1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Really? As far as features and performance goes, it's excellent for the price isn't it?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It cost me £4 more than my P5N-E SLI and only has one PCIe 16x slot, but it works, and that is worth far more than an extra PCIe slot I can tell you. Plus two additional S-ATA ports, not that I'm currently using them.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have 8 SATA ports, I only use 2...

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I only use two of the six on my P35 board. There are only 4 ports on my server's board and I ideally need six!

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I have all 8 SATA ports populated 7 in permanent use with 2 optical, 5 HDD’s and 1 external SATA on case which gets used once a week.

I also have all 8 rear USB’s in use, 1 firewire and both Ethernet ports.

This is one good thing about my board 'the connectivity' which I need.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Blimey, that's an impressive amount of connectors. Two gigabit ports would be nice, I've had to install a Belkin PCI card to directly network my server. The S-ATA ports aren't really that much of a necessity on my main PC, I just wish I had a board with that many for my server - thing is, it seems pointless buying a full on gaming motherboard for a PC that doesn't have a graphics accelerator in it most of the time, it doesn't even need onboard graphics!

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have heard it thru the grapevine that intle have stopped shipping the duo wolfdales to uk retailers due to manufactoring defect and they will only be back in stock around the 11th of next month.

not the news i was looking for after i just told my mate to stick his q66 on fleabay as i was going to get a 8400, well still am.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's possible but I've heard this before, it's more often than not "we didn't make enough".

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'll chase up Scan, as they are supposed to be giving updates if anything changes on the order ie. major delay.

My order is still sat in 'paid but not picked' status at the moment.

If its going to be that long, I think I'll change the order to the Q9450, as that is supposed to out about a week after that.

I've not heard any reports from users who either got the first UK batch, or chips from the States, Do you have any more detail of what exactly the problem is?

I also see OC'ers UK are still apparently in stock 10+, it's been saying that for quite a while, either they have no issues with their stock, or they never had any to start with, and have been taking the orders and expecting to get away with it?

If anyone has managed to order and take delivery of an E8400 from Overclockers UK post 12th Feb let me know 'cheers'

I also popped another 2GB of Dominator 8500C5 in my basket at the same time £61 INC VAT (too good to be ignored) thats a third of the price I paid for my set I already own 'shows how times have changed with DDR2'

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With overclockers I'd assume the latter. I've placed a lot of orders with them where the item apparently went out of stock after I ordered it, but too shortly afterwards for me to actually get what I asked for. The OcUK stock on their site is manually updated (It baffles me why) so if 20 people order something in a day, if there were only 6 there, tough luck for 14 of you, your order will either be cancelled or won't get dispatched until some real stock actually arrives.

I agree on the DDR2, my first set of PC6400C4 XMS2 cost me £135 from Dabs in January. The latter set I bought last month was £30, and it's only £40 new...

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if they do have the stock, then they are stingy....with £164 tag.

but then again, you pay premium for the onyl shop in the uk ot have stock.

i webnote them, and they said, once more stock is available, ie freely in scan, ebyer, etc, they will reduce the price to under £130, which is just off the E6750 :)

EDIT, called about stock, and they said they have quite a lot in stock.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

no details just that they had stopped shipping stock till it has been fixxed, could be related to the temp sensor but thats just my guess.

i want a new proc to play with, hhmm an old p4 sounds like it might be a good idea :D

tell me about it with the price of ddr2, about this time last year 2gb of cas4 ddr800 cost me £180 ush and i just bought 4gb of cas5 ddr100 for £60.

you all seen the news about ageia physx on a gpu? another reason to buy a second gpu.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've seen the reported problems with the sensors, it appears that they show the temps are too high even at stock, but the people I've seen reporting it have been Asus users and they don't mention what they are using to do the readings, I've found plenty of issues with PC Probe so I never install it on my Asus PCs anymore, core temp is far more reliable, so is Everest

Scan still showing the E8400 as awaiting stock, so have cancelled that order and ordered the E8500 instead, should give a bit more to play with, even if it is an extra 0.5 multi.

That now isn't due to turn up until monday as I wasn't going to pay over £20 postage for Saturday delivery.

I finished lapping my 630 tonight and the mobo is all sealed ready to fix the phase head, my bits haven't turned up so I can't fit it yet.

My voltage mods and cap mod are all working, so no sparks seen on latest power-up after doing them.

I'm keeping a log on the latest efforts as well this time around so I can post some info if anyone needs it if they tread down the road of phase cooling.

Once or if I've mastered the art, I intend to build the whole system into a V2000 or V2100 case, so the water cooling and phase are all inside, pretty much like the big cube I built but hopefully a more usable system that doesn't take up half my desk.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i know there the only ones in stock but fu(k me

£176.24

E8400

OMFG!!!

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

£11 under the E8500, plus their shipping rates are one of the highest.

It about sums that place up, but if 'big if' people are stupid enough to pay the prices they are charging, then they deserve to get ripped off.

I don't trust a word they say either, I bought the P5WD2 as a b-grade from there, I phoned and asked if it had the IO shield, they said all their b-grade boards came with IO shields.

When it didn't I phoned to be told that they would never say that, as they never come with IO shields, the board was cheap anyway so I didn't take it any further, but it's the last time i ever deal with them as they are just a bunch of *$%****^5%4$ 'please fill in your own description'

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

tbh, the stuff i have bought has never been more expensive than other places. i get it normally next day, even though its meant to be 2-5 days. and postage for the bigger and heavier items is fair, btu for lesser items, if you buy them their self, is crap.

and i havent had a bad experiance with them.

yes their prices for some stuff if crap, but for others, well for my purchases, have been stop on.

PS never buy B grade in the first place :p

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    I tried the CPUID that someone posted earlier and it's not as accurate as Everest 4.0 Corporate edition which is spot on! I think it has to do with the different methodology in how the sensors are read. Voltages are far more accurate, as well. I get a bit suspicious when I don't see the numbers move at all! LOL!! As far as Core temps vs CPU temp, the difference is the ability of your CPU cooler to remove the heat from the CPU, faster than the cores can make it! Under full load the numbers are a lot closer!

I always had problems running SpeedFan or Sandra for system Information on the last 2 Asus boards. PC Probe was better! Then someone gave me a copy of Everest Beta Edition 3.86 and I could read the information with it. Sandra Professional Business XIB doesn't read everything properly on my DS3R either. Some of the voltages are way off! The 12v reads 2.06v, while the Everest 4.20 Corporate Edition reads it at 12.26v, the actual voltage value which I've confirmed and are accurate to 2-4 hundredths of a volt!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: They said they do, but since when does that mean anything? They say they offer next day delivery, that's only true half the time.
    I don't mean to be unduely unfair to a retailer, but OcUK are very close to the bottom in terms of my success with them as a seller compared to all the other places I've used. I've done business with ebuyer, Aria and Scan more for each than I have with OcUK, and it has to be said you get fewer issues. Scan and Ebuyer are sometimes late with deliveries too, but at least they tell you. With overclockers you just have to wait and hope it turns up.
    As for physics on the graphics card, I'll wait for the benches thanks very much... especially since I need a second board to get two PCIe 16x slots, that and the fact that I need an nvidia chipset, after having had two fail on me, no thanks.
    BigDK: I couldn't agree more. The forum is a sham as well. It's for the reasons that you mention that I avoid B grade stuff. It's essentially the same as buying from ebay. If what you get isn't what you want, tough luck!
    Russ: Perhaps unsurprisingly, Speedfan will bluescreen all recent DFI boards. DFIStreet says it's because the program's incompatible apparently!

19. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've done CPU OC'ing so I may have forgotten a few things. Just needed to ask, is it possible to unlock the multiplier on my ASUS K8V-X mobo? I've heard of custom BIOS' and desoldering pins on the board but I haven't found anything about my board. I need it since I remember last time I tried to OC, my memory was getting screwed and the PC locked up occasionally with a BSOD so I assume a higher multiplier will help keeping the FSB low. I also haven't found any direct memory speed selectors either so it just uses the FSB.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't know about the unlocking multi on the Motherboard.

Are you sure it had no memory multi settings? That seems weird.