1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

I use everest ultimate v4.201245 beta not sure if thats why...

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Then too, you have had some problems with both cards so maybe something is wrong with the card! I also upgraded my MB bios to the latest. It didn't read my video card before that!

Don't know what MB bios version you are running, but F10 for yours is the latest!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right, maybe I need to do that too. I'll give that a miss just for getting temps in everest thanks...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    See my EDIT! I was reluctant to do that myself, but I finally decided that if it didn't work to my liking (which it does!) I could always go back to what I had! Put it on a floppy or USB drive and use the F8 in the setup and it's a snap! The newest one for yours sems to be for the same thing as my F-11 bios!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

If there are issues with reading certain cards temp etc... you should feed this back to Lavalys so they can address it.

The support they give covers these problems, and by getting the feedback they at least will know what they need to fix.

It does however appear to work on Nvidia cards without an issue.

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Just checked, this issue is addressed in build 1277

Download this, reboot and try again, 1 users describe mouse lag after install, but no one else confirms this, also UT is shown as less than 5% min no value between 1-4% is displayed, but at least the temps issue is sorted.

http://www.lavalys.com/beta/everestultimat...sd9lz2macbx.zip

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the advice BigDK. ;) Your link didn't work for some reason and would that "same" advice apply to Corp Ed. too?..

.....gm

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Link won't work for me now either 'strange'

Not sure about versions if works with, I only use Ultimate and haven't found a need to update yet as the Nvidia reports all seem to be in line with other tools reporting temps.

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, no good, it's a trial version... It does, however pick up one of my GPU's temps, so it looks like I'm good to go if I get the new version.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

12. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Hey do you guys think it's safe to overclock my iMac's ATI Radeon X1600 GFX card using ATITool? I was reading that Apple limited it's power because of possible issues (louder, more heat, w/e) so it's not even performing at what it should be. I just don't want to F up my computer so I was just wondering if doing so will damage or shorten the life of the card or whatever...

You guys know more then I do...

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I wouldn't overclock anything in a iMac. That thing is form over function. I don't think your Video card will keep very cool.

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I mwith abuzar on this one. Apple underclocked that card for a purpose; to keep noise down, to conserve battery life, to prolong the other laptop components. Overclocking would drain your battery much faster, raise nose levels, and the heat could potentially damage all the other components of the laptop seeing as there all withing close proximity of one another.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When CPUs, Graphics cards etc. are offered in numerous versions identical except for their clock speeds, overclocking potential is pretty much a given. If you have an example of a product that's been deliberately underclocked however, there's a reason for it. Overclock the GPU in your Mac and you're probably likely to encounter crashes and stability issues, along with potentially artifacts or worse damaging the hardware inside.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He doesn't have a laptop, those are Macbooks I hink.

Anyway the iMac is basically laptop components fitted in with a monitor. Stay away from overclocking, you might overheat and screw up other components in your PC including the GPU.

17. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Just to update for any ASUS owners. I just confirmed for the ones acking before about removing factory installed heat sinks. Yes you may remove but they do or would preffer you remount them uppon an RMA so they cn test as such. Abit was fine with not requiring anything to be put back on (although, this was over a year ago). This is my 1st RMA for ASUS directly in 10yrs, (the only other, P4C800-E, was still via retail store and other, P2B DL, was just bad EPROM chip and was maild to install myself) so I am pleased to say the over the phone responce is good so far. I will follow up on the actual repair and return portion of the RMA as it goes for those interested.

For any interested, I did have a good strong 4 months with my X38 based ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA SE and E6750 CPU on air.

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

wasnt sure wether to post this here or start another thread but if a few of have/run it we'll see.

crysis, it is the most demanding (yes you can say poorly optimised if it makes you feel better) games on the markets atm and as such the guys over at xs have knoced together a frontend which alows you to run the games own benchmark on all the lvls.

original thread is here for more info and to dl the file. its only small so you will wait longer in the que on rapidshare then it takes to dl.

anyway, this is on my 24/7 setup so 3.2ghz with my gpu running 800 core 2000 shaders and 1000mem, i can squeeze a bit more out of it but dont game with it like that so i didnt see the point.

[​IMG]

how does yours do?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Got the tool, but I'll have to reinstall crysis before I test - I used the hacked Ultra settings from the hardforum, and I don't seem to be having much luck with removing them.