI mobility line up?

However, on the PM965 (Santa Rosa), Intel's Turbo memory can be added to give an additional 256RAM to graphics or system cache. I use for cache since it helps resume from S4 by a good margin and helps cold boots and resume from S3 is a snap, reconnects to my network and everything up and running in seconds.

As for an adapter for the Tseries CPU, I dont have one and no sure if it is available yet from even ASUS. If So, I can imagine they'd OC great on a desktop board. I did get to play with an M adapter for my older Pentium M 770 (2.13/2mb/533) and it was excellent on my P4C800-E with low volsts/heat and overall great performance. With good desktop cooling, 3GHz was not so hard, but on my ASUS mobile, with limited space, 2.8+ was about it an dis looking so for even my current T7700. I have an old T7200 pull for my last upgrade and it can reach bout the same.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: I'm also interested, pretty much for the same reason.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

$449

20. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

For those interested in the new mobile overclocking scene, ASUS MSI, and Sager, amung others offer a mobile LGA775 socketed notebook barebone and can utilize the mobilr rXtreme and even the E6750 with cool performance. The are not so much meant for good battery life so foget about gaming out on the lawn far from A/C power. You can also use the new item from ASUS I believe it will let notebook users attach a full sized PCI-E GPU card to the PCI-E slot and GPU chip socket. Of corse, you gotta' power tis seperately. I think it's the ASUS XG system or likewise.

Who's using SLI on their notebook with these 8800M-GT's?