1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    That's all well and good, but these are DDR21000, PC28000! They aren't 1066MHz memory they're 1000MHz! I only mention it because of what you said above!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Abuzar - for encoding try 'Apex Video Converter Super'. It's what I use, tiny little prog but will convert anything to anything. I use it for making avi's of TV shows into .3gp for watching on my mobile phone. It's really quick, will reduce a 30 minute avi in about 1-2mins. Will do all avi, mpeg, mp4, rm, and apple formats.

3. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

here you are http://ati.amd.com/technology/Avivo/technology.html

4. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

enzotech heatsinks here, just about to strip my system out, ran the fan on the full 12v and silent operation, not even any noticable vibration :eek:) back in a few hours with results on its performance......

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I downloaded the Latest CCC from AMD and it still doesn't work. I'll try the Apex thing, thanks.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i will be a bit upset if i cant get an extra 66mhz out of them given they have a extra voltage warrenty thingiemabob.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well with OCZ RAM you might be pushing it at 1000Mhz anyway. Especially with 4 sticks, I doubt it will go much over 1000.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

RE: OCZ DDR3-1000,

Keep in mind this is new generation DDR and it runs a lot cooler then before at same speds. I had good results with the OCZ heat spreaders on many modules, compared to same size and speeds with either none or tiny solid aluminum (like Crucial's). If their average DDR800can hit 1000, then I'd expect 1066 easty out of these. Besides, unless you use an up-multi, you're not gonna even touch 1000 with anythong under 500FSB. I foreget what CPU, but if you have any of the E6x50 then utilize that 500FSB and you'd be cool right at DDR1000 and if you have an E6850 or coming E8400, and a top notch P35, or any X38, you'd be likely to hit 1066 as 1:1.

RE: OCZ heat sinks, The 2x2gb DDR2-800 4g kit I mentioned utilizes the same OCZ cooling and ran conciderably cooler then my older Crucial RAM at saem vdimm and frequency (both stock PC2-6400 > DDR1000 @ 2.2v). Thet keep cool enough on their own but do even better with the optional OCZ fan block or any type of forced air coling cause of the tiny hole desing (allows air to circulate throughout and heat to disipate much quicker).

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Bro that's DDR2 not DDR3 lol.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

lol, my bad, the first link I opened directed to a DDR3 page.

But nevertheless, OCZ has a good overclocking potential even over that of the Corsiar XMS series in most modules and sizes. So with stock cooling, DDR1066 is more then likely obtainable. might need 5-5-5-18 but still as good as cl4 @ 800MHz.

Did I hear you say you wanted to use 4 sticks? Utilizing 4 slot on any current chipset hinders the OC potntial and creats heat to mobo , expecially if forcing an up-divider. For the money spent, you'd be better off getting the 2x2g (4GB) kit for $80 - $100. The kit I mentioned will do DDR1000 al day long but neds a bit more juice to hit 1066. I haven't te
    sted to beyond 1050, just cause I didnt need it on the mobo in testing. Buyt @ DDR1050, it did need 2.245v. I believe 2.6v may get the 1066 if I tweaked them some more.

The 2x1g kit did 1066 @ only 2.2v and I'm certain it could have done more with more vdimm

For the best buy, just get a good set of OCZ or Crucial PC2-8500 and use with whatever speed you need under 1200MHz. DDR2 is dating so prices are coming way down.

Crucial Ballistics PC2-8500 are going for less the $100.00, not bad for 1200MHZ (if you deside to OC)

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 2GB is about 62 now.

Also it was my mistake on the 4 sticks. He will indeed use 2 sticks. I'm still not sure of the 1066mhz speed, unless he loosens the timings even more. Maybe if they were Reapers, but not the Platinum edition.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if you live in the UK, i would ALWAYS go for the balistix.

they Oc liek the dogs nuts, and if they fail, crucial (based in UK) send you a replacement pair, within 48hrs GRANATEED.

superb service, and OCers, just they might be a bit dead :p

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    The reason they do better with the optional OCZ fan block is because the chips on the dim do a poor job of contacting the heat spreader. All the open areas in the "Latticework" are areas that the heat spreader doesn't touch the chips at all! From an engineering standpoint, it's a poor design! A "smart" design would have made the spreader solid where the chips are in contact with the spreader, with the Latticework in between, above and below the chips!

abuzar1,
    I use Win Avi! It will convert Avi, Vob and mpeg to wmv. very easy to use, too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  14. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

This is somewhat true to a c`ertain degree. The issue here is that for RAM sinks that are solid, tend to trap heat in without any active moving air around. Whareas the ported sinks will allow heated air to escape much more freely. I ran a series of test on matched parts from Crucial and Corsair to show this. I did find that the D9's on Crucials tend to just warm much more regardless of wich cooler.

Also, OCZ uses solid copper v/s shin aluminum of Corsair or Crucial. So it actually becomes as if it was the same surface area as far as material is concerned. If the solid sinks were copper and vented with ports just next to the actual IC chip that we would see some better air circulation. Add a fan, and even better.

We are starting to see notebook sodimm RAM with solid sinks and they too suffer from trapped heated air , especially since notebooks have even less air space. So here we can certainly make use of perforated sinks to work with the already perforated, slotted botom plates in most notebook. I found this out with my 2 noteboks and 1 using PC2-6400 GIEL with solid aluminum. They dont get any cooler then my OCZ at same speed and tighter timings and no sink.

Just some of my findings on the RAM cooling solutions.

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

do you know what your saying????

do you know that they are the same ic on the same pcb and the only difference is the heatpipe cooler? is that worth the +50% premium? ddr 1000 that wont hit ddr1066? we shall see later as i have them in my hand and will be fitting them soon.

as for the ballistix, well yea if i was only after 2gb or 4x1gb stix then yes of course i would of gone for some but thats not what i needed.

edit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

only change is the ram, i just need a cold night now to see if i can get it into the 15sec @ 3.6ghz :D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Whatever you choose, I hope it all comes together for you. The outlook from MSI doesn't seem promising at the moment, as they've scrapped the 2DDR2/4DDR3 x38 in favor of just 4 DDR3 slots. The X48 supposedly will have both, but neither motherboard seems to be available for sale, even though they're on MSI's product list. I can find a ton of reviews, but I can't find a single one for sale! Even the links with them for sale, are "Out of Stock"! More than likely, they never were in stock to begin with! I actually only found one review of the specific motherboard you mentioned. All the rest of the X38 Diamond reviews are for 4 DDR3 slots only! I frankly don't understand what's going on as we are talking about a motherboard that was introduced 6 months ago, that isn't even in production yet. We've had all those "Rave" reviews from all over the planet, but no product as of yet.

I don't know what you will wind up building, but I'm sure it will be a very good machine. There's a lot of good motherboards out there right now, so you will have a lot to chose from!

Check your PMs for the links!

Edit:
    I just saw your SuperPi marks. That's pretty amazing being the only difference is the memory and memory speed! I guess that means when I get the Crucial ballistix 1066 memory, I should be in the 13 second bracket with mine. I'm at 14s 735ms right now!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

look at you showing off with all that l2 cache :p

well there is twice as much ram too,but i think the extra mem bandwidth should easily get you under 14 as you cpu will love it. i know what you mean about these bloody paper launches its a pita but i think they are waiting for the new tax year to put them on the shelves and boost their figures for the year, well i hope so anyway.

right im off putting vista 64 bit back on.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Given those results, I'd love to have some proper 8500 speed RAM in my PC, but in reality, I'd achieve very little with it until I grabbed a higher binned CPU, and given how well my PC plays games, that's just unncessary for me right now. Fast DVD encoding would be nice, but I don't encode DVDs! lol
    It's a bit like our infamous debate over silent fans. My CPU does for my needs!

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Exactly the point! Mine also does for my needs, so I'm not in any hurry to run out and buy 1066 Ram! When I do, It will be a nice upgrade, and at the right price. All in all, I'm very pleased with the results. I didn't quite reach the 3.6GHz I wanted, but it wound up being so much faster than I expected, even at the 3.5GHz I run it at now. Thanks to a little tweaking, it's faster now at 3.5gHz than it was at 3.55! I thought it over and decided to leave myself a little more headroom while refining some of the settings in the bios. I'm also really pleased with how well SP-3 makes my XP-Pro work in it!

I know I could sit here and lament that I didn't wait for the E8400, but even if I had, pretty soon I would be feeling the same towards the next high performance affordable chip that comes out. LOL!! Then there's always the thought of the prices going down on the good Quads, so it's a never ending process, possibly driven by "Insanity"! ROFL!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Someone around here has either an E4300 or an E6600 at 3600MHz, on an Asus P5N-E SLI yet, and does SuperPi in the mid 14s! Both from when they first came out. I would really love to know what went wrong with that particular MB! I remember Leo LaPorte on the radio raving about that MB and the E4300. I also remember about 9-10 months ago when he was apologizing for that recommendation! Sadly, it never got back to being as good as when it first came out. I know it had me talking to myself between the problems I was having with Gina's build and the ragging on I was getting at the Hounds to the point of seriously wondering if I was really the problem, rather than the equipment. I think Mort has one and it's the only one I've ever known that actually runs with all 4 memory slots populated. Gina tried adding 2GB of the same Corsair XMS memory to hers, and it immediately did the BSOD routine! I still get very angry with Asus over the way they handled that particular situation, especially since they continued to deny that there was any problem at the same time their forum was screaming about it! I think I hold the record for the number of BSODs in a single week, that's for sure! LOL!!

I can't wait to see what Sophocles gets for SuperPi with his new E8400 on his older tech Asus MB and memory. He's at 3.8GHz right now! I'm betting it will be in the 12s and maybe lower with 6MB of L2 Cache! His Sandra benchmarks are pretty high too!

Best Regards,
    Russ