1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Indeed it does :) i have just realised i installed it of the sapphire installation disc that installs all the codecs ect, then rather than updating ccc just update the driver version and you wont lose any functionality.

2. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

REMOVED LINK AS SOFTWARE IS ON 3850/3870 Sapphire install disc

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Some of us have factory overclocked MSI cards. AHEM. MSI.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In the UK, MSI cards are about £20 more than all the other brands, so thanks but no thanks!
    As far as your card goes, any manufacturer should include this feature with the version of catalyst they supply.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Re-adjust your thinking cap! LOL!! Get the CNB-R1 instead. It comes with a bracket for a 40mm fan. I'm going to get one of these fans for it! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129036&Tpk=40mm+fan

2500 RPM and 6.5 CFM. It has to be quieter than the Silenx I have now at 4500 RPM (advertised at 3000 RPM)! More of Silenx's BS! Can you say 14dBA, my a$$! They don't even have a warranty! LOL!! Mine's given up the ghost after only 6 months! P.O.S.!

As far as the SLF-1 goes, it uses a very strange fan! 35mm! Particularly since no one seems to sell a fan that size! LOL!! I e-mailed them and this is what they sent me:

Slf-1 comes with a 35mm x 35mm x 0.6 fan
    Manufacturer: Adda
    Size: 35x35x6 mm
    Part #: AD3512MB-K73S
    Volts: 12v DC
    Current: 0.06 amp
    Power: 0.72 watt
    RPM: 8000
    CFM: 4.7
    Noise: 28 dB(A)

Also a 40mm x 40mm fan will fit the included bracket on the R1
    Best regards,
    David

I think the CNB-R1 would work a lot better.

ck5134,
    I had one of those coolers you linked to! It didn't work as good as just mounting a 40mm 6 CFM fan to my stock heatsink! No way to mount a fan either! I also tried an Evercool of the same design! Same problem! LOL!! Part of the problem on some motherboards is how close the Northbridge and CPU are. You get heat migration from one chip to the other through the physical connections between the two of them! That's why you see some motherboards with heat sinks on the back side of the motherboard!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

EIGHT THOUSAND RPM?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Hey, it's only 35mm! LOL!! Should just about whistle at that speed! LOL!! I'd like to see the life expectancy in hours for that one! ROFLMAO!! I would make a couple of small brackets for that one and use a 40mm instead! Especially since I can't find anyone that sells a 35mm fan!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

lol yeh 8000rpm, mainly buying it for the copper, going to use a zalman resistor cable to take it to 7v, if at 7v its too slow i have a big bag off resistors and ill find the right one for 9 v lol, if that fails ill use an Antec Spot Cool on it.will be better than gigabytes cooler 60ºc in games.

encoding flys on the 3870, just converted eddie murphys delierious in 2:48 seconds to high quality mpeg2 :)

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    What good is a fan you can't find a replacement for? If you are getting 60C in games, you need to mount a 40mm fan to the Northbridge heatsink. Even when running Orthos for hours, I never get over 43C for a MB temp and don't go over 55C for the CPU!
    For what it's worth I use Win AVI. It does a great job and is very fast. I've also used DVD Santa! If I want to convert from DVD to Avi (video CD), I use Gordian Knot!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

my cpu hasnt gone over 45ºc, its just the rubbish heatsink that gigabyte had used, when i removed it the thermal paste had a crack running right through it, lol used artic silver to replace that and temps have dropped :) since then its remained under 50ºc, the thing is the 3870's right bang up against the cooler, so trapping the heat in a little, i think ill still end up with a spot cooler aimed at it and no tiny little wizzy fan :)

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

^^^^^ i love fanbois, so easily exicted.

another plus for you, nvidia have pushed back the launch of the 98gx2 for a few weeks too :D me thinks they want to tweak their drivers...mmmm???

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    I knew you could buy them, but not from any computer company! The problem with fans like this is that they are so small that they only make their rated airflow at very high RPMs! I come across a lot of these fans in my work and they are all but worthless at reduced speed. Think of it like a car engine that has a very narrow powerband. It gives you everything within it's powerband but next to nothing everywhere else! Something like the Honda S2000! You got to drive it like you just stole it or it won't get out of it's own way! LOL!!

The problem with lowering the voltage to 7 or 9v, is that it won't move enough air to blow out a match (literally)! LOL!! Very typical for fans of that design. That and given that it's only 6mm thick so it lacks blade surface area so when you drop the RPMs, even a small amount it just doesn't move enough air That's why I chose the Antec! 2200 RPM and 6.5 CFM! Should scale the CFM nicely at lower speeds! The 20mm thickness gives a huge advantage to the Antec as there's 3.3 times more blade surface to move the air! About 1500 RPM should do nicely and the noise level should drop considerably! If you have a spare speed controller for a Zalman 9500 like I do, it should work just fine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

not a fanboi, just prefer the tech if I had used more intels in the past i would have moved to intel, thing is i did a budget build and keep finding little bonuses :) i kept it to a budget as i wanted to see what new tech came out later in the year and chose the best then as prices would have either settled or started getting lower due to a tech war.

still might be with intel by the end of the year but more than happy with ati on the graphics front, i was always with nvidia for gfx cards before but this offers a lot more, nvidia's new drivers are horrible to what they used to be too.

At the moment budget keeps me with amd, not too worried about major oc's as this does everything i require it to, and if necessary will last a year or so before getting passed to my daughter.

15. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

not room for a wide fan unfortunatley as it is slightly overlapped by the 3870's cooler, ah well it will do until something better comes along :) the spot cool with the copper sink should work fine :)have loads of zalman fanmates so might go that route i suppose its an instant drop to 11v for a start :)

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Marsey, then again I would call YOU a nvidia fanboy. You certainly prefer them much more over ATI.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    For me width is not a problem. I have just enough room for the fan to clear the CPU Cooler! The problem with the heatpipe ones is they just don't work as well as the stock heatsink with a fan! The CNB-R1 is just a hair under 50mm high with the fan installed. I removed the NB heatsink, cleaned it and the chip thoroughly and re-installed it with AS5 and mounted the fan to the heatsink. That dropped it from 47C idle to 38-40C. It never gets above 42-43C even while running hours of Orthos! The big pain seems to be that the springs that hold down the very oversized heatsink are not strong enough! I've replaced mine with stronger springs! Otherwise it's very easy to accidentally break loose the heatsink, if you are not careful! Look into it and if you can get it to fit, it should be a good deal!
    http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_r1.htm

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I only expect to use this mobo for about 5 months, might make the copper heatsink into a grinder for bud :eek:)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    Nah! The good sticky stuff is hell to get off of the pins! LOL!!

Now where is billybob?

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

I got a 40mm Akasa cool blue fan for my chipset off Ebay. Rated at 5000rpm and 6.27cfm. Speedfan reports it at 5600rpm but it does it's job. Mb temp never goes above 43c and that's with 1.55v going through it at 427mhz fsb. I went for the 20mm depth as opposed to the 10mm you can get as the deeper blades should move a bit more air with the same rpm. I had to shave a bit of plastic off the fan mount of my Freezer 7 to get it on there and it's a tight fit but it seems to be working well.
    As for the noise, I certainly can't pin it down above any other fan noise in my case, even if I turn it down to 50% then back up, so I let it run 100%. That said though I think Sam would throw a fit if he heard my case in 'o/c' mode!!
    I have 2 bios profiles set, one at stock speeds with Qfan and the throttle down feature enabled and that really is almost silent as all the fans end up at about 30-40%. In the o/c profile I let the chipset fan, cpu fan and my 120mm exhaust run 100% - that's 5600, 2600 and 850rpm respectively and the front intake runs 75% at about 1800rpm (this one I probably should replace with a better quieter model) and also I let the gfx cooler ramp up to 100% if it goes above 60c. Running like this the fan noise is definitely quite audible, but I'm playing games when it's like this so that really doesn't bother me!