1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Tell them they're an idiot, and then tell them what Abuzar said...lol

And yes look at my specs page, my second PC is a file server.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

thats a great way to reply! thanks guys

Damn sam, you get too much cash!

It has being so long, CPU are getting smaller and smaller but it still havn't break 4ghz stock speed why?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It does seem odd, but thinking about it, they don't need to. An E8400 at 3Ghz will kick the living daylights out of a Pentium D at pretty much any single figure Ghz you can think of!

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm sure a E8400 wont be beating a Pentium D at 9ghz. You know 9 raised to the 10th power.

In my find that's a single figure...

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, I see 9^10 as just that. A single figure will not contain powers unless it's the answer of something that does.

[/thislineofdiscussion]

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, you don't recognize jokes do you? lol Always politically and gramaticelly correct.

That's right, I mis-spelled it. Take it all in.

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

LOL! i love watching you two argueing, it's seriously entertaining.

Just wonder why, matbe in another 10 years there will be a cpu at 5ghz stock speed. Thats gonna be awesome

Btw What will nvidia's next gen graphics card called, after the 9-series.

the X(roman numeral for 10) series?

And how small will the cpu go? 90nm -> 65nm -> 45 -> 32 -> ?

Sorry just really want you guys comment or thought

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

Its not the speed that matters. it is how many operation you can do at in one cycle.

9. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Eventually computers will be so small that we will just be imagining they are there.

Look mommy I'm playing Crysis 2067 in my Head at 700FPS at the resolution of life!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Every time I make jokes people don't notice and think I'm serious, so I try and keep them to a minimum... :p
    GTR: That's what ATI did when they got to 10, so I doubt it

12. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I was just wondering how I can go about overclocking my cpu, ram and video card without damaging the hardware?
    Do I have to overclock my RAM to OC my CPU? What about the video card?
    My timing on my RAM is 215.0 MHz CPU/11 2 3 2 5 11 1t 16 clocks according to CPU-Z.
    I'm also not sure about how to set the right voltage.
    My temperature right now is around 25-29 'C
    My CPU is set at 215 right now at 2.37ghz

Here's my old setup from 4 years ago >.<

XFX PVT42GUAD7 GeForce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
    ECS KN1 Extreme 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sorry man but I don't think you will overclock much on that motherboard.

14. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

If I intent to upgrade my parts next black friday, should I buy every component again?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

krj15489,
    Speed matters, as without it there's not as many clock cycles to begin with! That's where the memory comes in. Most of those clock cycles are controlled by the memory timings, and I don't mean just the 4-4-4-12 settings! I have a slew of sub-timings I can adjust in my DS3R, and I've spent months gaining clock cycles by tightening up all of them, one clock cycle at a time and then testing! They do add up! It fattened my memory bandwidth up by over 5000MB/s to 7800+MB/s and has improved the throughput to the extent that it's noticeably faster in operation. Even though Sandra shows a minimal improvement in CPU Math numbers, both the memory bandwidth and the Multi Media scores improved dramatically.

I've lowered my CPU speed from 3.55 to 3.5GHz, as 3.55 was about the limit for my memory, until I can get some Crucial Ballistix 1066 memory to replace it. I just didn't like sitting just a couple MHz away from a crash! I've gained back all but less than 1% of the speed I lost dropping the CPU 50MHz, and it's a much faster machine overall. I just did my first ever under 40 minute DVDRB/CCE 2 pass rebuild! Well under 40 minutes, at 35:10! A little over 5 minutes faster than when I did it the first time, before I slowed the computer down!

Less clock cycles = faster throughput = a much faster computer!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

First off, the timeings are as good as you can expect for DDR1. Probabaly can get to 219MHz (RAM) on 2.8v but thats bout it. 2-2-2-5 1T @ 2.75v if it was top end RAM.

Second, I dont know ECS enough to know the models, but most of their mid to low end dont OC for more then a 10% on average from what others tell me. If it is one of their better mobos, and they are trying, since they wannn' compete with ASUS in the enthusiast market, you may be able to drop the CPU/RAM divider below your rated spec if you want more FSB out of the CPU or mobo.

I can't tell you a lot about the way AMD fixes the CPU/RAM dividers once you change the multi anc FSB, but I'm sure others here have a lot more to share on that. I do notice for mine on DDR1 and 939, it does better on even x multi of 10,8,7 etc, no .5x. It appears to keep 1:1 if set to DDR400 (or 200MHz) and on even multi.

Anybody have a good math formula to calculate the CPU:RAM ratio on AMD X2 on 939 when OC'n each the HTT link and FSB as well as changing RAM Frequency? Not even my ASUS pre calculate it like my nVidia for Intel Editions.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ECS boards are terrible, if you're going to upgrade, get a Pentium Dual core (E2160 for example, NOT a Pentium D), a decent gigabyte board and some Corsair or Crucial DDR2 RAM. You can keep your graphics card if you like.

18. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

The guy didn't ask about spending over $220.00 more, or if he did, sorry, I missed that.

Otherwise just replacing the mobo for a nice nForce4-SLI would make a world of difference for now as low as $50.00 - $100.00 with a DFI or ASUS. I personally liked DFI for nf4-SLI, they offered the best features next to ASUS but I felt they were better optimised for AMD and nVidia. The GPU is totally fine fow unless you must have the latest in bench scores and frame rates.

But if open to upgrading to newer DDR2 (about another yr of service if that) and new CPU and mobo then go for it, it will be nicer and much more stable to OC.

Good Luck!

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

He asked if he should upgrade every component and Sam gave him choices...

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    I did it, and it turned out to be a very stupid thing to do considering I never had any plans to run it that fast, as it exceeds my "self imposed" CPU voltage limit of 1.50v. If I had burned out the CPU, I would have been out of luck! All because I tried to get it to a speed that I'll never use!

Best Regards,
    Russ