1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Unfortunately, there is no multiplier for anything. The memory is a measly DDR400 so I'm limited to 200MHz FSB or lower if I don't want memory lock ups and the only way to OC is to obviously raise the FSB. I know that this processor can go up from 1.8GHz to 2.3GHz without a problem but it's the stupid FSB that's constricting me. I would rather have slower memory by a margin and a much faster CPU frequency than a overspeed memory and a fast CPU frequency as it's much more stable and still fast.

All I want is a 11x-12x multi so I would have 200 for FSB and 2.2GHz-2.4GHz CPU.

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

First off, you want to utilize the down dividers for RAM so you can up the FSB. This is the VIA KT800 (not the "Pro") chipset so it has no unlink, you must choose a preset for either DDR333 or less to keep RAM under DDR400 when overclocked. The mobo allows the CPU unlock if the CPU does, and if so stick to the evens of 10, 9 8 etc as the .5's change something in the CPU/RAM ratio and end DDR and FSB speed. I never realy overclocked on VIA but I know they can to a bit. Most the s754's I had to play with wern't the best of overclockers even on good ASUS mobos and a lot of budget CPU's were locked anyways. If you must stay on s754, I'd at least would have opt'd for an nForce4 for that time. I had better luck with them, especially the SLI versions, but then I never stuck with Athlon 64 for socket 754. I'm sure others here can share their OC experiences with that socket and chipset.

Good luck.

3. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

So in other words, change the DDR limit to something below DDR400, right? If so, I've done that before, all the way to DDR200 which is the lowest it would go and that was the only speed that the computer would boot on with my raised FSB. Still it took a week before the BSOD and I'm worried it might happen again if I redo this.

BTW, if my memory doesn't support 166*2 (DDR333) or any other and the limit is set to it, is it possible that this could be causing the lock ups and memory errors? Just wondering since one stick of RAM support 133,166,200 while the other doesn't support 133.

Thanks for all the help and I wish I had an nForce board right now. I upgrade my PC every five years and I still have another two to go. I'm not that demanding with speed anyways so it doesn't really bother me. My next board will definitely be the latest nForce, perhaps 8 if they come out with it in 2010.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Having a non matched pair of memory sticks is going to add another area of instability, if you are determined to OC this system you may want to replace the memory with a matched pair or at least get an extra stick that matches the best one you have, and remove the other from the system.

You should also download memtest and you can then test the memory settings at low level through dos 'you need a floppy drive' easiest method although there is also an ISO version now.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  5. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Well the funny thing is they're exactly the same models but the chips were made differently. One was made by Kingston as well as the chips, and the other was made by Kingston with the exact same model but the chip was made by Nanya and the stick looks different as well. I've had it for quite some time now.

As for OC'ing, I currently limited ram to DDR333 and set the FSB to 244 and am getting 2.2GHz freq (from my old 1.8GHz) and my ram is at exactly 200MHz like before. I also changed my HT speed since I was thinking that this may have been an issue as well. I changed it from 800MHz to 600MHz but with the OC, the HT speed is 732MHz which is fine for me. I know that both sticks have the ability to do DDR333 so I assumed it would be fine.

Also, I should probably mention that I'm using cpu-z to report all this info. It's been very handy for me.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nanya chips are awful in my experience, it's probably low quality memory that's causing your BSODs. Using a pair of proper Kingston chips you could probably use the same settings and not get the Blue screen.

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

My E8500 is now not happening, even though stock was still showing as in, they are now out of stock until next month.
    Have binned that order and have now pre-ordered the Q9450 as it should be in at the same time.

Finally got my phase cooler fired up in anger again on the P5WD2, run number 3 had the P4 650 running at 5.1GHZ 300x17, so the volt mods are now starting to do their tricks as I couldn't get that high a fsb before.

Will start doing some bench tests tomorrow hopefully, picking up a new puppy in the morning so will likely get distracted.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I daresay that's a worthy distraction! :)

9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Failing Orthos after 30 mins ao far, need to do some tweakingwith the settings to get it stable and then see exactly how far I can push it, hopefully over 5.5GHz.

This also shows the difference in core technology performance, even at 5.1GHz it doesn't beat my E6600 at stock speed 2.4GHz at 1M SuperPi.

Main point though isn't benching, but perfecting the art of insulation, which touch wood seems to be okay this time around.

Diode can't handle the extreme temps either is every tool is reading +121'C 'get the eggs ready'

[​IMG]

10. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

I'll see if I get can get this memory if it's any good:

Kingston HyperX 1GB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR Kit

If it still isn't good enough feel free to browse this area of the site:

PC3200 DDR400 Memory Express

and tell me which one I would benefit with a good OC from. And please don't tell me it's the $100+ Mushkin :p Also I don't want anymore than one gigabyte and I want to replace both of my ram as well. I think this is the one I bought both of:

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM CAS 3

Thanks for all the help so far.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You do realise CAS3 is terrible for DDR1 right?
    2-2-2-5 is what you should be aiming for...

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Most higher quality DDR Cas3 will run tighter timings. I ran my Corsair Value Select's at Cas2, 2-2-2-5 with no problems. For what benefit he gets out of it, I think this would be his best choice of what they show in his link!

Best Regards,
    Tuss

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really? I've got some Value Select too, I must try that, for esses and gees!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I had it paired with my XMS cas2, all running at cas2 at 2-2-2-5 in my d-940! The Value Select I had was cas2.5!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I tried doing 4Ghz again but my memory just wont do it. Maybe I should take it to 2.4v? lol I wouldn't even consider that, or would I...

What do you guys think?

The Max I can make right now is in my sig, just click on it because the text is hard to read.

17. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Dang, do I really need 2GB :S Better crank out the money for this one but I just hope it actually makes a difference with OC'ing.

For future reference, which brand of RAM is the best in terms of quality and performance? This was my first custom PC and the next PC I build is hopefully going to be a lot more efficient with this kind of stuff. The parts I prefer for my next PC are as follows:

Baseboard: ASUS (nForce 8 chipset if available)
    CPU: AMD CPU (as long as it overclocks a fair amount)
    Memory: No memory preference (need suggestions)
    HDD: Western Digital (very reliable for me)
    PSU: Enermax (don't really care as long as it's efficient)
    GPU: nVidia 9 series (10 if available and affordable)
    CD/DVD: LG BD/HD-DVD drive (or alternative if better)

But I still have another two years until 2010 arrives. For now I'll be hoping that I can squeeze every bit of juice from this computer. As I mentioned a long while back my 6600GT had burnt from heat, so I bought a 7600GT for the time being which is much cooler and meets my needs perfectly.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So my memory didn't overclock to 1000mhz but at 900mhz it runs fine at 4-4-3-8 lol.

That has to count for something right?

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Overclocking with 4GBs and 4 slots at that is stressfull on any mobo and chipset. What is your rated RAM speed and timings, and what chipset are you overclocking again?

4GBs and 4 slots especially requires more FSBT, MCH and chipset and if on an up-divider, even more of al of of the above. And of corse a bit more vdimm.

I got Crucial Ballistics Tracers PC2-8500's to 1200 as 2x1gb on both P35 and x38 as 2.28 @ 5-5-5-15 and 1.5v on NB, 1.47v FSBT, but if at 4x1gb (4G) can only get 1152 and now needed 2.3v vdimm, 1.52FSBT, and 1.6v NB (x38) to just barely keep 5-5-5-15.

As for what brands are good, everybody has their own view. Mine is toward OCZ, Crucial, then Corsiar. But I do like G-Skull, Mushkin & Geil. I go with OCZ for good stable overclocking and as is stock cooling (for those not willing to mod heat spreaders) and easy & quick RMA (if ever needed), then Crucial for high OC (but must be willing to add better cooling), then to Corsiar for stock tight timings but not always the top OC'r.

Hope this helps.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm only using two sticks of 1GB PC-6400 Crucial Ballistix RAM.