1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Flooow up, I spacifically mentioned the Q9300 as a budget entry level quad as opposed to the current Q6600. It has the same 6x2mb l2 as the others all the way to the extreme QX's. It is nicely priced at around $200. so I mention this too cause of the fella's CPU budget for a quad.

As for the X38, the P35 DQ6 is just as much as the X38-DQ6, so you'd be better off with the X38 since it offers better power management and features for the Penryn and overclocking. Now if you couldnt get the ASUS or DFI then the Gigabyte should be a good mobo for the next 2yrs easy.

From what I keep being told that nobody here will by highend or new tech, then forget about the Nehalmen 32nm, it will be expensive to change over all at once. Even if the socket remains the same, the core tech will not be. So you did fine with a current X38 since they are IMO better then the X48 for our type of overclocking. And as for DDR2, it is the last of the best for DDR2 OC'n. X48 is being timines for DDR3. So relax and enjoy that X38-DQ6 and let me know if you want to compare notes.

Have Fun

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the nehlam, will be here Q1 2k9. the prices of yorkfeild are good, esp for the performance, and as usual, the first set of chips to come out with the nehlam, will be EXTREME chips. no-one (or hardly anyone) in AD are extreme enthusiasts.

the penryns are damned worth the money for the performance, (unlike the extreme chips :p)

id say go for the Q9450, because its clocked at 2.66, has an FBS of 1333, its got FU)KING 12MB of L2 Cache.

its perfect.

and only costs around £220.

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I have the Gigabyte GAX38DQ6 and I love the board.
    It is one of if not the best over clocking boards I've ever used, very easy to set up.
    Stick with either F3 or F7 BIOS and you won't go far wrong with it.
    I've had my Q6600 running 3600 24/7 at 1.36V without any issues, I also now run my Dominator 8500C5 at 1200 speed at 2.25V, again with no issues at all.
    I've taken the Q6600 up over 4GHz and cn run most bench tests, fails Orthos after about 40 mins, but could probably get it stable with more voltage, but I was already having to run at over 1.5V, and although the Q6600 can handle that, I don't want to run 24/7 with that going through it.
    I'm just about to get an E8400 to try on the board but they aren't available in UK until 12th Feb, if you don't already have a CPU then the E8400 is what I would suggest, it will easily do 4GHz + on this board and will utilize SSE4 which the Q6600 can't.
    I do a lot of video editing work but also like gaming at very high resolution 2560x1900 so its a balance between higher speed new design against extra 2 cores.

Did you mention what memory you are getting?

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

e8400 has been out for a good few weeks here

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-192-IN

5. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Unless they changed the date between when you saw it, it now says,

6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

they had it in acuople of weeks ago. must have sold out... sorry didnt see that. alot of ppl were achiveing +4.3GHz. amazing little chip.

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Even if Overclockers did have it, I wouldn't be buying it there.
    £164 for a chip most other places are advertising at £126-£130

8. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Seems i got the juices flowing for people thats good cause it seems this thread was slowing down to a crawl. i dont post much but i read everything you guys say.Now To BigDK im getting crucial 1066 ram. To Nuck when i get this system finally built i would like to compare but it will be more like you guys teaching me since this will be my first overclock. now that im getting a clear picture of everything hopefully by the end of feb i should be ready. Thank again for all your advice guys

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've also used my 8500 Ballistix on this setup, they performed perfectly at that speed.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

agreed completely. there Q6600s are £70, which is like 20-30 more than others, and there Q9450 is like £235, which is like £10- £20 more than others.

a

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Its a shame because the web layout is quite good and the memory section has a good range.
    The GPUs and memory can be quite good prices, but everything else seems to be cranked up to the point of rip off.
    I'm waiting for my E8400 to come onto Dabs or Scan stock.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

GPU, RAM, are cheaper, id say than most places.

cases, mobo and HDD, and optical driver are about the same,

BUT

CPUs, and PSU ARE MASSIVELY OVER PRICED.

yeah, the site is probably of of the best organized, and easy to navigate, unlike ebuyer (where when u search for something, a million other things pop up, and scans pop up menus can be annoying), but it dont make up for some of the prices.

the forusm are very good aswell, and they aslo complain of the prices, so id have to say the Customer service, aint to good, but they do have some forum member only deals some times, and you can sell and buy components from other people there aswell.

13. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

The E8400 is £126 @ aria BigDK, I agree about Overclockers, they are a bit steep , unless your new to pc's or overclocking (shame how people trust them because of their name) its a shame they are rip offs 1/2 the time(quite a lot of knowledge in the forums there when you have filtered out the lets pretend gang). ive never been able to do a build for someone cheaper using overclockers.the cheapest normal are dabs, cconline and aria in no particular order.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  14. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I now avoid Aria, the last order I did with them, they messed it up, couldn't or wouldn't tell me what was going on, and then took over a month to pay my money back 'and that was after I got MasterCard involved'

It does however show the price difference 'nearly £40'

I'll probably get it from Scan.

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

As long as we're on the tread of budget overclocking, how many of you got to play with the D-805 (Smithfield dual core) and or the previous single Prescott 506? These were great overclockers for the day and they were fun to challange. However overclocking a budget core comes at a cost. It needed quality cooling and a quality mobo and chipset with good power management to handle the 190W of power sucked up by an OC'd D-805 to 4.0GHz.

Since this is primarily a fun
    croud, who still has any of these in service? I can guess you guys never got into the D-8x0 or any 9 series since they wern't cheap for the day. The D-840 was a hell of an overclocker on the P5WDG2-WS

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    The D-940 got to 3.94GHz on air on a P5P800 SE MB! It's a slug compared to the 64x2s, the Conroes and it's descendants!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I'm not sure I understand the reply. Where did you read to indicate the Q9300 will have a lesser L2 cache version? And 2nd, I only mentioned it as it is lesser by over $100.00< I never quoted $316, that was, or is estimated for the Q9450 by the end of this month.

The real choice should be made by how much overclocking one wishes to do. Since the only difference from the Q9300 & Q9450 is stock multi, one needs to understand the limits of their mobo first.

To date, only binned P36s' and X38 can take a quad over 500FSB stable, so to get more out of a 7.5x multi you need 533FSB to hit the same 4GHz as the 9450.

Keep in mind, higher FSB for a quad is more a limitation of each the mobo, chipset, and memory controller. Very few select mobos today of X38 can tweak a quad to get 500+ FSB (DFI is one of the tops, followed by ASUS, even their P35 can do it).

This means that only willing overclockers who except the risk of the hobby need to be willing to overvolt each mobo chipset, MCH and CPU to get it there. It takes a lot out of current mobos to hold 4GHz on a quad, but I do it, have done it and will do it again ((hopefully easier w/ Yorkfield).

Clock On!

18. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hey guys whats up. Listen not to butt in on your conversations but i thought you might find this interesting to read If you haven't already. Seeing as yous were talking about video card before. Its a bit long of a review but i think its a good article. Benchmarking the Benchmarks

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah it's pretty good that they use real world frame rates, makes their word much more believable.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no. the q9300 has 6mb of cache, and the q945 has 12mb. (thast another sifference, and a big one may i add :D)