1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

So I should just experiment then? I'll try to set it to 1.55V then 1.57... until I get something fair and stable.

2. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

Can someone tell me how to overclock my ram?
    Ive overclocked my CPU & GPU but having difficulties with the ram.

My current setup is:
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.2GHz
    Asrock K8Upgrade motherboard
    2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 PC3200
    Nvidia Geforce 6600

Thx for any help/advice :D

3. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Hehe, you want to OC your ram but I wish I could easily avoid it :p When you raised your FSB, your ram went along with it, as did everything else unless you have a multiplier. If you use CPU-Z and you see your ram is the same speed as before, change the multiplier down a number or so if possible. I know I can't but wish I could.

I changed my voltage from 1.550V which I guess it was originally at to 1.575v which is a very small increase but programs report it went from 1.52V all they way to 1.64V! SiSoft says the wattage went from 83 to 102! And my temperature increased 5C on idle! Why did it jump so high?!

4. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I have ran Vista x64 alongside my reular XP x64 machines and I have not found any x64 drivers spacific to Vista that didn't load in XP x64. If there was issues, and there was, it was just Vista spiciffic, to app installer or sighning, not Ddriver.

Games to my knowledge do not utilize X64 let alone quad core, but did perform a bit smoother overall in an XP x64 wow64. I have to guess it has to do with the stable underlay of the kernal and the RAM addressing. Some correct me if they know more spaciffic.

It's been 5yrs of desktop workstation for XP x64 so so many drivers have come out each new and also updated. 3yrs ago it was limited if you used old or outdated hardware and was lmited to choices of virus scanners solely due to the NT kernal underlay of the XP x64 base. It is still NT Server kernal based and so is parts of Vista x64 but so many of the big Virus scanners have evolved to x64.

Few and few high end apps work without a tweak in x64 like Adobe apps , such as DVD Audio plug in 9Creative), PDF Printer. Audition 2.0 does not install regularly in Vista x64 (business & Premium, can't speak for lower versions). As for lack of support of Flash media, you simply open the x86 IE to use as before.

Weather you really need more then 4Gbs of RAM x64 just feels so much more smooth.

For Vista, overall system will be or feel slower if not up to par on hardware and resorces. Vista is a resorce hog but can be tuned to free up some of it back to end user, either x86 or x64.

For the the comment to say W98SE was faster then XP or 200, if you are speaking again of out dated hardware and limited resorces, then yes, the same story all over. Of corse 98SE with 128mb RAM will feel faster then XP with same 128mb RAM since it is running 192mn RAM just idilng. I also remember very limiting issues with multi CPU and RAID a big slowing factor of 98SE, and even 2000 compared to XP.

Just some more insight

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Are you sure you changed it a little bit? Maybe the power regulation on your motherboard isn't that great.

About the Ram, what part are you having trouble with? You can't overclock it any more, or you don't know how to?

6. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Yeah, it was at 1.550V default and I changed up 0.025V to 1.575V. Even the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS said it was 1.680V. That's waaayyy too much for what I'm doing and the idle temperature was 43C! At normal voltage it was only at 34C idle and 40C load. I don't want to even think about what it would've been at load :S

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I definitely think your voltage went up way more than it says in the BIOS just because of the temps.

I have no idea why it would be doing that though. Maybe you should talk to the manufacturer?

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

x64, Vista v/s XP Pro

When it comes down to overclocking, there'se no doubt, XP Pro for x64 is far more stable for today. I believe this has so much to do with its NT Kernal core base. Vista needs very much tweaking to get it smooth enough to really keep efficiant and stable under high stressfull overclocks. Keep in mind, this is said as of today and the last 12 months. As we move to better hardware and and maybe move more toward DDR3 on DX10 and ICH10R, we may see Vist start to shine as better fixes come about. It'll likely be XP replacing tryed and true 98SE. Software really needs to catch up as well to kee and or make it stable and worth overclocking with. For me, this is why I don't use it as my OC os, and daily system.

When Adobe Acrobat Pro, Priemiere Pro, & Audition are Vista x64 ready, then shell I.

9. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Well I can give a little extra info as to the PC restarting. First it doesn't restart anymore :p Instead it freezes and always when I'm playing a game or doing something 3D for about a 40minute period or shorter. Then about two seconds after it freezes, I hear a sound like the PC speaker beeping at a very fast interval, kind of like a very screwed up keyboard that's plugged in to the PS/2 port.

Forget changing the voltage as that's impossible to control. I just wish I could keep it stable at 2.2GHz as games run so much faster. Doom 3 ran at 59.6FPS on timedemo1 and at 70FPS when clocked at 2.2GHz. This is of course after I ran it twice to cache the game files in memory. A huge increase in my eyes. Crysis demo went from Medium settings 22FPS to 31FPS when OC'ed.

I currently have it at 2.01GHz but there's barely an increase in performance, or not noticeable to me. I wonder if I could find a s754 athlon 64 3700+ still available. I'd end up experimenting with OC'ing that too XD

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

@ rvinkebob,
    Provide us with a little bit more and I may be of some help if interested. A template of your CMOS options with each user set, and reported voltages is helpfull.

I only had a short time w/ the s754 and never on VIA, only the nForce 3 Pro. I did get early on an A64 3500+ Winchester and it was cool to OC a tad. I soon ended up with my last for the short lived socket w/ the A64 3700+ San Diago and it was a step forward. Now the nForce 3 wasn't the best chipset and nor was the s754, but I did get 2.8 on air with 1.47v using ThermalRight XP-90

What CPU do you have exactly? Even my Winchester 3500+ did 245FSB, just got nice 'n hot. If you can get a good price on the 3700+ San Diago or the smaller 512mb L2 version it'd give you an edge but the VIA will hold you back quite some for these cores. i'd try and get some DDR400 - DDR500 if you cant down divide on CPU:RAM ratio.

Good luck

11. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Well I'm gonna list the Advanced menu since that's pretty much all I use to OC. There may be one thing missing and a few things extra since I'm reading out of the manual for the mothreboard but I remember what my values are set to. It's the Advanced Tab/menu:

CPU Configuration -> HyperTransport (HT) Configuration -> HT Freq (600-800MHz)
    -> Data Width (Up) (8bit)
    -> Data Width (Down) (16bit)

-> Memory Configuration(ECC Disabled) -> Memclock Mode -> Limit (DDR-333)

Chipset -> Nothing related to OC

Onboard Devices Config -> Nothing related to OC

PCI PnP -> Nothing related to OC

JumperFree Config -> CPU FSB Freq (200-300MHz; set at 244)
    -> CPU Speed/Voltage Setting (Auto) Manual gives: Speed (800-1800MHz)
    Voltage (Shutdown, 0.800V- 2.00V)
    Set to Auto (1800MHz, 1.550V)
    -> DDR Voltage (Auto, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7V) Set to Auto
    -> AGP Voltage (1.5, 1.7V) Set to 1.5V
    -> V-Link Voltage (Auto, 2.5, 2.6V) Set to Auto
    -> Performance Mode (Auto, Standard, Turbo) Auto

Instant Music Config -> Nothing related to OC

And that's about it. I can down divide on CPU:RAM ratio, I have to or else the PC won't boot at 244MHz FSB.

CPU is:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ s754 Clawhammer

That's as detailed as I can make it.

Thanks for any info, and I'm interested in anything that can make this work.

12. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Sorry took so long guys. I was sick as a dog. But i read up on what you guys stated as far as OS's and Over clocking. Going to keep doing some more research as overclocking is for speeding up the pc and stuff i would like to add to it would a speedy OS as well

13. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

From my personal experience, Server 2003 R2 is faster and much more stable then both Vista and XP x86. XP x64 is more stable then XP x86 and most Vista (only if Vista install was tweaked), but is more stable for OC break-in till you know ehre it's stable. Then I'd go Server "converted as workstation" for daily use and reliability, speed and smooth performance.

Just keep in mind a few apps like Adobe Audition, PDF print or creator need tweaks to install. I have had no major issues with install and play of PC games except for where the game installer doesn't know what to do with default folder install directory. X64 server or xp defaults to Programs Files (x86), just remover the (x86) to complete install.

will be testing Vista Server x64 soon for performance, and have a working Vista Businessx64 desktop to tweak for speed. The Server version already looks promising, so much of the bloatware is off by default, and I get to enable only what I need or want.

14. rvinkebob

rvinkebob Regular member

Alright, I'm just gonna forget about 2.2GHz. I just went to 234FSB (2.11GHz) and it's pretty stable so far. I'm assuming that I could go as high as 2.25GHz before because my old video card (6600GT AGP) wasn't as power demanding as my new one (7600GT AGP). Though I get around 7FPS higher which is quite a nice boost so I'm just gonna leave it at 234FSB for now.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I like the 7600GT, it's a very good card.

16. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i agree. my old 7600 was nice. it was an amazing overclocker. i was better at overclocking than my 8800gt is.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got the big red machine up and running again with a clean XP install. i think that might have been the problem i was haveing getting over 3.33ghz on my E8400. gonna try 3.51ghz tonight when i get home and see how it does on this XP install.

18. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

Im still trying to overclock my ram or any tips to make my PC,
    run better when playing games but am unsure where to start.

In my BIOS under the advanced section are the following options:

Actual Frequency (MHz) - 221
    Processor Maximum Multiplier - x10 2000MHz
    Processor Maximum Voltage - 1.550v
    Processor Multiplier - x10 2000MHz
    Processor Voltage 1.475v
    Memory Clock - 200MHz DDR400
    Flexibility Option - Enabled
    Burst length - 4 Beats
    CAS Latency (CL) - Auto (Can change to 2.0, 2.5, 3.0)
    MA Timing - 2T

Under the Chipset Settings are the following options:

DRAM Voltage - Auto
    AGP Voltage - Auto
    Graphics Aperture Size - 64MB
    PCI Delay Transaction - Disabled
    IDE Drive Strength - Normal
    IDE Prefetch Buffer - Disabled
    HT Width - Auto
    HT Speed - Auto
    Suspend To Ram - Disabled

My current setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.2GHz
    Asrock K8Upgrade VM800 AGP Motherboard
    2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 PC3200
    Nvidia 6600 o/clocked
    Audigy Soundblaster 4

Any help/tips are much appreciated :D
    Thanks

19. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Try this for starters, follow the template,

Actual Frequency (MHz) - 221
    Processor Maximum Multiplier - x10 2000MHz (avoid .5x multi)
    Processor Maximum Voltage - 1.550v
    Processor Multiplier - x10 2000MHz
    Processor Voltage 1.475v
    Memory Clock - try DDR333 to allow room for FSB OC and get as close to DDR400 when OC's and tune as needed later when stable on CPU.
    Flexibility Option - Enabled (what other options are there, I'd set to mild, relax disable or something like that for now)
    Burst length - 4 Beats
    CAS Latency (CL) - Manual and configure to loos for testing, tighten as you get stable, ie: 3-3-3-8 for loose DDR400)
    MA Timing - 2T

Under the Chipset Settings are the following options:

DRAM Voltage - 2.8v (2.75v OK if available)
    AGP Voltage - 1.55v (will help with FSBT andf MCH OC, for more RAM and CPU FSB)
    Graphics Aperture Size - 64MB
    PCI Delay Transaction - Disabled
    IDE Drive Strength - Normal
    IDE Prefetch Buffer - Disabled
    HT Width - Auto
    HT Speed - Auto
    Suspend To Ram - Enable not related to OC but needed to allow Stand By (S3) function, but disable Cool And Qiuet if enabled and especially if OC over 221FSB)

If you have settings for PCI/AGP fix to 33/66, Disable any other CPU RAM or performance boosters during OC test, They will only get in the way and make unstable. You may add later as you find suitable.

For now, leave anu type of video card OC out of it as it will play no part in the basic CPU/RAM OC and only confuse if the VGA becomes unstable on its own. Once tested as stable, you can go for VGA OC as usual.

Good Luck

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

I know it's not some CRAZY OC but it's stable for 2+ hours on Orthos and the temps seem OK to me.

During test

After test Went a little over 2 hours and this was taken a couple of minutes after the test.

I will say this there were some "strange" voltage readings during the test. Does anyone else see these "anomalies" ??

....gm