1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

not sure how much success you will have as it keeps crashing for me unless i try to run it in 64bit and dx10.

in other news iv just got my mate to sell me his quad66 as its overkill for his htpc, anyway who thinks i can get 3ghz out of it in my p5nesli???? im not so sure but i will fry it trying :D

i know im gunna need some better air tho and im thinknig about the ifx-14 with push, push/pull, pull fans (yes 3) and then maybe a x38 to really see what this and the q66 can do. what would you guys reccomend in the x38 range, must be ddr2 tho and dddr3 slots would be a plus.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I tried, and indeed, it crashes for me just trying to open the application - methinks that needs a bit of work.
    There's only so much you can gain by forcing extra air over a heatsink before you reach the limit of the heatsink's capacity, you're best off getting an Ultra 120 with a fast fan, or lapping the hell out of it, or both!

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i plan on lapping the chip too but im just not sure, i have seen reviews saying the ifx cools better than the true as it is the same basic design but has more surface area due to the split design of the fins.

not sure, il see what happens over the next few weeks and what is in stock when i get the visa out.

other thing im not sure of is wether or not to give one of those metal pads a go or get some mx-2. the metal pads are ment to be as good as any paste, if not better, but you need to heat your cpu to near 60c to get the pad to melt and give the best results. not sure yet.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    If it accepts the CPU, it should be all right on yours. You may have to flash the bios for the quad! You have one of the rare good P5N-E motherboards that can overclock well, as witnessed by your previous OC! I don't really know how well the 650i does with the Quad! If it runs at stock speed and recognizes the CPU, you should have no problem.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

They are based on the origional design and yes have slightly more finned surface area. The major differance is the fact that they offer beter retention methods then before. I always ended up modding mine for bolts anywayz so it's about time. It allows for a better, stable fit, especiall on them hot nVidia SLI chipsets that like to have more tightness. So now you can mount a 80mm fan without having it tilt on you. my nForce 590 gets so hot I wish I had room for a push/pull set like the Ultra 120 Extreme.

6. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hey guys i have a question. I had gotten my hands on the gigabyte 3850 for $200. Now i see at the computer store by my house the 3870 512mb w/gddr4 for $200. So i ask you this is there a big difference between manufacturers. I posted the link so that you may look at it and give your thoughts. Because i already have a buyer for my 3850 which is still in the box unopened as i still haven't got all my parts for my build. So if there are no real differences except from what i can see is just the coolers but that i can replace later on if need be. Let me know so i can jump on this card and buy it. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Viper Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E Video Card

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That cards seems to have generally positive reviews on newegg. I say get it.

8. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

I figured that. I just wanted to make sure. This is the first time im building a system for performance and over clocking. Ive built system before but never got into deep just purpose builds. Now i plan on having some fun and really learning what a pc can do. So far the list goes cpu= E8400 motherboard= " i changed my mind again" Gigabyte X38 DQ6, Now i will be getting that video card and got the corseair 620 PSU. going to get the crucial's 1066 ram 2gbs. I have the thermalright 120 extreme for a heatsink and thinking of getting the thermaltake armor case" that case is huge"

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How long are you keeping this build? If it's for a long time I would future proof it with a quad core CPU.

10. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

I would love to do a quad as i do a lot of video and Lightwave. But that market is still a little confusing to me. The new quad is G i cant go spending that money.And the Q6600 from what ive read from you guys is tricky to overclock and doesn't go that high. Is there another 45nm quad coming out that isnt that pricey that you know of. Otherwise i would get it. I got the E8400 for $189.00 at that same store as the link i gave for the video card. Im willing to go $300 for a quad thats about it but it will take me another 2 to 4 weeks before i can muster that cash Though. I just finally got the cash for X38 last week that took a while.
    I am trying to future proof this PC as much as possible so that it will last a good two years or so. At that time i should be well of financially that i can keep up with the technology.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The Q9450 si coming out in march for 316. The Q6600 actually overclocks great. I'm sure you can pull about 3.6 Ghz on a good motherboard.

12. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hmmm i just looked it up. I like. Well by the time i have everything i need for my build it should be out. i think i will definately get my hands on one. If its anything like the 9650 it will be a good workhorse.Thanks a bunch for the info. Once again i find myself changing my mind and pushing my build time line back lol. Its all good though as im making sure to get the best possible build for my buck. Even though i blew my budget a long time ago and im not even done yet. I cant wait till i see the performance gains i get for this build. Beleive it or not i work of a laptop Dell XPS M140 2gigs ram PC4200 pentium M 1.73ghz hasn't failed me yet just takes some time to do things thats all.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes it does look very good, in fact I'm getting one too.

14. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Can't wait now darn it. You know quad cores are not new technology its a shame that more programs don't utilize it to its full potential by now. Its just seems that by the time you gets used to a technology something bigger and better comes out and never get to use or understand the full potential of the previous.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

To the new build, If it is gonna take 2 to 4 weeks then by all means wait for better selections of both duals and a few quads. The Q9650 is high for what it can do for right now and isn't even the Extreme.

As for furture proofing, you;d need to be keeing this for another 7 - 10 yrs before you'll feel that dent. That's not to say better apps will come in the next 3 yrs, to 5 yrs that will really need quad core. They are nice but do not have the tweakability of the duals if just getting into it.As for the new Penryn quads on 45nm, they to date only offer lower temp w/ less volt but do not go so much higher then current quads, just easier. It is just a limiting factor to the quad core overclocking. The Q9300 will be only $316.00 and already does better then the Q6700 for overclocking. The Q9650 was not that great of an overclocker for it's price.

So if you don't need a quad , forget about future proof since this whole socket and core will be old news before you feel the real need for a quad (about 2yrs). Buy a low to medium dual and enjoy for the next 2 yrs to the new core come on 32nm and onboard memory controller. And if not tready for that, keep your set for another yr till the $$ rops. Just some ideas to look into.

Good luck

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

NuckNFuts, we are discussing getting the Q9450 which happens to be 316USD. The Q9300 is not 316 dollars and it run worth it in my opinion due to the Q9300 having half the cache of the Q9450.

Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, I'm kinda tired.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

chop2113,
    The chip that's the current "Best Bang for the buck" Champion is the E8400! 35,000+ MIPS at about 3.8GHz. With 6MB of L2 Cache it does very well encoding video! And at around $200, It's pretty tough to beat! I have an E6750 and I wish I had waited for the E8400! Even at the same speed as mine (3.5GHz) the encode times would be lower!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Well then i guess i should keep going the track im going at the moment.
    I already bought the E8400 for $189.00USD was going to sell it to my friend that im selling the 3850 video card to. So i guess the only overkill i have is buying the X38 DQ6 motherboard. As when the 32's come out i would need a new mobo. Could've went with the P35 to save some cash. Thanks for the input guys.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well then don't buy a X38 motherboard. Keep your budget low since the new Intel CPUs will use different sockets making your current, expensive, board useless.

20. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Thats the problem I already bought it last week :(