1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Well, first ill get the mobo and CPU then ill look into getting another video card. What AGP + PCIE board would go with the CPU you said? ASUS is in there now and havent had any troubles with it, but what would be best is what i will get :)

http://www.digispan.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=4386

2. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ok at overclockers Australia one guy said:

since you only have $500, sell that gear first.

Assuming you get $150 out of it, that leaves you $650.

From that you can get something like this:

Gigabyte K8NS pro - $110
    Sempron 3000+ 754 - $115
    6600gt agp msi 128mb - $235
    120gb HDD Seagate - $109

That totals $560, giving you $90 for a case and pwoer supply.

i dont think ive missed anything above.

btw, prices are from MSY, http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

edit: damn i forgot memory. you can get 512mb generic from MSY for $65.

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

ok i think the basic components for a future proof pc may be a little over your current budget, to be realy future proof you need to make sure your system will accept future processor revisions/ graphics cards.

your safest bet would be to try and summon up say $800
    from which you should be able to get:-

socket 939 board - pci-e
    amd 64 3200
    nvidia 6600gt
    1 gig pc 3200
    atx 2.0 psu

as you are not actualy going to overclock have a look at foxconn motherboards, all the reviews i have read have been very favourable, and they are suited to a lower budget systems.

having looked at the link that alien 13 posted http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

looking through i found the leadtek nf4k8mc-rs @ $99
    amd athlon 64 3200 @ $259
    1 gig of kingston ddr 400 @ $160

which totals your total budget, but with the sale of your old pc and a little saving you could get the :-
    128 x'v' 6600gt @ 225
    which just means finding the atx 2.0 psu @ 70 - 100

so i do feel that you need to save at least another $200 with the sale of your old comp, to make something that will handle future advances in tech.

as i dont personaly know about the reputation of australian retailers i would always try and by a brand which covers you with a warranty as well as anything the shop offers. that way if in the worst case senario you have another way for getting your parts replaced. remember if your not planning of overclocking you wont be voiding your warranties

oops i just realised you will need a case too if you sell your old comp lol and cdrom/dvdr/harddrives ect so i recon try to get to about $900 savings and sell your old pc and you should be able to get a reasonably future proof gamer

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

5. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Whoa. i would like to do that but, i dunno if my dad does, he really only wanted the mobo and cpu upgrade..... i dunno what to do?

6. skidme

skidme Guest

nvmd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2005
  7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

might be worth looking at the new amd sempron 3400 and a 754 mobo, the new sempron 3400 is 64 bit so a good budget chip, unfortunatley the 754 mobo will limit you for future upgrades, but hey have a look.
    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=706

if your current graphics cards fast enough maybe your way forward

8. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ok will have to see what my dad thinks :)

9. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

[bold]just a thought , isnt this thread supposed to be about overclocking =o)[/bold]
    alien 13 try phoning around say 20 shops ask all of their advice explaining your budget and what you want to acheive.

this will arm you best for making the decision.

11. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Yeah thats a good idea, or email? And yeah sorry for high jacking the thread :(

12. ppiper

ppiper Member

Slapped in my X2 4400 dual core in my neo2 yesterday and this thing loves it. Got it up to 270x10 and it screams. Got it up to 290x9 also but ill stick with 260ish on the 10 multi. Love this chip if u guys are upgrading the X2 3800 is only about 400 bucks and you wont be dissapointed these things smoke a p4 in multitasking. I can encode/decode a movie and load about a 1000 songs in media player and do
    ANYTHING else at the same time without a hiccup. Link at 1:1
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=31818

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Amongst all your dual-core double threaded 64-bit goodness, spare a thought for those who aren't so lucky...

And anyway how far do you think I can overclock my CPU?
    Current temperatures (Idle in normal room temp)

Mobo: 29ºC (84ºF)
    CPU: 54.5ºC (128ºF)
    Hard disks: 29/34ºC (84/93ºF)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  14. skidme

skidme Guest

Wow at 54.5 C you're already running pretty hot. You're gonna need some cooling before you can OC...

15. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

they i agree that your running hot there, guessing by your temps your in a room around 30-35º,have you given your system a blast through with some compressed air(if your cpu heatsink is clogged)
    and if not get yourself a 'ThermalRight SI-97' and a nice quiet fan, the specs are here if you want a look - http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_si97.htm
    also worth getting some artice silver 5 between the hsink and processor.

and for greater overclocking performance i would recommend moving away from your pc2700 memory up some nice geil PC4000 Ultra Platinum, its not too expensive but you will gain more speed because you wont need to use restrictive memory dividers as its rated at 500Mhz

are you currently running at totaly stock speeds?

im not sure how far you can push the via chipset onboard with the over clock. my older mobo with the via chipset hardly ever had problems and i found it quite easy to clock. just dont make too big leaps in the fsb, and monitor those temps, also try getting some round ide cables if you havent already to improve the airflow through your case.

and if you want good advice on it try www.overclockers.co.uk fab shop next day delivery and great after sales.

gl with this keep us posted, also what is your budget for this so we can advise on upgrades easier :)

16. romba

romba Member

I want to toy around with my old PC

its a 1.2 ghz Celeron with 384 mb RAM
    How do I unluck it so it lets me overclock?

17. merlin112

merlin112 Member

For the round IDE cable thing in ck5134's post, I have had good luck just folding the normal IDE cable every five wires and tie wrapping. It's cheaper too.

18. skidme

skidme Guest

Hey Guys,

I've got a question about my OC'ed Proc(in sig).I got it up to 2616MHz at 1.47 Vcore. At no load it runs at 40*C. At full load it goes up to 52*C. I'm just wondering, does this seem like a safe OverClock? Thx for your advice.

19. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

skidme, it is rather high in the temp department, but if your system is 100% stable the overclock should be ok, suprised it produces that much heat at 1.47v, are you still on a stock cooler?

ive overclocked my 3000 venice up to 288x9 - 2592 and used it like it for a week, my temp maxed out at 42º

ive dropped it back down to 275x9 - 2475 as the benchmarks were getting higher scores do to less in the way of memory dividers.

but my processor hasnt gone over 42º even running prime95, whats the ambient temp around your comp?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  20. skidme

skidme Guest

Yea the temp outside my case is very hot. Around 80*F I'd say. I have an aftermarket cooler-Thermaltake AMD K8 Venus. Right now I'm running Prime 95 torture test and the temp is steady ar 53*C. Other than the temps, it's a very stable clock. I got a 13 FPS increase in Counterstrike: Source, which IMO is pretty good...