1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

lol graphics coolers are rubbish arent they, mind you I dont think theyre as bad as the used to be, but 100% is going to sound like you have a pizza delivery boy on his moped in your case, oh yeh tell him I asked for extra peperoni and anchovies, and stuffed crust =o)>

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

MaccerM,
    Take a look at my temps and fan speeds, and you will see the benefits of the two Silverstones and the 40mm Silenx on the NB heatsink! The computer's been on for over 7 hours now. Room temp is 24C! The 80mm (Chassis) moves about 26.7 CFM at that speed and the 120mm (Fan #4) moves just under 70 CFM. You know it's running, but you can't hear it from the doorway, less than 10' away!

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5272/rightnowmv0.jpg

The 80mm is controlled by the bios, the 120mm is set manually and the 40mm Silenx runs full bore!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's alright, I may have to live with a 3870 stock cooler for a short while before I put an HR-03GT on it... Based on what I've heard though, the card will probably be acceptable, ish...

4. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Lol, sounds more like a hairdrier on the cool blow setting! (Oh and no anchovies man!)
    But seriously I don't mind the noise - I'm pretty sure the main noise comes from my intake and the cpu fan. Thing is I'm still at home and my mum has arthritis so she likes to keep the house super toasty! (moving out in a couple of weeks tho! Thank feck!) Think I could probably set the cpu and the intake dynamically to kill a few db. The 120mm is a Nexus silent jobby so I'll always run that full tilt - only 850rpm. My main noise producer is the intake, think it's a Zalman but it's a well used and quite noisy Zalman! - might look into a replacement.

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

sam expect temps upto 90ºc with it though, the bios fix is cool for every day too as when your not gaming its ok too, gaming normaly the games sound covers it up.

6. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the nexus fans dont move much air at all that could be part of your problem

7. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

I don't have a problem with temps really. It's just that I like to run the fans high to keep everything as cool as possible. For instance with the gfx card, I'd rather it ramped up to 100% and stayed below 70c than let it heat up to 85-90c with the fan on 60% at which speed you can barely hear it. But noise-wise, apart from flat out gaming the main culprit is the intake which is noisy at anything above 60% - what's the best 80mm fan you can buy!?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

850rpm? My Nexus 120mm makes 1050 at full pelt...
    I never had issues with my case fans running at that speed (apart from overclocking my GPU and playing Stalker lol)
    As for the 90C temps, my X1900XT with the stock cooler typically ran at 91C full load, I'll live.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Stop talking about fans guys. That NEVER turns out good...

10. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

i would run the intake slightly slower, and have the rear fan pulling , as the air inside the case gets warm it expands, by having a fast intake your not realy achieving your goal. zalman fans are quite noisey, at full tilt, but if you ran it with a fanmate you could reduce its noise down.Brands there are loads, but i think the noise depends on mounting method / case air pressure in the case ect. panasonic, artic cooling, yateloon, noctua, accoustfan. there are plenty of sites doing reviews . google has the answers.

also a thing to keep in mind if the rear fan is pulling more out the smaller fan wont have to work as hard as air will be pulled through it too.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not arguing in favour of any particular brand, I'm just curious that MaccerM's fan spins so slowly compared to mine, since we own the same model.

12. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

when i used them mine span at around 1050 / 1100 cant remember what fan i have in at the moment, lol funny enough theres a 12cm nexus fan laying on my floor right now lol and a nzxt and an asaka.

lol guess i am a 'fan'boi lol pun intended =o)

13. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

the nexus pulls the most power so i guess it gives it more torque, but then the akasa moves more air with a high pitch whine, i guess its like compairing a muscle car and a rice racer.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, 's alright, I've got a dozen spare 12cm fans at least, through switchign between preferred brands.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well I guess since we're talkin about fans, then I'll share a question with you guys :)

Ok, the 2 120mm fans in my radiator spin slowly when converted from the "standard" fan connector to the 4 pin molex connector, but then when I plug the fans directly into the motherboard, the fans spin pretty damn fast (and loud too). Why is this?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is there a resistance or crossover in the molex cable? Some fans run from the 12V to the 5V connectors so they use 7V rather than 12.

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

lol sam i opened a box under my stairs earlier it was full of fans, fan controllers / resistor cables ect, bad thing is its not a small box it was my thermaltake soprano case box full lol. if i had just changed to this case i could have saved a few hundred quid on fans / silencing my old system.

still im using them in new builds now for people, as the fans are barely run in.

18. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

yeh as sam said theres a cross over so from the molex your running them at a reduced rate.

are you in the uk waymon? if so check https://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/ as your into water sports hehe

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

abuzar = the stick that stirs the pot!!!!! heheehe. Well maybe I'm doing that now. :p

Russ I've been looking at your suggestion on the NB hs and I like it but does it come with that little bracket thingy?? NOT having a good week at the GOOGLEsearch action. :p I'll keep looking. I"m trying to find a place that has BOTH items to save S&H costs!!! :D

Sam,
    Send one of those 3870's my way. I'll put a check in the mail, I PROMISE>>>>> :D

Russ I have the DS3P so would I actually be able to use that hs and fan?? I may have to look at other alternatives if I want to COOL my NB a little more than it already is. ;) I want to use those just because they is so pretty!!!! lol. Just like a kid!! :p

...gm

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol that would be the SIXTH offer I've had for the card then. I haven't even got it yet, I only ordered it yesterday! (The powercolor card, that is)
    Besides, why would you buy one from someone in the UK, who has to pay taxes on their stuff? it may have been cheap, but it was still £134.55, $265 in your money. Can you not buy one new for 250 over there?