1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

2. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

I noticed this turned more toward a GPU Overclocking tread so maybe somebody here can help.

My m8 has old PC with dual nV6600-GT's and one is not working correctly on its own as a single primary. Also when tested in my 590i ASUS P5N32-SLI it rendered with a white line down the left edge about 1" in from left side. It was the 2nd card and I dont have this mobo anymore to test as single primary.

It can install fine, load to XP x64 SP2 but as soon as I install firmware for it (this was back in Feb of last year - first of 9x series) it would not allow me to open up many type of media video files without crashing and restart. It happened on both the ASUS A8N-SLI nV-NF4-SLI as single, in each slot, and on Abit AW9D MAX !975X ATI Crossfire in each slot. This was a year ago but woudering if this was noted or been worked around or an issue with this model. I never had it happen with my , then, 7900 and older 6800 Ultra's. They belong to a friend and he cant find the receipt for RMA and they are PNY. I'd like to give him an extra mobo but he needs to have this card work on either one. Can they be firmware flashed like back with the old nV-MX4000's from LeadTek and others?

Any thoughts or ideas?

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I use core temp, and Everest, bot give good results and the latter is useful for testing as well.

I presume your system is the one that you built from the list provided.

How did everything go, and have you played any games yet?

4. inkleach

inkleach Guest

It went pretty good man,had a little help from one of my pals in the end tho.
    Not played anythin too demanding,running stalker with everythin maxed out tho.
    Yeah the system is the one i built just recently,just tryin to get that little extra kick outta it tho

5. inkleach

inkleach Guest

ok,using core temp...

Tj Max - 85C
    core #0 - between 28-30C
    core # - between 28-30C

thats before ive tweaked anything
    How far, safely, do u think i can push it?

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You will be able to get it to 3.0GHz without any issues
    333x9
    Depending on the the board and cpu you may get away with default voltage.

The E2160 is rated at the following voltages 0.85V – 1.5V

That CPU should get all the way up to 3.6GHz on that board, but that is going to require some good cooling on the CPU.

As suggested by Sammorris, use Orthos to strain the system, this will show the max temps under a controlled stress test and also show if its stable.

Thermal Specification: 61.4°C as stated by Intel.

At 333x9 you'll have to either use a divider on the memory (P35/X38) seem very good at this) and take it up to or just over 6400.

You can then either tighten or relax the memory timings, I would just use 1:1 for now with slack timings and concentrate on getting the CPU and board stable.

A good read on your board is here: (Courtesy of Xtremesystems)
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161618

7. inkleach

inkleach Guest

well im using Orthos on my system just now, pushed cpu speed up to 2011MHz
    Both cores are going no higher than 51C tested on orthos and 31C idle,i think i'de be happy settling for 2.4GHZ,but im not too sure of what the actual safe temp i should'nt go past is?

8. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Stick within the rated temperature from Intel 61.4'C

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not that I'd take my CPU above that, but 61.4C seems pretty low, I remember my old Athlon XP ran at 77C for many months without issues.

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

oh hey! BigDK is back!

on my board the normal voltage is 1.3500v i Can't clock pass 2.0Ghz without increasing the volts, it's b/c of my crappy board. If i had a P35/X38 Gigabyte board i should be able to clock it to 2.8ghz without raising the volts.

Oh by the way my friend said that someone lowered there cpu volts below the normal and it runs stable on default clock speed, is that possible? I've lowered my volts to 0.5xxxV and my pc won't boot(that was stupid)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can get away with about 0.9V at stock clock speed usually I think. As for the overclock, I don't think your board can be entirely to blame for requiring more voltage.

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so you saying i can lower my voltage on stock speed, doesn that mean i can overclock further?

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

opposite actually. the lest volts going through, the less you can clock. it just means you can run the chip at stock, on lower volts

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

load of crap ^^

forget what i've said

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't wish to be rude here. Think about what you just wrote carefully. It should pretty obvious what the answer's going to be.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

if it was naturally 0.9 then presuambly, yes. but if 2.4 dont work with less than X, then even if you lower it before OCing, itll still need X

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup. What a lot of people do for PCs that don't see much demand is drop the voltage by quite a substantial amount and underclock it until it's stable. A 2.66Ghz CPU may use 70W normally at say 1.3V, but if you can get it to 1.0V, even if it only runs at 1.8Ghz, leave it at that, and enjoy half the power consumption. It's something I'm considering doing with my server, it doesn't really need all the power of a 4200+!

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Greetings GTR35, yes I'm back, I have some time again to play PCs and such like.

Going back to your last question:
    Abraham Lincoln has provided the perfect quote as an answer :)

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Sorry about the stupid question with obvious answer

@Sam
    You Have A Server?

@BidDK
    Yeah long time no see, welcome back!

guys if someone ask me why do i overclock and they also say it is stupid to do so, how and what should i reply?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Tell them you are getting the performance of a 1000 Dollar+ CPU for free!