1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I just think AMD is short on funds and is spending money towards developing a new CPU and not towards ATI.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

give it a few years, and when they maek their CPU come back, their GPUs and chipsets will improve dramatically.

to AMd the most important is CPU, as they will are bought mroe than GPus, as GPUs can be built into a mobo.

the CPU market is the money maker, and if they can capture it again, well, who noes what can happen

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    I think you are mistaken in that first statement! Your opinion does carry a lot of weight! I think it's more a question of economics and practicality. I don't think that there is a person on this forum that wouldn't want to have some of your toys, but for most of us it's beyond the budget's we have to work with. We've got just about every economic lifestyle represented here, from rich to poor. Young people who shovel snow in the winter and mow lawns in the summer just to save up enough money for a decent computer. College guys and working people with families to support! When you can easily spend about $2000 for a CPU, MB and GPU only, it's not even a dream for most of us, as we simply can't afford to stay on the cutting edge of technology. The price is just too high for a lot of us to even consider. We shop the middle-high end of things, shop for good quality components at prices we can afford in an effort to get the most out of our buck. We sit patiently and wait for that high dollar parts to go down in price, usually because something new and better has replaced them, so the price goes down. It's just a matter of how we have to do things to wind up with a good, high quality computer. I think most here would agree with me!

That being said, I agree with you on the Q6600 completely. Unless the price was to drop below $200, it just wouldn't be worth the investment as there's just too much good stuff coming shortly! The video card might be a different thing, as a $200 8800 w/512 would be worth considering for a lot of us.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, it's a reference design card. They're all basically the same.

BTW what the heck does NuckNFuts do for a living?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    True but there is still differences in the quality of the components used. That's why I asked which brand it was!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

To BigDK
    bios 2406
    memory corsair pc2 6400 (2x1g)
    not sure abot the GO chip how do I find out?
    Also I have the BFG 8800 GTS AND TEMPS show 165???

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Looks like we're talking about the P5WDH not the DQ6.
    I havn't used the quad core on my P5WDH, as it's still running with an E6600 on 2004 BIOS.

I'll check there's no issues with the latest version and then flash it later and see if there are any options that have appeared that aren't on my BIOS.

I can go with what I use, and offer those settings 'they won't be far off' but how stable it will be with a quad I'm not sure, I don't even know how the P5WDH performs well with a quad in OC terms at least.

I really don't want to move my quad as I've got really good flat contact at the moment.

Once I've had a chance to look I'll put some settings up for you.

That GPU temp seems very high, 8800GTS is a G92 chip I believe, so can't compare it to my card which the G90.
    Is that youre idle temp 70'C, if so what full load temps are you getting?

I can't even get anywhere near 70'C under full load with it OC'd, what are you using to measure the temps, and what your case cooling like?

Do we have any other SP1M times to view, it's always good to see what everyone is getting out of their systems 12.704 my best so far on this rig, will try and bring that down today!

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think it is a BFG.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Havn't changed my BIOS as there appears to be a few issues with some of the settings in the later versions, although it appears that 2406 is the best version for you to use on that quad.

I'm not sure you're going to get a 400FSB with that CPU on that board, but 333 should be relatively easy to do.

Obviously using manual settings:
    set FSB to 333, change pci to manual 33.3 and pci-e to manual 100.
    You can probably get away with using eist and either manually set the cpu voltage to what you can get away 'lowest possible it will boot with and stay stable' or auto
    Memory will be 1.8V probably and what ever the timings are.
    I would try a 1:1 with memory set to 667 to start with, when everything is stable you cap the divider to give around 800 + or - depending on what the memory performs like.
    You can either run it slower and tighten the timings or faster with looser timings.
    If doing the latter a small v increase will help to stabilize it, but don't put too much extra through standard xms memory.

If you start to go over 333 on the fsb then there are other bios settings to change to get past that wall.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    Here's my SuperPi for 32M and 1M at 3.5GHz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not near as good as yours, but I'm still pretty happy with it. If I can ever save enough to get some Crucial Ballistix 1066 memory, I'll have a go at it at 3.8GHz.

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Still pretty good times though.

Wasn't that long ago I thought breaking 20 seconds was a major goal.

I've also found a whole host of superpi tweaks that until now I've never bothered trying, I will spend an afternoon soon trying them out and report the differences 'if any' seen, but for that I will use XP not Vista, as after getting it activated for the 3rd time in a week, I don't want to mess it up and cause another phone call to MS.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: I beg to differ on that, even when it's just the reference design, proper brand cards still show out to be better made than the cheaper ones.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes I know, powercolor would be an example of a not so good manufacturer. I was thinking something else when I wrote that.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and yet despite all that, my Powercolor HD3870 performs better than the Sapphire one... go figure!

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

baltekmi, If I may step in. If in deed you are talking about a Q6600 on a P5W-DH, then YES, 400 - 450FSB is a snap on that mobo (on 9x of corse, 8x was better but more of a challange). Just being a top end !975X gives it that advantage over any of the 9x family chipsets and a very close runner up to the P35 (even kept good score to ASUS's own P35 based P5K Deluxe with same CPU/RAM config). I got 475FSB on my GO Q6600 on the !975X P5WDG2-WS as stable daily. 490 was max for loading and testing and only limited to overvoltages on my mobo. My P35 based P5K Deluxe only took it to 495. I know of few "GO" hitting 500 on X38.

I don't have my P5W-DH to test anymore but still have my older P5WDG2-WS and both did 525FSB depending on CPU used. An E6750 did 518 tops with a 7x, and an old E6300 di 532FSB. This chipset was desighned around dual Prescotts, so Core 2 Dual is easier on voltages. And since !975X was ahead of it's time, it was known to be Core 2 Dual compatable even at it's release. Only ASUS and Gigabyte to my knowledge made that known.

"JUST PUTTIN' THAT OUT THERE"

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I sent Gigabyte an e-mail about an hour ago and this was their response to the question of PCI-E 2.0.

Due to chipset limitation this motherboard cannot support PCI-E 2.0, an newer chipset board will need to be used in order to take advantage of PCI-E 2.0

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, but this card works in boards that aren't PCIe 2.0 anyway, so I don't think that could be the problem. Besides, the frame rate the card can achieve is fine, as is its 3dmark. Only certain games seem to induce it.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Could be a hardware/software conflict! You might check the information that came with the game, or on their website!

BTW! I want to make a backup of Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars for a backup, but it's on DVD! Any ideas??? TYIA!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Erm, don't quite get you there - surely backing up a DVD is exactly the same process!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Nope, DVD backup software only deals with DVD files VOB, etc.

Russ