1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

from what iv seen you need the right bios for mem in all 4 slots, i think its 0608 for all the slots full but i belive it hampers ocing slightly, and i think its 0703 for quads.

just another reason i wanted 2 stix :D

i think he will go bellow that with a 8400@3.8ghz, they are doing 8s from 4.2ghz but as it shows above mem bandwidth helps superpi by quite a bit.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Marsey, I said that because I have heard people say that the reapers overclock better. The better heatsink might help.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I've got an E6600 @ 3.6ghz but it is on an asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi mobo, Intel 975X northbridge chipset. I'm also only using 2 of the memory slots. 2 x 1gb corsair DDR2 XMS2 PC2 6400. that's all I intend to use as filling the remaining slots could interfere with my OC.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Code:
    I've got an E6600 @ 3.6ghz but it is on an asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi mobo, Intel 975X northbridge chipset.
    I knew you were at 3600, but I wasn't too sure of the MB or memory! LOL!! I've seen a screen shot of CPUZ of an E4300 in a P5N-E at 3.6GHz! If I remember right, it was built right after they came out!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

BigDK had an E4300 OC'ed to 3.6 but I'm not sure what mobo it was on. I think it was on a P5W DH Deluxe too. I know he had that mobo.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Thanks Mort! It may have been him, as I only remember seeing 1 3.6GHz E4300 anywhere, other than Tom's Hardware! I remember being so stunned at the MB being a P5N-E, especially with all the problems I had with 2 consecutive ones.

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

yep, paul had his 4300 upto 3.6ghz but it was in his p5b dlx and i think it was under water too.

mine on the other hand was in the p5n, check the link in my sig.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Looks like you hit the Double Lotto Jackpot! LOL!! E4300s at 3.6GHz on air are extremely rare, and the odds against doing it on a P5N-E are astronomical! A legitimate Royal Flush in 5 card stud, is a better bet! ROFLMAO!! I've only seen that done twice in my life! Oddly enough on consecutive Friday nights, and the person that dealt the first one received the second from the person he dealt it to the week before! No funny business either!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Hi all, alright simply put I have my new PC. Asus P5N32-E SLI, with 4GB's of Crucial Ballistix Ram certified for my motherboard, a Q6600 and the urge to overclock this sucker. I have updated to the latest stable BIOS 1205 w/ 1302 being the Beta version currently I believe. But whatever I do the BIOS won't save my custom settings. I will change the FSB and the Multiplier. Exit and Save from the BIOS. Reboot to windows and CPU-Z still reads it as its default settings. What can I do to get this at least up to 3.0?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@pea
    from what i have seen 1203 is the best bios for ocing, see if you can flash to that and see how that goes.

11. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

With the enzotech cooler on my northbridge at 12v, its not audible at all, even when i first tested it by pugging it in before installing it, you couldnt hear it unless it was 3" from your ear, the fan seems to push plenty of air too.

After gaming for 5 hours, the northbridge is hovering around 48ºc - 50ºc a vast improvement.

Oh yeh Sam I play COD4 on 1600 x 1200 maxed out, might start playing it through my tv using the hd out on the card though.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why not? If it's 1920x1080 res it'd look pretty damn sweet.

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

well i know in todays market its no record, what with the wolves hitting sub 8s and all, but this is as fast as i can get my 4300 i think.

[​IMG]

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thanks for the tip. I'm off to flash it now and I will let you guys know how things work out. Also this is my second overclock, my first being a very mild overclock of a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ from 2.0 to 2.4. I would like to take this Q6600 up to 3.0 minimum. What are your guys recommendations? Bump the multiplier up first and then increase the FSB to its most stable point? Or do it only through via increasing the FSB?

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@marsey

Quick question there is no 1203. There is a 1205 and a 1103. I assume you are referring to the 1103 as the superior BIOS.

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

To the guy who got the EnzoTech SLF-1. I'm not sure but it looks as if you are talking about using this on a NB chipset. This model was designed for use on a SB or low profile SLI nVidai chipset. It is a great unit, I use one now in place of the older enzoTek CNB-S1L (same but no fan holes). They do make "2" NB versions, EnzoTech CNB-R1 round 45mm and the EnzoTech CNB-S1 square 36mm. The 45mm is by far a great unit and I've been using them since !975X OC's to 1.6v on air , no fan. Although, very easy to mod w/ fan if needed on all.

The Swiftech MCX159-CU Chipset Heatsink is another excellent unit if you want one fan ready, or it can be had w/ fan included, the 40mm square. It will take the 40x25mm fan. These do great on todays hot P35's and the even hotter nVidai's. I use Use one of these on a nV590 w/ fan (I am not using SLI on this).

For the SLI needs, look to the ThermalRights SLI models as the can be just as great but can flip around the large SLI GPU and coolers. They can use a variety of fans from 60x10mm to 80x25mm.

So yes, as tested b myself, the solid copper does great on these newer warmer chipsets for both w/ or w/o fans and keeps a nF590 to 37c idle, 42c loaded. and P35 and !975X to 31c idle and 38c loaded (29c on cool days).

"Have Fun"

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Greetings from BigDK thought I'd see what everyone is doing now.

I did indeed get the E4300 to 3.6GHz on the P5B Deluxe on water 'well remembered' that was also proven stable on several hours of Orthis testing.

That board sadly died a nasty death at the hands of my phase cooler and the CPU went on eBay.

Tried quite a few boards and chips since then.

Now using a Q6600 G0 on my main rig which is a GAX38DQ6 with an 8800GTX all watercooled, the phase cooler is in the garage connected to one of my old E6600's on an Asus Commando 'must start playing with that again, but it's too cold out there'.

Still got the P5WDH running at 3.6 with my other E6600 24/7 it's probably the best stability board long term I've ever had.

This new board is a dream to OC, takes my 3DMark06 scores to 17.4K and my PCmark05 score to 12.05K with the current settings. Did 3hr40 mins Orthis at this speed today, temps up at 47 max on 2 cores.

Generally my new cooling setup eats heat and allows a far better OC.
    Some people have had issues with the stock fitted chipset cooling, but mine is pretty good even at these increased voltages and speeds

Will try and push the Q6600 up over 4G's in the next few days.

8800GTX currently OC's from 1800/576 to 2100/680

Temps and mem bandwidth seen in pic.

Catch ya L8R

[​IMG]

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

BigDK, Do let me know how much FSB you can get out of thay GA-X38DQ6? I read a lot of treads that it didn't quite go as far as the P5E or MAXIMUS on either the DDR2 or DDR3 versions but I also heard the Gigabyte tryis to fix this with newer BIOS updates. after, they had over 4 months to get with it. ASUS is still working on fixes as we type.

I'd be interested in which kind of mobo volts are needed to hit above 450FSB and to 500. Or if you have issues with updividers.

The Q6600 is a hard CPU to get to 4GHz on any board and it is mostly to the limitations of the quads riht now. The X38 surely can get it there if the mobo offers tweaks to do so. However I did get mine to the same 4GHz on my ASUS P5WDG2-WS but needed a 1.56v vcore, 1.712v PLL and FTBT of 1.5v.

But good luck on that amd do let us all know if you get it on this new mobo. I wanted this when new, but the MAXIMES FORMULA was available 1st for my area.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    No offense meant, but the Swiftech stinks! It's mounting surface is the absolute worst for any cooler I've ever seen. Looks like it was surfaced with a belt sander using coarse grit. It had grooves in it! I know I could polish it out, but at $35, it damn well better come finished a lot better than the one I sent back! It's not terribly flat either! It doesn't even cool as well as the stock heatsink. I've tried several NB coolers, some with fans and some passive and the Stock heatsink with a 40mm fan screwed to it still works the best. I've recently read here and other forums about the EnzoTech CNB-R1, and it looks to be better than anything else at the moment.

I've tried the Evercool heatpipe NB cooler, a Thermaltake, and the Swiftech and all were returned for a refund. I even thought about trying the Silenx, before sanity prevailed! LOL!! Someone here recently bought the Enzotech CNB-R1 and reported that it did a great job. We'll see, as I plan to get one soon myself!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ do keep us informed about the performance of the Enzotech. ;) I didn't buy one yet as it seems that I have to buy a GPU first. :-( If they're excepted as I think they will be I'll get one for my ASUS A8N5X mobo as well. It runs a bit warm on the stock heatsink me thinks.....

@BigDK,
    Hey buddy nice to see you drop by and update us on your goodies. ;) Hope things are going well and are keeping your "fried" computer parts to a minimum. :D I've been in touch with docTY lately and I expect him to do something similar with a Q6600 (GO stepping) as well. ;) Good luck to you my friend.

...gm